Lilium regale, called the regal lily or king's lily, is Chinese species of plants in the lily family, with trumpet-shaped flowers. It is native to the western part of Sichuan Province in southwestern China and cultivated elsewhere as an ornamental. It was introduced to England in 1903 by Ernest Henry Wilson.
Lilium regale is a long-lived, stem-rooting bulbous plant. The leaves are borne at irregular intervals on the stem. Plants grow up to 2 meters high, though 1.2 to 1.5 meters is more common in the garden. The flowers are 14 cm long, funnel or trumpet shaped, white with yellow throat, flushed purple outside. Stamens are prominent. The flowers are strongly fragrant, especially at night.
The Royal Horticultural Society has given Lilium regale its Award of Garden Merit. It is among the easiest lilies to grow in most temperate climate gardens. It tolerates most soils, except ones prone to waterlogging. It may naturalise in suitable conditions. It can also be grown in large containers. The bulbs themselves are very hardy, but the shoots appear early in the season and may be damaged by frost. Plants can be raised from seed, and often flower in their second year. The main pest is the Scarlet Lily Beetle, the larvae of which may cause complete defoliation. Stems may require staking to support the large blooms.
- Flora of China, Vol. 24 Page 147 岷江百合 min jiang bai he Lilium regale E. H. Wilson, Gard. Chron. ser. 3, 53: 416. 1913.
- Tropicos, search for Lilium myriophyllum
- Royal Horticultural Society, Lilium regale (IXb/a) king's lily
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Wilson, Ernest Henry 1905. Flora et Silva 3: 330, plate 1, as Lilium myriophyllum
- Wilson, Ernest Henry. 1913. Lilium regale. Gardeners' Chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. ser. 3 53: 416 description and commentary in English; photograph of flowering specimen
- RHS "RHS Plant Selector - Lilium regale" Check
|url=scheme (help). Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Dave's Garden plant files, Regal Lily, Lilium regale
|This Liliales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|