|Studio album by|
|Recorded||January 27, 1956|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey|
|Jackie McLean chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
Lights Out! is a studio album by saxophonist Jackie McLean, his debut on Prestige Records. It was recorded in 1956 and released the same year as PRLP 7035. The album was reissued on CD in 1990 (as Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-426-2/Prestige P-7035). It was re-issued on 180 gram vinyl by Analogue Productions in 2012.
Reviewing the 2012 vinyl re-issue, Joseph Neff said of the title track:
But if not a masterwork, it does have plenty to recommend, opening with the title cut, an extended slow blues that gives the horns and Hope's piano ample space for soloing, and while casual in intent the ambience is also quite far from uninspired. The first thing heard is Watkins, his fingers providing a big loping bedrock that never falters throughout the song’s thirteen minutes. Taylor rides with him and accents with skill, never becoming too busy. And all three solo flights are quite successful in working up the sophisticated soul-grease that was just starting to define the hard-bop form at the time this recording was made. I especially enjoy how towards the end McLean's and Byrd's horns tangle around in loose dialogue, offering summation after Hope finishes his superb solo.
- "Lights Out" (Jackie McLean) - 13:00
- "Up" (McLean) - 4:47
- "Lorraine" (Donald Byrd) - 6:26
- "A Foggy Day" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 6:24
- "Kerplunk" (Byrd) - 8:51
- "Inding" (McLean) - 6:30
- Jackie McLean - alto saxophone
- Donald Byrd - trumpet
- Elmo Hope - piano
- Doug Watkins - bass
- Art Taylor - drums
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (23 June 1956). "Billboard". Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 22 July 2018 – via Google Books.
- DownBeat:July 5, 1962 Vol. 29, No.14
- Allmusic Review
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 136. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 978. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- "The Jackie McLean Quintet* With Donald Byrd And Elmo Hope - Lights Out!". Discogs. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Graded on a Curve: Jackie McLean, Lights Out! - The Vinyl District". 7 November 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2018.