Lilian Edwards is a UK academic and frequent speaker on issues of Internet law and intellectual property. She is on the Advisory Board of the Open Rights Group and the Foundation for Internet Privacy Research and is the Professor specialising in Internet law at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow.
Edwards is a leading academic in the field of Internet law. She has taught information technology law, e-commerce law, and Internet law at undergraduate and postgraduate level since 1996 and been involved with law and artificial intelligence (AI) since 1985.
She worked at Strathclyde University from 1986–1988 and Edinburgh University from 1989 to 2006. She became Chair of Internet Law at the University of Southampton from 2006–2008, and then Professor of Internet Law at the University of Sheffield until late 2010, when she returned to Scotland to become Professor of E-Governance at Strathclyde University, while retaining close links with the renamed SCRIPT (AHRC Centre) at Edinburgh. She also has close links with the Oxford Internet Institute.
She has co-edited (with Charlotte Waelde) three editions of a textbook, Law and the Internet; the third edition appeared in 2009. She won the Barbara Wellberry Memorial Prize in 2004 for work on online privacy. A collection of her essays, The New Legal Framework for E-Commerce in Europe, was published in 2005. She is Associate Director, and was co-founder, of the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Centre for IP and Technology Law (now SCRIPT). Edwards has consulted for the EU Commission, the OECD, and WIPO.
Edwards was an active science fiction fan during the 1980s and 1990s, and won the TransAtlantic Fan Fund in 1988 on a joint platform with her friend Christina Lake; they had previously co-edited the fanzine This Never Happens.
- "Welcome to the Internet, Law & Politics Conference 2014". Universitat Oberta de Catalunya. Universitat Oberta de Catalunya. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Edwards appointed to Strathclyde chair". The Journal of the Law Society of Scotland. The Law Society of Scotland. 12 January 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Staff and Associates". University of Strathclyde. University of Strathclyde. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Edwards, Lilian; Waelde, Charlotte (2009). Law and the Internet. Oxford: Hart. ISBN 978-1841138152.
- "Research E-Newsletter - September 2010" (PDF). University of Sheffield. University of Sheffield. September 2010. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "GikII 2009". University of Edinburgh. University of Edinburgh. 11 September 2009. Archived from the original on 11 September 2009. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Team". CREATe. CREATe. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- http://taff.org.uk/reports/le1.html "The Once and Future Seattle", The Wrong Leggings #3, ed. Lilian Edwards, 1995