Lilium parryi is native to the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico where it grows in moist areas in mountain habitats. In California it is currently known from the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains and a few remaining spots near Palomar Mountain to the south. It is the only true lily native to Arizona, where a few populations can be found in the Huachuca, Chiricahua, and Santa Rita Mountains. In Mexico, it has been found in mountains in the states of Sonora and Baja California.
Lilium parryi is a perennial herb growing erect to about 2 meters in height from a scaly, elongated bulb up to 11 centimetres (4 1⁄3 in) long. The leaves are generally linear in shape, up to 29 centimetres (11 1⁄2 in) long, and usually arranged in whorls around the stem. The inflorescence is a raceme bearing up to 31 large, showy, bright lemon yellow flowers. The trumpet-shaped, fragrant flowers have six curling tepals up to 11 centimetres (4 1⁄3 in) long, sometimes with a few reddish spots. There are six stamens tipped with large anthers up to 1.4 centimetres (1⁄2 in) long. The pistil may be 10 centimetres (4 in) long. The flowers are pollinated by hawkmoths, especially Hyles lineata and Sphinx perelegans.
Lilium parryi was named for Charles Christopher Parry (28 August 1823 – 20 February 1890), a British-American botanist and mountaineer.
- Henry John Elwes: A monograph of the genus Lilium; illustrated by W.H. Fitch. Taylor and Francis, London
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Watson, Sereno 1878. Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences 2: 189. description in English
- Watson, Sereno 1878. Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences 2: plates V + VI (5 + 6). line drawings of Lilium parryi
- Tropicos, Lilium parryi S. Watson
- California Native Plant Society Rare Plant Profile
- Arizona Game & Fish Department
- Biota of North America 2014 county distribution map
- CONABIO. 2009. Catálogo taxonómico de especies de México. 1. In Capital Nat. México. CONABIO, Mexico City.
- Calflora taxon report, Lilium parryi S. Watson lemon lily
- Flora of North America
- Center for Plant Conservation
- Lemon Lily Festival Archived 2010-07-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- Calflora Database: Lilium parryi (lemon lily)
- Jepson Manual Treatment of Lilium parryi
- USDA Plants Profile for Lilium parryi (lemon lily)
- UC Photos gallery: Lilium parryi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lilium parryi.|