Like Someone in Love (film)
|Like Someone in Love|
|Directed by||Abbas Kiarostami|
|Produced by||Kenzo Horikoshi
|Written by||Abbas Kiarostami|
|Budget||US$ 4.8 million|
Like Someone in Love (Japanese: ライク・サムワン・イン・ラブ Raiku Samuwan In Rabu) is a French-Japanese drama, the final film written and directed by Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami, starring Rin Takanashi, Tadashi Okuno and Ryō Kase. The France-Japan co-production competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
One night, she is assigned to Takashi (Tadashi Okuno), an elderly former university professor who is more interested in making her dinner than having sex. The morning after their unconsummated night, Takashi drives Akiko to school for her exams. While waiting in the car for her, he encounters Noriaki, who assumes Takashi is her grandfather and asks permission to marry her. Takashi does not correct Noriaki's assumption and assures him he isn't ready for marriage.
After Akiko's test, the three drive toward a bookstore. Noriaki diagnoses a problem with the car, and convinces Takashi to drive it to the garage he owns, where he replaces a fan belt. There they encounter one of Takashi's former students; Akiko worries he will reveal the truth to Noriaki.
Takashi drops Akiko at the bookstore and returns home. Soon afterwards, he receives a panicked phone call from Akiko and returns to the bookstore to pick her up. Her mouth is bloodied, but she does not say why. Takashi takes Akiko to his apartment. Noriaki arrives, threatening them over the intercom and banging on the door. Takashi peers out his window to see what Noriaki is doing. An object is thrown through the window and Takashi falls to the floor.
- Rin Takanashi as Akiko
- Tadashi Okuno as Takashi
- Ryo Kase as Noriaki
- Denden as Hiroshi
- Reiko Mori as Nagisa
- Koichi Ohori as Taxi driver
- Tomoaki Tatsumi as Mechanic
- Hiroyuki Kishi as Takashi's former student
- Seina Kasugai as Nagisa's friend
- Mihiko Suzuki as Neighbor
- Kaneko Kubota as Akiko's grandmother
- Sound Designer: Mohammad Reza Delpak
- Sound Editor: Reza Narimizadeh
- Editor: Bahman Kiarostami
Like Someone in Love is a film production by France's MK2 Group and Japan's Eurospace. It had a budget of US $4.8 million. Filming was originally planned for April 2011, but had to be rescheduleddue to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. The film was eventually shot over eight weeks in October 2011. It was shot on location in Tokyo and Yokohama.
The film received mostly positive reviews by critics. It holds an 82% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 88 reviews and reports a rating average of 7.2 out of 10. The website's consensus reads, "In his second film outside his native Iran, director Abbas Kiarostami maintains the mysterious, reflective mood of previous triumphs." At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film received an average score of 76 based on 28 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
David Denby of The New Yorker writes, "This story, driven by undercurrents and oblique hints, is almost surprising in its circumspection." He adds, "The cinematography is clear and hard-focussed, and the editing produces long, flowing passages. This exquisitely made, elusive film has a lulling rhythm and a melancholy charm."
|2012||Chicago International Film Festival||Best International Feature||Nominated||Abbas Kiarostami|
|65th Cannes Film Festival||Palme d'Or||Nominated||Abbas Kiarostami|
|2013||7th Asian Film Awards||Best Cinematographer||Nominated||Katsumi Yanagijima|
|7th Asian Film Awards||Best Director||Nominated||Abbas Kiarostami|
|7th Asian Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated||Ryo Kase|
- Like Someone in Love (2013). Box Office Mojo (2013-04-25). Retrieved on 2014-05-25.
- Like Someone in Love. Boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-25.
- "2012 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Cannes Film Festival 2012 line-up announced". timeout. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- Slater, Patrik (2012-01-24). "Kiarostami advances Love". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Staff writer (2012-01-24). "Kiarostami's film ends production phase". Press TV. Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Like Someone in Love (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Like Someone in Love". Metacritic. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Denby, David (March 4, 2013). "Dangerous Liaisons". The New Yorker. 89 (3): 80.