The lightweight division in mixed martial arts refers to a number of different weight classes:
- The UFC lightweight division with an upper limit at 155 lb (70.3 kg)
- The Pancrase lightweight division, which formerly limited competitors to 152 lb (69 kg) now revised to 155 lb (70 kg)
- The Shooto lightweight division, which limits competitors to 143 lb (65 kg)
- The PFC's (defunct) and EliteXC's (defunct) lightweight divisions, which limited competitors to 160 lb (73 kg)
- The SRC's (defunct) lightweight division, which formerly limited competitors to 154 lb (70 kg) revised to 155 lb (70 kg)
- The Dream's (defunct) lightweight division, which limited competitors to 154 lb (70 kg)
Ambiguity and clarification
For the sake of uniformity, most American mixed martial arts media outlets consider Lightweight competitors to be between 146 and 155 lb (66 and 70 kg). This encompasses The Shooto Welterweight division (154 lb / 70 kg).
The UFC's lightweight division was reinstated at UFC 58 after falling into disuse following UFC 49. Sean Sherk, a former welterweight contender, defeated Kenny Florian at UFC 64, becoming the first UFC lightweight champion since 2002.
This table is not always up to date. Last updated on January 10, 2016.
|UFC||March 14, 2015||Rafael dos Anjos||25-7 (5KO 8SUB)||1|
|Bellator MMA||November 15, 2014||Will Brooks||17-1 (5KO 4SUB)||2|
|WSOF||January 18, 2014||Justin Gaethje||15-0 (12KO 1SUB)||3|
|ONE Championship||April 5, 2013||Shinya Aoki||39-6 (2KO 25SUB)||2|
- List of current MMA Lightweight champions
- List of UFC Lightweight Champions
- List of Strikeforce Lightweight Champions
- List of Pancrase Lightweight Champions
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". http://www.leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20. External link in
- "Unified Rules of MMA". Association of Boxing Commissions. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Justin Gaethje Fight Results, Record, History, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - ESPN".