Lila M. Gierasch
Lila M. Gierasch, like her mother Marian Bookhout Gierasch, studied at Mount Holyoke College. She graduated in 1970 with a Bachelor degree in chemistry. She then went to Harvard University as a doctoral student and earned her doctorate in biophysics in 1975. Since 1974 she taught at Amherst College, where she worked as an assistant professor in chemistry. She worked under Jean-Marie Lehn at Université Louis Pasteur de Strasbourg between 1977 and 1978. In 1979 she went to University of Delaware for a position as an assistant professor, and was promoted to a professor in chemistry in 1985. Gierasch was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1986 for molecular and cellular biology. In 1988 she moved to University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and worked as a professor in pharmacology for six years. She was the chair of Robert A. Welch Professor of Biochemistry.
In Texas she met her husband John Pylant, who she married in 1991. She returned to Massachusetts in 1994, and has been a Professor of Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology ever since. She is Head of the Department of Chemistry and the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Lila Gierasch. Mount Holyoke College. Accessed 28 August 2014.
- "Search Results - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation". web.archive.org. 2012-10-06. Retrieved 2019-05-01.
- JOHN PYLANT LILA GIERASCH, Texas Marriage Record Index, 1966–2008. Mocavo, DC Thomson Family History. Accessed 30 August 2014.
- Biophysicist in Profile: Lila Gierasch. Biophysical Society Newsletter, January/February 2003. Accessed 26 August 2014.
- Curriculum vitae—Lila M. Gierasch. Gierasch Lab, University of Massachusetts Amherst. Accessed 26 August 2014.
- "2019 NAS Election". www.nasonline.org. Retrieved 30 April 2019.