List of lighthouses in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Lighthouses in France)
|Phare du Cap Leucate||Gulf of Lion||Aude||Cap Leucate
|Planier Light||Gulf of Lion||Bouches-du-Rhône||Île du Planier (Planier island)
||1959||A first tower was built in this location in 1320 by Robert d'Anjou.|
|Giraglia||Ligurian Sea||Haute-Corse||Giraglia island, north off Cap Corse||1848|
|Héaux de Bréhat lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||Côtes-d'Armor||Île-de-Bréhat
|Ploumanac'h lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||Côtes-d'Armor||Perros-Guirec
||1946||An older lighthouse dating from 1860 was destroyed in 1944 and replaced by the current structure.|
|Roches-Douvres Light||Atlantic Ocean||Côtes-d'Armor||Roches-Douvre reef between Île-de-Bréhat and Guernsey
||1954||At a height of 213 feet (65 m) it is the eleventh-tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world.|
|Sept-Îles lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||Côtes-d'Armor||Perros-Guirec
||1854||The first lighthouse, a round tower, was illuminated in May 1835, and then replaced in 1854 by a square tower 16 ft (5 m) taller. Destroyed 4 August 1944, it was rebuilt in 1949 and relit July 1952.|
|Triagoz lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||Côtes-d'Armor||Triagoz archipelago
|Ar Men||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||West off Île de Sein
|Phare d'Eckmühl||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Penmarc'h
||1897||The current tower replaced an older lighthouse constructed in 1835.|
|La Vieille||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Raz de Sein
|Phare du Creach||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Ushant island
|St. Mathieu lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Pointe Saint-Mathieu
||1835||The lighthouse was classified as a monument historique on 23 May 2011.|
|Île Vierge Lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Île Vierge
||1902||The current tower replaced an older lighthouse from 1845. The island is open to the public from April to September, as is the lighthouse, by appointment.|
|Phare de la Jument||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Off Ushant island
||1911||Jean Guichard's 1989 dramatic storm photo shots of the Jument lighthouse became an instant hit and earned him the 2nd place in the 1991 World Press Photo award.|
|Phare du Petit Minou||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Roadstead of Brest
||1848||Together with the phare du Portzic, Petit Minou lighthouse forms a range of lights into the roadstead.|
|Phare du Portzic||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Roadstead of Brest
||1848||Together with the phare du Petit Minou, Portzic lighthouse forms a range of lights into the roadstead.|
|Tourelle de la Plate||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Raz de Sein
|Phare de Tévennec||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Raz de Sein||1875|
|Phare de Nividic||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Ouessant
||1936||At a longitude of 5°09.1' W, this is France's westernmost lighthouse.|
|Phare de l'île aux Moutons||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||On an islet 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) southeast of Bénodet||1879|
|Phare de l'île Tristan||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Tristan Island off Douarnenez||1865|
|Phare du Millier||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||On a headland in the southern part of the Baie de Douarnenez||1881|
|Phare des Pierres Noires||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||On an islet 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) west off Pointe Saint-Mathieu||1872|
|Phare de Penfret||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Penfret, Glénan islands||1837|
|Phare de Roscoff||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Roscoff||1917|
|Phare de l'île de Batz||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||Île de Batz||1836||The lighthouse replaced an earlier building from 1705.|
|Phare de Pontusval||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||2 kilometres (1.2 mi) northwest of Brignogan-Plages||1869|
|Le Four Light||Atlantic Ocean||Finistère||At the northern entrance to the Chenal du Four||1874|
|Phare de l'Espiguette||Gulf of Lion||Gard||Pointe de l'Espiguette
|Cordouan lighthouse||Bay of Biscay||Gironde||Gironde estuary
||1611||The original tower was raised to 68 metres (223 ft) in the late 18th century.|
|Phare de Gatteville||English Channel||Manche||Barfleur
||1774||At a height of 75 metres (246 ft) it is the third tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world.|
|Goulphar lighthouse||Bay of Biscay||Morbihan||Belle-Île-en-Mer
|Dunkerque (Risban)||English Channel||Nord||Near Dunkirk
|Phare de Sainte Marie||Gulf of Lion||Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur||Marseille harbour||1855||The lighthouse is now inactive.|
|Île d'Yeu lighthouse||Bay of Biscay||Vendée||Île d'Yeu
||1950||The structure, designed by Maurice Durand, is the third serving the site; the original tower, constructed in 1830, was destroyed by German troops near the close of World War II.|
|L'Armendèche lighthouse||Bay of Biscay||Vendée||Les Sables-d'Olonne
||1968||The lighthouse was designed by Maurice Durand.|
|Pointe des Corbeaux lighthouse||Bay of Biscay||Vendée||Île d'Yeu
||1950||The lighthouse was designed by Maurice Durand.|
|Pointe du Grouin du Cou lighthouse||Bay of Biscay||Vendée||Pointe du Grouin du Cou
||1953||The lighthouse was designed by Maurice Durand.|
French Overseas Departments and Territories
|Amédée lighthouse||Coral Sea||New Caledonia||Amédée island
|Île Royale Lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||French Guiana||Île Royale||1934|
|L'Enfant Perdu Lighthouse||Atlantic Ocean||French Guiana||On an islet 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) north of Cayenne||1919||In 1968, the lighthouse was replaced by a buoy but due to persistent protests from mariners it was reactivated in 1989. It is now equipped with an automated solar-powered light.|
- Rowlett, Russ (10 March 2015). "Lighthouses of Corsica". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Rowlett, Russ. "The Tallest Lighthouses". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Notice No PA29000050" (in French). French Ministry of Culture.
- "Classement au titre des monuments historiques de plusieurs phares ou anciens phares du littoral" [Classification of many lighthouses and old coast lighthouses as historic monuments] (in French). 22 November 2010. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Phare de l’île Vierge". Sécurité maritime - Les Phares et Balises (in French). Ministry of Ecology, Energy, Sustainable Development and Sea. 30 June 2006. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "1991 Photo Contest". World Press Photo. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Rowlett, Russ (30 March 2014). "Lighthouses of Brittany: Southern Finistère". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Rowlett, Russ (6 April 2014). "Lighthouses of France: Northern Finistère". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Rowlett, Russ (21 March 2014). "Lighthouses of France: Morbihan". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Rowlett, Russ (6 March 2014). "Lighthouses of France: La Vendée". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Rowlett, Russ (11 February 2015). "Lighthouses of French Guiana". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 5 July 2015.