List of light sources

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Light emission)
Jump to: navigation, search
Atmospheric lightning, which can be a spectacular source of illumination

This is a list of sources of light, including both natural and artificial processes, and devices that emit light. In this list, light is considered to be electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. The list is also limited to sources of light, as opposed to objects such as the Moon that provide light by reflection. Torches, fires, lamp, fluorescent lights and other similar objects are all light sources. The Sun and the Stars both provide light.

What makes/is a shadow? A shadow is made when an object is placed in front of the light source. A shadow is just like a reflection of the object, except it is black.

How does light travel? Light travels as a wave. Though unlike water or sound waves, they do not need a material/matter to carry them. Light can go through a vacuum, a completely airless space and it will come out untarnished.

How does light help us to see? When light goes into your eye, it bends (refracts) on your Cornea and goes to your Retina, a tiny black screen at the back of your eye. This is a bit like a cinema, the image is displayed on the big screen from a little screen at the back of the cinema. When transparent objects (i.e. glass) have light shone through them only 90% of it goes through the object. The other 10% refracts and goes to your eye. With a misty object (i.e. bathroom windows) only 50% of the light shone through goes through the object. The other 50% refracts and goes to your eye. With an opaque object (i.e. cupboards) 0% of the light goes through the object. The other 100% refracts and goes to your eye. When the light refracts and goes to your eye, it gives your eye the colour of the object, so it goes via the nerve to your brain in a sort of message so your brain can then decide what parts of your body should/should not move. This is a bit like your sibling telling you to do something that your parent wants you to do.

What is a light source? A light source is an accelerator. It provides exceptionally intense/high beams of X-Rays, UV Rays and Infrared Rays.


The Sun
Nebula and stars
Starry sky, the Milky Way, and a shooting star

Celestial and atmospheric[edit]


Bioluminescent fungus
Radioluminescent watch face

Nuclear/high-energy particle[edit]

Direct chemical[edit]


Color temperature comparison of common electric lamps
Color temperature comparison
A 230-volt incandescent light bulb, with E27 base
Filament of an incandescent closeup

General types[edit]


Incandescent lamps[edit]

See also: Incandescence

Electroluminescent (EL) lamps[edit]

Main article: Electroluminescence

Gas discharge lamps[edit]

Main article: Gas discharge lamp
A General Electric NE-34 glow lamp

High-intensity discharge lamps[edit]


Semiconductor lasers


Small fire in a fire pit
A candle




An oil lamp


Nuclear and high-energy particle[edit]

Čerenkov radiation


From space, an entire city emitting light

See also[edit]


External links[edit]