Lilias, Yoga and You
|Lilias, Yoga and You|
|Created by||Lilias Folan|
|Presented by||Lilias Folan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||500|
|Production company(s)||WCET Cincinnati|
|Original release||October 5, 1970 –|
|Followed by||Lilias! Yoga Gets Better With Age|
Lilias, Yoga and You (later shortened to Lilias!) is a PBS television show hosted by Lilias Folan, a Cincinnati, Ohio based practitioner of yoga as exercise. The show first aired on October 5, 1970 on Cincinnati PBS member station WCET and three years later was carried on PBS across the United States, where it ran until 1999.
Lilias Folan (born 1936) began to practice yoga as exercise in 1964, and was soon teaching at the YWCA in Stamford, Connecticut. She studied asanas under the yoga masters T. K. V. Desikachar, B. K. S. Iyengar, and Angela Farmer, and gained wider knowledge of yoga under the Sivananda Yoga masters Swami Vishnudevananda and Swami Satchidananda. She joined the Connecticut ashram of the Divine Life Society led by Swami Chidananda. In the 1980s she met Swami Muktananda, creator of Siddha Yoga, who told her to teach meditation. Through her show she became known to Americans as the "First Lady of Yoga". She is married with two sons and seven grandchildren.
Lilias! Yoga Gets Better With Age
WCET premiered Lilias! Yoga Gets Better With Age in March 2006, highlighting Folan's career and exploring the impact yoga has on the mind, body and spirit.
Books and other media
Folan has published four books: Lilias, Yoga and You (1972), Lilias, Yoga and Your Life (1981), Lilias! Yoga Gets Better With Age (2005), and Lilias! Yoga: Your Guide to Enhancing Body, Mind, and Spirit in Midlife and Beyond (November 1, 2011)
San Francisco Chronicle columnist Gerald Nachman observed of the television program in 1979, "My yoga lady remains a mystery woman, a comely creature from a distant planet ... Lilias is demure and quite serious ... By far her most intriguing aspect is that she never sweats ... She seems friendly, but if you tried flirting, I suspect she'd politely guide the conversation back to firming up those inner thighs."
- Folan (surname)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2011-12-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Lilias! page, CETconnect.org; accessed July 26, 2017.
- Gates 2006, pp. 61–64.
- Kelley, Tracey. "Interview with Yoga Expert Lilias Folan". LoveToKnow. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- Schneider 2003, pp. 10-15.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-13. Retrieved 2011-12-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Lilias Folan. Lilias! Yoga: Your Guide to Enhancing Body, Mind, and Spirit in Midlife and Beyond. Amazon.com. ISBN 9781616084516.
- Lilias Folan. "Lilias Yoga Complete (Audible Audio Edition)". Amazon. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- "Lilias Folan, Steven Halpern - Inner Smile". Amazon. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- Gerald Nachman, "A love that's shaping up," San Francisco Chronicle, August 29, 1979 (re-printed as "Chronicle Classic" in January 13, 2013 "Datebook" section).
- Gates, Janice (2006). Yogini: Women Visionaries of the Yoga World. Mandala. ISBN 978-1932771886.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Schneider, Carrie (2003). American Yoga | The paths and practices of America's greatest yoga masters. Barnes & Noble. ISBN 978-0760745588.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)