Like U Like
|"Like U Like"|
|Single by Aggro Santos featuring Kimberley Walsh|
|from the album AggroSantos.com|
|Released||January 14, 2011|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Electrohop, R&B, grime|
|Label||Mercury, Future Records|
|Songwriter(s)||Steve Mac, Wayne Hector, Aggro Santos|
|Aggro Santos singles chronology|
"Like U Like" is a song by British recording artist Aggro Santos featuring Girls Aloud member Kimberley Walsh. The song was written by Steve Mac, Wayne Hector and Aggro Santos and produced by Mac for his debut album, AggroSantos.com (2011). After Santos mentioned to Gary Barlow that he was interested in making a duet with Walsh, Barlow contacted Walsh and sorted out their duet. Originally Walsh's part was sung by a male. The song uses synth noises while Walsh's voice was described by reviewers as sultry and monotone.
The song received mixed to positive reviews from critics complimenting on the synth noises but criticizing Walsh's contribution to the song. An accompanying music video, directed by the Lennox Brothers, sees Santos trying to win Walsh's affections during speed dating. It was noted that Walsh looked like her bandmate Cheryl Cole. The single entered at number eight and thirteen on the UK Singles Chart and Irish Singles Chart, respectively.
Background and composition
In an interview with MTV United Kingdom, Santos revealed that Walsh replaced a male vocalist on the song. "I think it suits a girl's vocal more. It’s more of a softer song and Kimberley did a great job on the vocals." He also said that Gary Barlow had sorted out the duet. "I was a big fan of Girls Aloud for years and I mentioned that to Gary Barlow who is a friend of Kim’s. I said I would be up for working with her. He spoke to her and she was up for it, so we made 'Like U Like'."
"Like U Like" is a rap-electro song which uses "grinding synths", "techno bleeps" and "catchy hand-claps" with Walsh providing a sultry voice. The song was written by Mac, Hector and Santos. According to Sarah-Louise James from Daily Star Walsh has a monotone voice. Aggro Santos said that "Like U Like" "[is] more pop, bubbly and commercial than my last track, 'Saint or Sinner'"
"Like U Like" received mixed reviews from critics. Robert Copsey from Digital Spy wrote "[Kimberley Walsh's] sultry tones garnishing 'Like U Like's spicy mix of grinding synths, techno bleeps and catchy hand-claps in oh-so tasty fashion." Leanne Rain of Hive Magazine praised the song. "[The] single has all the ingredients of a pop classic, and possesses one of the biggest pop hooks of the year." Other critics criticized on Walshes appearance. Jon O'Brien from AllMusic said, "[the song] won't exactly threaten Cheryl Cole's status as the band's chief success. He also described "Like U Like" as a "tuneless dirge". Rach Read from Teentoday.co.uk also commented about Walsh appearance. "Like U Like is a tacky trashtastic ‘club banger’ that would have completely slipped under our radar [if it] had it not featured Girls Aloud’s most shapely member [...] That’s in addition to looking extremely lovely, working some super-sexy moves and contributing some not terribly good vocals." The only thing Morwenna Ferrier from The Guardian said was that Santos raps like he has chips stuffed in his cheeks.
The music video for "Like U Like" was directed by the Lennox Brothers. The video features Santos adopting a variety of different looks to try to win the affections of Walsh during speed dating.
 Rach Read from Teentoday.co.uk described the speed dating as the "worst speed-dating session in the world" because "every other participant seems to be Aggro himself. Get your money back, love!" A reviewer from Sugar Magazine said that he loved the video particularly commenting on Kimberley's dance moves.
Formats and track listings
- "Like U Like" (featuring Kimberley Walsh) - 3:25
Like U Like - EP
- "Like U Like" (featuring Kimberley Walsh) - 3:25
- "Like U Like" (Digital Dog Remix) - 6:09
- "Like U Like" (Instrumental) - 3:10
- Album Preview Mix - 5:23
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||7|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||8|
|United Kingdom||January 14, 2011||Digital download||Mercury Records|
|January 16, 2011||Extended play|
|Ireland||Digital download||Universal Music|
- Dorken, Joanne (2011-01-01). "Aggro Santos: Gary Barlow Sorted Kimberley Duet". MTV UK. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- James, Sarah-Louise (2011-01-01). "Review - Aggro Santos Ft Kimberley Walsh: Like U Like". Daily Star. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- Copsey, Robert (2011-01-11). "Music - Singles Review - Aggro Santos ft. Kimberley Walsh: 'Like U Like'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- Copsey, Robert (2011-01-13). "Music - Singles Interview - Aggro Santos". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- Raine, Leanne (2010-11-22). "Music Video: Like U Like by Aggro Santos feat. Kimberley Walsh". Hive Magazine. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- O'Brien, Jon (2010-07-28). "Aggro Santos.com - Aggro Santos". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Read, Rach (2010-11-20). "Aggro Santos featuring Kimberley Walsh – Like You Like video: shit or hit?". Teentoday. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- Ferrier, Morwenna (2011-01-15). "This week's new singles". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "Aggro Santos’ Like U Like featuring Kimberley Walsh by Lennox Brothers". Promonews.tv. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Aggro Santos - Like U Like". 4Music. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Stern, Bradely. "Girls Aloud’s Kimberley Walsh Goes Solo with Aggro Santos on "Like U Like"". MuuMuse. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Kimberley Walsh goes speed dating in new video". Sugar Magazine. 2010-11-27. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "Like U Like: Kimberley Walsh: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. 2011-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- iTunes (2011-01-24). "Like U Like - EP by Aggro Santos & Kimberley Walsh". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- "Chart Track: Week 05, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-01-29". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-01-29" UK Singles Chart.
- "Kimberley Walsh / Aggro Santos - Like U Like MP3 Downloads - 7digital". Ie.7digital.com. 2011-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-24.