|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Liling (Chinese: 醴陵; pinyin: Lǐlíng) is a county-level city and the 12th most populous county-level division in Hunan Province, China; it is under the administration of Zhuzhou prefecture-level City. Located on the middle eastern margin of the province, the city is bordered to the north by Liuyang City, to the west by Lusong District and Zhuzhou County, to the south by You County, to the east by Xiangdong District of Yichun, Shangli County of Jiangxi. Liling City covers 2,157 km2 (833 sq mi) with registered population of 978,900 and resident population of 1,060,000 (as of 2015).
Liling is known for its traditional porcelain and firework industries. The "Chairman Mao" porcelain produced in Liling is used as gifts for presidents.
Liling has extensive transport links, such as G60 (Hukun highway), S11 (Yueru Highway), 320, and 106 national roads. Also, there is the Liling Hukun High speed train station and Liling train station, which mainly serves trains going east and west across China as well as local trains in Hunan. Additionally, Liling is only 90 kilometres (56 mi) south of Changsha Huanghua International Airport (CSX).
Liling has had a booming economy since the beginning of the 21st century. In 2010, Liling had a GDP of 26.37 billion.[clarification needed]
- 1 Administrative divisions
- 2 Geography
- 3 Economy
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Education
- 6 Transportation
- 7 Tourism
- 8 Notable people
- 9 References
According to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Liling on November 26, 2015, the divisions of Liling, according to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Liling on November 26, 2015: Qingshuijiang Township merged to Chuanwan Town, Hejiaqiao Town and Dazhang Town merged to form Mingyue Town. Shenfugang Town and Lishanba Town merged to form Chashan Town. Xinyang Township and Xianxia Town merged to form Zuoquan Town. Fenglinshi Township and Huangtazui Town merged to form Fenglin Town. Fuli Town and Nanqiao Town merged to form Litian Town. Wangfang Town was revoked. Liling has 4 subdistricts and 19 towns under its jurisdiction.
|English name||Chinese name||Population
Liling is situated in the east of Hunan province. The city has a total area of 2,156.46-square-kilometre (832.61 sq mi). It is bordered by Pingxiang and Shangli County to the east, Liuyang to the north, Zhuzhou to the west, You County to the south.
Lakes and reservoirs
Guanzhuang Reservoir is the largest body of water and the largest reservoir in Liling.
Other reservoirs include Hetian Reservoir, Xuefeng Reservoir, Wangxianqiao Reservoir, Zhoufang Reservoir and Outang Reservoir.
The highest point in Mount Shamaojian (纱帽尖) is which stands 808 metres (2,651 ft) above sea level.
Zhangxianling (彰仙岭) is the second highest natural elevation in the city, which is 707 metres (2,320 ft) above sea level.
Liling has a subtropical monsoon climate, with an average annual temperature of 18 °C (64 °F), total annual rainfall of 1,300-to-1,600-millimetre (51 to 63 in), a frost-free period of 288 days and annual average sunshine hours in 1500 to 1910 hours.
|Climate data for Liling (1981−2010)|
|Record high °C (°F)||26.9
|Average high °C (°F)||9.3
|Daily mean °C (°F)||5.5
|Average low °C (°F)||3.0
|Record low °C (°F)||−5.0
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||78.0
|Average relative humidity (%)||83||83||83||82||81||82||76||79||80||79||78||78||80|
|Source: China Meteorological Data Service Center|
Liling is one of the most developed county-level cities in Hunan, it ranked the 71th in the Top100 of counties and county-level ciities of China by comprehensive strength in 2017. Liling has the six-largest economy in the Hunan. The largest sectors of the city's economy are fireworks and porcelain manufacturing. As of 2016, the gross domestic product of Liling was CN￥ 58.08 billion. The primary sector, including agriculture, fishing, forestry and mining, accounted for 9% of the county's GDP. Secondary industries, including manufacturering, construction, transport and communications, made up 28% of GDP. And the tertiary sector of trade, finance, services and public administration, accounted for nearly 63% of GDP.
As of the end of 2016, the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China estimates the city's population now to be 1,060,000.
As of 2016, Liling has 213 primary schools, 44 middle schools, 9 high schools, 1 special education school, 309 kindergartens.
Shanghai–Kunming railway and Shanghai–Kunming high-speed railway, which connect Shanghai and Kunming, run north-south through the towns and subdistrict of Litian, Baitutan, Pukou, Wangxian, Xianyueshan, Dongfu, Sunjiawan, Sifen, and Chuanwan.
Liling–Chaling railway and Liling-Yongzhou railway run north-south through the city.
- G60 Shanghai–Kunming Expressway
- Yueru Expressway
- Litan Expressway
- Lianzhu Expressway
- Louli Expressway
- G106 National Highway
- G320 National Highway
Guanzhuang, Lu River Bridge, Geng Chuan Ancestral Temple, Lujiang Academy, Former Residence of Li Lisan, Former Residence of Chen Mingren, and Xianshan Park are popular attractions in Liling.
Changqing Temple, Yunyang Temple and Dongfu Temple are well known Buddhist temples.
- Li Tian
- Cai Shenxi, a general officer in the Chinese Workers' and Peasants' Red Army during the Chinese Civil War.
- Chen Mingren, a general in the People's Liberation Army.
- Cheng Qian, governor of Hunan.
- Cheng Xingling, politician.
- Geng Biao, Minister of Defense of the People's Republic of China.
- He Jian (Ho Chien), a native of Liling, was Nanjing's governor of Hunan during the time of the Kuomintang. He killed more than 20,000 peasants, students, and workers between April and June, 1927.
- Li Lisan, an early leader of the Chinese communists, and the top leader of the Chinese Communist Party from 1928 to 1930, member of the Politburo, and later a member of the Central Committee.
- Peng Daoru, electronics expert.
- Song Shilun, a general in the People's Liberation Army.
- Tang Fei-fan, a medical microbiologist best known for culturing the Chlamydia trachomatis agent in the yolk sacs of eggs.
- Yang Dezhi, a general in the People's Liberation Army.
- Yang Mingzhu, mathematician.
- Zhang Yousong, translator.
- Zhang Zemin, scientist.
- Zuo Quan, a military officer in the Eighth Route Army.
- zztj.gov: 2015年醴陵市国民经济和社会发展统计公报, also see hntj.gov
- 醴陵市乡镇区划调整方案：调整后下辖19镇4街道 [Adjustment of Township-level Administrative Divisions of Liling]. rednet.cn (in Chinese). 4 December 2015.
- Zhang Hong (2018), p. 42–43.
- 株洲醴陵入选2017全国百强县市榜单 全省2县市上榜. QQ.com (in Chinese). 2017-10-13.
- 湖南县域经济竞争力排行榜出炉！醴陵第6、攸县第11、株洲县第19，你家乡排第几！. sohu (in Chinese). 2017-08-31.
- "Introduction to Liling". liling.gov.cn (in Chinese). 2018.
- Snow, E. (1939). Red star over China. New York, NY: Garden City Publishing.
- Zhang Hong, ed. (2018). 《中国分省系列地图册：湖南》 [Maps of Provinces in China: Hunan] (in Chinese). Xicheng District, Beijing: SinoMaps Press. ISBN 978-7-5031-8949-4.
|This Hunan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|