Light the Torch
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Light the Torch
Light the Torch performing in 2016 as Devil You Know
|Also known as||Devil You Know (2012–2017)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Metalcore, heavy metal, hard rock|
|Associated acts||Killswitch Engage, Blood Has Been Shed, Devolved, All Shall Perish, Bleeding Through, Hiss of Atrocities|
|Past members||Roy Lev-Ari|
Light the Torch (formerly Devil You Know) is an American metalcore band formed in Los Angeles, California, United States, in 2012. They currently are signed to Nuclear Blast Records and have released three albums; The Beauty of Destruction andThey Bleed Red, which were released under the "Devil You Know" moniker, and their latest album, Revival, which was released on March 30, 2018 under the "Light the Torch" name.
Devil You Know (2012–2017)
The band started when guitarist Francesco Artusato (All Shall Perish, Hiss of Atrocities) and drummer John Sankey (Devolved) began jamming and writing together in 2012. After 30 to 40 song ideas were written the two decided to look for a vocalist. A couple of early demo recordings were sent to Howard Jones (Killswitch Engage, Blood Has Been Shed) who subsequently got interested and joined the band in late 2012. They named the band "Devil You Know."
On October 23, 2013 it was announced the band signed to Nuclear Blast. A day later the first demo song "Shut It Down" was released online through the band's Facebook page. On October 31, 2013 the demo was released officially through the label YouTube channel.
On December 19, 2013 it was announced that the band finished recording of the album and that bassist Ryan Wombacher (Bleeding Through) and guitarist Roy Lev-Ari (Hiss of Atrocities) joined the band.
It charted at the #50 in Billboard 200 selling nearly 6,000 units in the first week.
In June 2015, the band started recording the second album.
Light the Torch (2017–present)
On July 26, 2017, the band announced via social media that they have changed their name to Light the Torch, without explanation beyond stating "A full statement will be made soon and a new album is very close to being completed. It’s a new beginning and we couldn’t be more excited.” Jones revealed in an interview on October 13, 2017, that the band had to change its name due to legal issues surrounding Sankey's departure from the band, and how the latter wanted to claim part copyright of the name.
Light the Torch released their new studio album Revival on March 30.
- Francesco Artusato – lead guitar (2012–present)
- Howard Jones – lead vocals (2012–present)
- Ryan Wombacher – bass, backing vocals (2013–present)
- Mike Sciulara – drums (2018–present)
- John Sankey – drums (2012–2016)
- Roy Lev-Ari – rhythm guitar (2013–2015)
- Nick Augusto – drums (2016–2017)
- John Boecklin – drums (2016)
- Tyler Riley - rhythm guitar (2018-present)
as Devil You Know:
as Light the Torch:
- Revival (2018)
Awards and nominations
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2014||Devil You Know||Best New Band||Won|
- "Devil You Know". Facebookm. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know - DEVIL YOU KNOW signs to Nuclear Blast..." Facebook. 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 31, 2013. Retrieved March 28, 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Devil You Know - Shut It Down (Official Demo)". YouTube. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know Live Line-Up Announced". MetalSucks. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "DEVIL YOU KNOW - Soundwave 2014 (OFFICIAL GREETING VIDEO)". YouTube. 2014-02-11. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Ex Killswitch Engage Singer's Devil You Know: New Song 'Seven Years Alone' Available For Streaming". Blabbermouth.net. 2014-03-05. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "DEVIL YOU KNOW "Seven Years Alone" music video". Metal Injection. 2014-03-26. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know Taps Zeuss For Debut Album Mix". Blabbermouth.net. 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know - Here it is DYK fans : Devil You Know..." Facebook. 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Metal By Numbers 5/7: Whitechapel break into the top 10". Metal Insider. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know - It's official - DYK will be joining Black..." Facebook. 2014-02-12. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know - It'S Over (Official Video)". YouTube. 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "DEVIL YOU KNOW - As Bright As The Darkness (OFFICIAL VIDEO)". YouTube. 2015-03-09. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Devil You Know - DEVIL YOU KNOW to Begin Recording..." Facebook. 2015-05-11. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 11, 2015. Retrieved September 10, 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Devil You Know Get a Re-Brand". Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- "Howard Jones Explains The Drummer Drama That Caused DEVIL YOU KNOW To Change Names - Metal Injection". 16 October 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Episode 295 - Howard Jones (Light The Torch) & Trent Hafdahl (After The Burial) — The Jasta Show — Overcast". overcast.fm. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Light The Torch (Ex-Killswitch Engage) Detail New Album "Revival", Stream "Die Alone"". theprp.com. February 2, 2018. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 13, 2014. Retrieved April 12, 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)