The lightweight division in mixed martial arts contains different weight classes:
- The UFC's lightweight division, which groups competitors within 146 to 155 lb (66 to 70 kg)
- The Shooto lightweight division, which limits competitors to 145 lb (65.8 kg)
- The ONE Championship's lightweight division, with an upper limit at 77.1 kg (170.0 lb)
- The Road FC's lightweight division, with an upper limit at 154 lb (70 kg)
Ambiguity and clarification
For the sake of uniformity, most American mixed martial arts media outlets consider Lightweight competitors to be between 146 and 155 lb (66 and 70 kg). This encompasses The Shooto Welterweight division (154 lb / 70 kg).
The UFC's lightweight division was reinstated at UFC 58 after falling into disuse following UFC 49. Sean Sherk, a former welterweight contender, defeated Kenny Florian at UFC 64, becoming the first UFC lightweight champion since 2002.
This table last updated in May 2022.
|Bellator MMA||November 5, 2021||Patricky Pitbull||24-10||0|
|ONE Championship||September 24, 2021||Ok Rae Yoon||16-3||0|
|ACA||September 19, 2020||Abdul-Aziz Abdulvakhabov||18-2||0|
|Cage Warriors||June 25, 2021||Joe McColgan||8-3-1||0|
|Fight Nights Global||Vacant|
|KSW||December 19, 2020||Marian Ziółkowski||23-8-1||1|
|Road FC||May 18, 2019||Mansour Barnaoui||19-4||0|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||Vacant|
Most wins in lightweight title bouts
- Note: the list includes wins in bouts for lightweight titles of major promotions (UFC, Strikeforce, WEC, Bellator)
- Note: the list includes both undisputed and interim champions
- Active title reign
|Name||Promotion||Title bout wins|
|1.||Gilbert Melendez||WEC, Strikeforce||10 (1 WEC, 9 Strikeforce)|
|2.||Benson Henderson||WEC, UFC||7 (3 WEC, 4 UFC)|
|Eddie Alvarez||Bellator, UFC||4 (3 Bellator, 1 UFC)|
|Frankie Edgar||UFC||3 (+1a)|
|Anthony Pettis||WEC, UFC||3 (1 WEC, 2 UFC)|
|Rafael dos Anjos||UFC|
Most consecutive defenses of lightweight title
|Name||Promotion||Consecutive title defenses|
- List of current MMA Lightweight champions
- List of UFC Lightweight Champions
- List of Strikeforce Lightweight Champions
- List of Pancrase Lightweight Champions
- List of Road FC Lightweight Champions
- a.^ Edgar's title defense against Gray Maynard at UFC 125 was a split draw. Edgar retained the Lightweight title. The two later rematched at UFC 136, with Edgar defeating Maynard via KO and defending his title.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". Association of Boxing Commissions. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Media related to Lightweight mixed martial artists at Wikimedia Commons