Lilac Festival (Calgary)
For other uses, see Lilac Festival (disambiguation).
Crowded street during the 2004 Lilac Festival
|Location(s)||Beltline and Mission in Calgary|
|Patron(s)||4th Street BRZ|
Lilac festival is an annual street festival held in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The festival has grown to entertain over 80,000 people each spring. The lilac (Syringa) flowers are often blooming throughout the area at this time.
The festival takes place along the 13 blocks of 4th Street (between 13th Avenue South and Elbow Drive) in the Beltline and Mission neighborhoods. It is an all day free event and is open to all ages. At 10:00 am (MT), a parade signals the start of the festival. The parade begins along 4th Street from 25th Avenue SW to 13th Avenue SW. The festival features over 500 vendors such as entertainment stages, street dancing, musical talent, artisan vendors, food, and other business stalls. The festival also includes bouncy castles for young children to utilize.
The Lilac Festival started out as a small neighborhood celebration in 1989 by the Cliff Bungalow-Mission Community Association and the 4th Street Business Revitalization Zone. In 2005 it had an estimated 120,000 attendance. Lilac festival has been voted Calgary's best free festival in 2006.
In 2007, the festival was held on May 27.
In 2018, the approximate attendance is over 100,000 people.
Multiple organizations sponsor the Lilac Festival such as the following:
- Direct Energy
- The City of Calgary
- Alberta Culture and Tourism
- Park Point
- Alberta Foundations for the Arts
- Festivals in Alberta
- Lilac Festival (Mackinac Island)
- Lilac Festival (New York)
- List of festivals in Calgary
- Festival, Lilac. "Lilac Festival". Lilac Festival. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- "Lilac Festival". 4th Street BRZ. Archived from the original on 2007-05-20. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- "Mission". Avenue Calgary. 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- FFWD magazine (August 2006). "Readers Choose the Best of Calgary". Archived from the original on 2007-04-03. Retrieved 2007-04-30.