Lijo Jose Pellissery
This article has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lijo Jose Pellissery|
|Born||Chalakudy, Kerala, India|
Carmel High School|
Union Christian College, Aluva IIPM, Bangalore
Jasmine James (m. 2016)
Lijo Jose Pellissery is an Indian film director, popular for his Malayalam films. He made his debut with the crime film Nayakan (2010), following it up with the crime-drama City of God (2011) and the black comedy satire Amen (2013), the latter being a commercial success at the Kerala box-office. His fourth film, the experimental film Double Barrel, released on August 2015 to mixed reviews. His fifth film was again another crime-gangster film Angamaly Diaries (2017), starring almost 90 new actors, it received much critical and commercial success. He won the Best Director Award at the 48th Kerala State Film Awards for his sixth film Ee.Ma.Yau.
Lijo, born in Chalakudy in Thrissur district, is the son of late theatre-movie actor Jose Pellissery. Lijo's wife Jasmine is a professional textile designer and an alumnus of National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi. They got married on 10 January 2016.
With a theatre-film family background (his actor father used to co-own a theatre troupe), Lijo started his career by making short films and was one of the finalists of the PIX Short Film Festival 2007. A fan of film makers such as Quentin Tarantino, Francis Ford Coppola, K. G. George, Padmarajan and Akira Kurosawa, he directed his first feature Nayakan in 2010. It revolved around a Kathakali artist who joins the underworld to take revenge on those who killed his family and destroyed his life. The film, that effectively juxtaposed the beauty of a classical art form with the formidability of a powerful emotion, was praised by critics but failed at the box office. His next venture, City of God, used hyperlink cinema as its narrative structure, and was another critical and artistic success. However, the box office fate of this film was even worse, as it was pulled from theatres just days after its release. City of God was one of the first films in the category of "New Generation" Malayalam cinema, although the trend was just being recognised during the same year. Had it been released a little later, moviegoers and analysts feel the film would have received more critical and box office success.
His third movie Amen was released in 2013. With actors like Indrajith Sukumaran, Fahad Fasil, Swathy Reddy and Kalabhavan Mani delivering exemplary performances in the film, it was Lijo's first commercial success and drew rave reviews. His fourth project titled Double Barrel was a comic thriller. The movie featured actors Prithviraj Sukumaran, Indrajith Sukumaran, Arya, Sunny Wayne and Asif Ali. His next project was Angamaly Diaries , a black comedy cloaked within a gangster plot that revolves around the locale of Angamaly . The film , scripted by popular actor Chemban Vinod Jose had 86 new faces playing lead roles . The film that was made with a meagre budget of 3 crores was a critical as well as commercial success. Anurag Kashyap opined that Angamaly Diaries was his film of the year. In 2017, he made Ee.Ma.Yau, a satire written by P. F. Mathews, for which he received the Kerala State Film Award for Best Director at the 48th Kerala State Film Awards. He collaborates frequently with composer Prashant Pillai, who has scored Pellissery's films.
- 2013 - Asianet Film Award - Best Director (for Amen)
- 2013 - Atlas Film Critics Awards - The Best Popular Movie (Amen)
- 2014 - Canada Film Festival - Feature Competition - Royal Reel Winner (Amen)
- 2017 - Best Director - Cinema Paradiso Club (CPC) - Angamaly Diaries
- 2017 - Best Director - Kerala State Film Award Ee.Ma.Yau
|2010||Nayakan||Indrajith, Siddique, Thilakan||P. S. Rafeeq|
|2011||City of God||Prithviraj, Rima Kallingal, Indrajith, Parvathy||Babu Janardhanan|
|2013||Amen||Fahadh Faasil, Swati Reddy, Indrajith,||P. S. Rafeeq|
|2015||Double Barrel||Prithviraj, Indrajith, Asif Ali, Arya||Lijo Jose Pellissery|
|2017||Angamaly Diaries||Antony Varghese, Anna Rajan||Chemban Vinod Jose|
|2018||Ee.Ma.Yau||Vinayakan, Chemban Vinod Jose, Dileesh Pothan||P.F Mathews|
- As actor
|2010||Nayakan||Lijo Jose Pellissery||as smuggling agent|
|2014||Sapthamashree Thaskaraha||Anil Radhakrishnan Menon||as Priest|
|2016||Aashvani||Khais Millen||as Thomas|
|2016||Darvinte Parinamam||Jijo Antony||as Director Lijo Jose Pellissery|
|2017||Oru Cinemakkaran||Leo Thaddeus||as Director Lijo Jose Pellissery|
|2017||Mayaanadhi||Aashiq Abu||as director|
|2018||Swathanthryam Ardharathriyil||Tinu Pappachan||as lawyer|
|2018||Padayottam (2018 film)||Rafeek Ibrahim||as Britto|
- "മരണത്തോളം സത്യസന്ധം ഈ ചിത്രം; റിവ്യു". ManoramaOnline. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Lijo Jose Pellissery to get engaged - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- [I Personally - Lijo Jose Pellissery - Part 03 Kappa TV (YouTube Video) YouTube Channel]
- "Welcome to Gateway". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Nayakan Review - Malayalam Movie Review by VN". Nowrunning.com. 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Review: Nayakan is interesting - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Movie Review:Nayakan". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Gayathry, By (2010-03-22). "Nayakan - Review | - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Veeyen (24 April 2011). "City Of God Review". nowrunning.com - "don't miss the show!". INFOCON LLC. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Malayalam movies: Non-linear narratives are making the box-office ring louder". economictimes. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-18.
- "And...the best film of the year is Angamaly Diaries, says Anurag Kashyap! - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "French Viplavam to be released in September". Cinema Express. 23 July 2018. Retrieved 15 August 2018.