Xiao Jie at Lollipop concert in Hong Kong (2009)
|Pinyin||Xiǎo Jié (Mandarin)|
|Birth name||廖俊傑 (pinyin: Liào Jùn Jié) Leow Jun Jie|
|Origin||Republic of China (Taiwan)|
|Born||25 September 1986|
|Occupation||Singer, actor, songwriter, presenter, dancer|
|Label(s)||Gold Typhoon (formerly EMI Music) (2006-2009)
Taiwan Sony Music Entertainment (2011-present)
Legend star entertainment (2010-present)
|Years active||2006 – present|
|Associated acts||Lollipop (Taiwanese group) (2006-2009)
|Official website||JPM at Sony Music|
He was a former member of Lollipop, a Taiwanese Mandopop boyband, which consists of six members, Zhuang Ao Quan/Owodog, Qiu Wang Zi/Prince, Yang Xiao Yu/Fabien, Liao Wei Lian/William, Liu A-wei, and himself. They were all chosen from Channel [V] Taiwan's show Bang Bang Tang (BBT 模范棒棒堂), a show which sought to create new male artists in the entertainment business of Taiwan.
Lollipop signed under the label Gold Typhoon (formerly EMI Capitol) and Channel [V] Taiwan in 2006. However, their artist management contract with Channel [V] Taiwan ended at the end of 2009. Liao is now signed under A Legend Star Entertainment Corp., a company founded by former Channel [V] Taiwan director, Andy Chang.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Discography
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Books
- 5 Awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Liao Xiao Jie's family consists of his parents, a younger sister, and a younger brother. His younger brother was also a member of Bang Bang Tang II, but he was eliminated in the second round. He also owns a female Chow Chow, called Lolly. It was bought by him and Zhuang Ao Quan in 2009.
In his childhood, Liao studied in Taipei Municipal Hulu Elementary School, Taipei Municipal Chongqing Junior School, and Taipei Municipal Song Shan High School of Commerce. He then went on to attend Takming University of Science and Technology where he met Zhuang. However, due to their busy lives after joining Lollipop, they later transferred to Hsing Wu College, where he is currently a student in the Department of Applied English.
2006–2007: The formation of Lollipop
Besides studying in the same school, him and Zhuang are also members of a Taiwanese breakdance group Black Angle Crew. In June 2006, they went to Bang Bang Tang (BBT) Taipei audition together and both were selected into "Bang Bang Tang" television show. The first episode of BBT was aired on August 14, 2006.
On November 27, 2006, the episode in which the six members of Lollipop were selected and revealed was aired. He was the first member to be selected into Lollipop. The members signed a contract to Channel V, and Dora Ao became their agent. They, then, officially signed a contract with EMI Capitol on December 2, 2006, appointing Zhuang as the leader of the newly formed group Lollipop. On December 9, 2006, Lollipop made its first public performance as a group at the V-Power Music Storm Concert.
2007-08: Acting, Hosting, and Music debut
Lollipop's first EP, Colorful Lollipop was released on January 26, 2007, with six different covers, each featuring a member of the group. Four months later, on May 25, a second EP titled Summer's First Experience was released along with a photobook compiled with photos taken in Okinawa, as well as a DVD. Lyrics were written by Qiu and himself for the song "Summer's First Experience."
During the summer of 2007, Liao and the other members of Lollipop made their acting debut in the drama Brown Sugar Macchiato, a collaboration with Hey Girl. The first episode was aired in Taiwan on July 15, 2007. Later, Lollipop admits on Kangxi Lai Le that the drama had been more of an introduction of the two groups instead of a major acting challenge, as the members were told to act like themselves, and that many subplots were explained only briefly due to the large number of main characters. After thirteen episodes, the drama ended on October 7, 2007. They released an official soundtrack, then, with songs from Lollipop and Hey Girl. Liao wrote the lyrics for the opening theme of the said drama, entitled "黑糖秀"(Hei Tang Xiu).
On September 26, 2007, Lollipop visited Hong Kong to promote their television soundtrack Brown Sugar Macchiato. This was their first overseas promotional activity ever since their debut, and a huge fan turnout caused a great commotion at the shopping mall where they were having their autograph session. At the same time, Liao celebrated his birthday with thousands of fans in this event. At the same year, Lollipop began hosting their own show Lollipop Gyashan (LOLLIPOP哪裡怕) on October 27 until April 19, 2008, when the show stopped airing.
Lollipop's debut album Gyashan (哪裡怕) was released on December 28, 2007. Gyashan entered Mandarin charts in the number one position, outselling F4's album Waiting for You – Await Your Love (在這裡等你) which was released on the same day. Liao contributed lyrics to three of the ten songs in this album. On January 26, 2008, a year after the release of their first EP, Lollipop held its debut concert at the Taipei Arena. The concert DVD was released on June 6, 2008, breaking chart records with sales rates of more than 35%. The DVD has topped the charts for a period of one month since.
2008-09: Graduation from BBT, I Am Legend Album and tours
Lollipop had been appearing regularly on Bang Bang Tang since August 14, 2006. With Channel [V]'s decision to select a new batch of boys and create a second season, Lollipop and most of the other members "graduated" from Bang Bang Tang after their last performances as members of the show. Their last official episode aired on August 29, 2008, marking the end of the first season. In total, the members of Lollipop had participated in more than 500 episodes of the show. However, since the start of Bang Bang Tang II, Liao had returned to the show as guest and co-host on several occasions.
After graduation from Bang Bang Tang television show, Liao began hosting Na Li Wu Da Kang (哪裡5打坑) with Zhuang, Liu A-wei, Hey Girl's Apple and Channel V's VJ Rong Jia. The first episode was aired on September 7, 2008, while the last episode was aired on November 30, 2008. During this period, Liao also guest starred in The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries, as well as writing lyrics for two songs in this drama, including the opening theme, Cang Jing Ge (藏經閣). On October 3, 2008, the original soundtrack was released by Gold Typhoon. Two editions were released for the soundtrack, one being a 10,000 limited edition.
In November, 2008, Liao was injured during one of their dance practices. He performed with an injury in Singapore's Music Monster Festival on November 22, 2008 and V-Power Love Music Concert on November 29. The V-Power concert united Liao, Zhuang, and Liu with other Black Angle Crew members for a dance performance. Lollipop's participation in the concert also marks, symbolically, the two-year anniversary of the group's formation. A week later, on December 6, 2008, Lollipop performed four songs with themes of wushu at the 45th Golden Horse Awards ceremony. Liao wrote the rap for one of the songs in this performance.
In February, 2009, Channel [V] began filming its revamped version and new season of Bang Bang Tang, which marked the return of several members from the first season, which includes Lollipop. Bang Bang Tang III began airing on March 2, 2009, with Show Luo being the first guest star. However, with show host Fan Fan leaving the show to focus on her musical career, Bang Bang Tang's last episode was aired on July 30, 2009. In 2009, Lollipop made its first lyric contributions to other artists, which are included in the mini album of the group Choc7, composed of seven members selected from the same show.
Lollipop's second album I am Legend was released on June 19, 2009. Liao contributed lyrics to four songs; and his first solo song is also recorded in this album. A concert tour in Asia with the same name commenced in Hong Kong Coliseum on July 4–5, 2009. While promoting I am Legend on several Taiwanese variety shows, including Kangxi Lai Le, 100% Entertainment, Azio Superstar, etc., Lollipop created a series of dance performances specifically for the show hosts of each show, thus completing a mini TV tour.
On September 12, 2009, a short film in which Liao was cast as the main lead, and directed and shot by Liu A-wei called The Great Escape (廖問之越V風雲) was aired on Channel [V] Taiwan.
Liao lived with the other members of Lollipop from 2006 to 2009. Due to disturbances caused by fans gathering outside their apartment, Lollipop had to move several times since their debut and had once lived in an apartment rented to them by BBT show host Fan Fan in Taipei. However, at the end of 2009, Liao has moved away from Lollipop's apartment and is now living with Qiu Wang Zi and Qiu Mao Di.
2010-11: A Legend Star contract & Formation of JPM
Lollipop's artist management contract with Channel [V] Taiwan ended at the end of 2009. Former Lollipop members, Qiu and himself had been undergoing a series of secret training for the past year after they had separated with the band in 2009. On July 8, 2010, the two of them released a single entitled Dance Can Be Replaced ("舞可取代"). On September 10, they had their first concert at the Hong Kong Kowloon Bay International Trade and Exhibition Center to promote their single. In the end, their first single was successful as they received six awards at the end of the year, which includes "Popular Dance Song Award" and "Idol Award" by the "Metro Radio Mandarin Hits Music Awards Presentation", "Best Dance Song Award" and "Idol Award" by the "Seventh Hit Golden King Awards", and "Outstanding Dance Song Singers" and "Network Popular Singers" by the "Chinese Golden Melody Awards".
On the day of A Legend Star Entertainment Corp.'s first anniversary, Liao and Qiu Wang Zi decided to get back together and formed a new group called JPM, alongside Qiu's brother, Mao Di, on January 11, 2011. They signed a contract under A Legend Star Entertainment Corp., a company founded by former Channel [V] Taiwan director, Andy Chang. On August 26, 2011, JPM finally released their first album entitled Moonwalk. In this album, Liao filled the role of the producer for part of it.
2012-present: 365 Album, Flavor Lover Series
On January 25, JPM released a Japanese version for Moonwalk album. The album consists of Normal Edition and First Press Limited Edition, which comes with a bonus DVD containing five music videos, one-hour music special, and interview footage.
On November 30, JPM released their second studio album entitled 365 under the same label, Sony Music Taiwan. They use "Love" as the main theme of this album. In other words, each song is used to describe different types and stages of love. In addition with the theme of love, 365 album also emphasized the "Golden Triangle" concept to capture each members' individual firm and confidence and also to represent their strong brotherhood. According to Sony Music, JPM said: "We are the Golden triangle, the best ally and best friend" (「我們是黃金鐵三角，是最好的戰友也是最好的朋友」). Demonstrating the trio's mastery of a multitude of music styles, the new album's track list includes an electro-dance K-Pop-styled titular song "365 Days" especially produced by Korean producers. Moreover, the track list also includes a solo song for each member, and a collaboration with Kimberley Chen entitled "Internet". Once again, Liao took part in putting the album together as Liao filled the role of the producer for half of the album, lyricist of three songs and the composer of two songs.
Besides his music career, Liao Xiao Jie has been cast on Next TV's new television series called 愛味男女 (Flavor Lover) as a main lead, Tang Ai Wei, together with Tsai Yi-chen.
Solo songs from JPM
- "愛情 Beautiful" (Beautiful Love) - from Moonwalk (album)
- "笑自己" (Laugh at Yourself) - from 365 (album)
|2010||1st||Dance Can Be Replaced with Qiu Wang Zi
|2007||"Great First Experience (夏日初體驗)"||
||part of the lyrics|
|"Brown Sugar Show"||lyrics|
|"Between Us (我們之間)"||
||part of the lyrics|
|"Follow My Tempo (跟著我的Tempo)"||part of the lyrics|
|"That Day (那一天)"||lyrics|
|2008||"Cang Jing Ge (藏經閣)"||part of the lyrics|
|"Dear Baby"||part of the lyrics|
|2009||"Too Young (太青春)"||lyrics|
|"Exchange Diaries (交换日記)"||
|"One Way"||part of the lyrics|
|2011||"Star Love Song (星空戀曲)"||part of the lyrics|
|"Loved you for a long time (喜歡你好久)"||part of the lyrics/ producer|
|"Beautiful Love (爱情 Beautiful)"||lyricist/composer/producer|
|2012||"Without you, there is no way (沒有辦法沒有你)"||part of the lyrics|
|"Believe in Love (相信愛)"||lyricist/composer/producer|
|"Internet (ft. Kimberley Chen)||lyricist/producer|
|"The Downhill of Love (愛情的下坡)"||producer|
|"Laugh at Yourself (笑自己)"||lyricist/producer|
Music Video Appearances
|Years||English Title||Original Title||Character/Role|
|2007||"Sister is Coming" (Lollipop idol drama)||棒棒堂偶像劇《姐姐來了》||Salesperson|
|Brown Sugar Macchiato||黑糖瑪奇朵 (黑糖玛奇朵) (Hei Tang Ma Qi Duo)||Xiao Jie|
|"Love Is Here" (Lollipop idol drama)||棒棒堂偶像劇《愛情來了》||Supporting Character - novelist|
|2008||The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries||黑糖群俠傳 (黑糖群侠传) (Hei Tang Qun Xia Chuan)||Ronaldo|
|2013||Flavor Lover||愛味男女 (Ai Wei Nan Nu)||Tang Ai Wei|
|Bang Bang Tang||Channel V Taiwan||14 August 2006 – 29 August 2008|
|我愛黑澀會||Channel V Taiwan|
|LOLLIPOP哪裡怕||27 October 2007 – 19 April 2008|
|哪裡5打坑||7 September 2008 – 30 November 2008|
|Bang Bang Tang II||20 November 2008|
|Bang Bang Tang III||2 March 2009 – 30 July 2009|
|Fun Week Explosion (娛樂週爆)||壹電視||30 October 2010 - 31 August 2011|
|Apple Fun One Week (蘋果娛樂一週)||1 September 2011|
|(我愛男子漢)||STV||6 January - 7 April 2012|
|Miss Perfect (超完美小姐)||爱尚TV||6 June 2012|
|Power of Man (給力男子漢)||四川衛視||22 September 2012|
- 2011年2月 傳奇星2011寫真記事 - Legendary Star Memo 2011
|2010||"Metro Radio Mandarin Hits Music Awards Presentation" (新城國語力頒獎禮)||Popular Dance Song Award for Dance Can Be Replaced (with Qiu Wang Zi)|||
|Idol Award (with Qiu Wang Zi)|||
|Seventh Hit Golden King Awards (第七屆勁歌王金曲金榜)||Best Dance Song Award for Dance Can Be Replaced (with Qiu Wang Zi)|||
|Idol Award (with Qiu Wang Zi)|||
|Chinese Golden Melody Awards (華語金曲獎)||Outstanding Dance Song Singers (with Qiu Wang Zi)|||
|Network Popular Singers (with Qiu Wang Zi)|||
- "Liao Xiao Jie Official Facebook account".Facebook.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "JPM Official Facebook account".Facebook.Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "Qiu Wang Zi Official Facebook account".Facebook.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Qiu Mao Di Official Facebook Account".Facebook.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Formation of JPM".Lollipop (a.k.a. Bang Bang Tang).Retrieved.2013-05-20.
- (Chinese)"Lollipop F Website in Gold Typhoon".GoldTyphoon.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- 模范棒棒堂. Channel [V]. Taiwan, 2006. Television.
- (Chinese)"棒棒糖".Chinaw3.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Repackaged boy group JPM gets ready to launch".Cpopaccess.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "A Legend Star Entertainment Official Facebook Account".Facebook.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "JPM".Hewiki.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- 棒棒堂2. Taiwan, 2008. Television.
- "Lolly's Official Facebook Account".Facebook.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Apple Daily".棒棒堂花3萬 抓小母狗慰寂寞 敖犬當爸溺愛無比
- "Black Angle Crew".Black Angle Crew's official site.
- "男孩徵選北區特集". 模范棒棒堂. Season 1. Episode 1. 2006-08-14.
- "邁向演藝聖堂 棒棒堂六男確定!!". 模范棒棒堂. Season 1. Episode 76. 2006-11-27
- (Chinese)"棒棒糖".Chinaw3.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Colorful Lollipop (EP+DVD)- Lollipop Introduction".Yesasia.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Lollipop. Colorful Lollipop. 2007. CD.
- Lollipop. Summer's First Experience. 2007. CD.
- "EMI Music Taiwan".
- (Chinese)"黑糖瑪奇朵電視小說".Books.com.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- 黑糖瑪奇朵.FTV. Taiwan, 2007. Television.
- "棒棒堂怎麼可能紅到香港去". 康熙來了. 2007-10-03.
- Lollipop & Hey Girl. Brown Sugar Macchiato OST. 2007.CD.
- "EMI Music Taiwan".
- "Mingpao.com" (in Chinese).棒棒堂襲港Fans迫爆7層商場
- "LOLLIPOP香港行特別企劃". 模范棒棒堂. Season 1. Episode 308. 2006-10-17.
- "小女孩孤單的煩惱". LOLLIPOP哪裡怕. Episode 1. 2007-10-27.
- Lollipop. 哪裡怕. 2007. CD.
- "Taipei Times Online".Album sales (week of 28 December 2007)
- (Chinese)"夢想出發 閃耀小巨蛋演唱會 (DVD)".Yesasia.Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "Five Music Online".5 Music Taiwan Week 24 chart
- "G-Music Online".G-Music Taiwan Week 27 chart
- "Five Music Online".5 Music Taiwan Week 25 chart
- "畢業升級總評比 (上)". 模范棒棒堂. Season 1. Episode 529. 2008-08-25.
- "畢業升級總評比 (中)". 模范棒棒堂. Season 1. Episode 530. 2008-08-26.
- "棒棒堂二軍正選名單公佈 (下)". 模范棒棒堂. Season 1. Episode 533. 2008-08-29.
- 棒棒堂. Taiwan, 2007-2008. Television.
- 哪裡5打坑. Taiwan, 2008. Television.
- "哪裡5打坑". Season 1. Episode 1. 2008-08-07.
- "哪裡5打坑". Season 1. 2008-11-30.
- Lollipop & Hey Girl.The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries.2008.CD
- "The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries TV Original Soundtrack (OST) (Limited Edition) (Autographed Version)".Yesasia.Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries TV Original Soundtrack (OST) (Version 2)".Yesasia.Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Star Group Limited".棒棒堂新加坡開唱 三千位粉絲尖叫
- V-Power Love Music Concert. Taiwan. 29 Nov. 2008. Performance.
- "Sina news".第四十五屆金馬獎頒獎典禮暨星光大道衛視電影台獨家直播
- "Channel V News".CHANNEL[V]【模范棒棒堂】三代同堂全新開堂
- "羅天王相挺來撐腰（上）". 模范棒棒堂. Season 3. Episode 1. 2009-03-02.
- "NOWnews".范瑋琪不捨揮別棒棒堂 二度潰堤攝影棚
- "Choc7".Jpopasia.Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- Choc7. Too Young. 2009. CD.
- "I Am Legend (Limited Edition)".Yesasia.Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- Lollipop. I Am Legend. 2009. CD.
- "The Liberty Times".棒棒堂2009《我是傳奇》亞洲巡迴演唱會七月開唱
- 廖問之越V風雲. Dir. A-Wei Liu. Perf. Liao Xiao Jie. Channel [V], 2009
- "HiNetNews".棒棒堂摸黑搬家 甩不掉跟蹤粉絲
- "The Liberty Times".棒棒堂4對2 王子小傑攆出門
- "2010-07-08 傳奇星facebook ~ 棒棒堂王子小傑[舞可取代]MV完整首播".YouTube.Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- (Chinese)"王子&小傑香港開唱人氣火爆 苦練Jolin折手舞答謝粉絲".Yahoo Taiwan.Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- (Chinese)"2010年度新城國語力頒獎禮得獎名單".Chinese Wikipedia.
- (Chinese)"維基百科".KKBox.Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "20100902 華語金曲獎2010盛典--王子 小傑獲獎".56.Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Repackaged boy group JPM gets ready to launch".PopAsia.Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- (Chinese)"Moonwalk details".KKBox.Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- JPM. Moonwalk. 2011. CD
- 娛樂週爆. 壹電視. Taiwan, 30 Oct. 2010. Television.
- 蘋果娛樂一週. 壹電視. Taiwan, 1 Sept. 2011. Television.
- "MOONWALK (ALBUM+DVD)(First Press Limited Edition)(Japan Version)".YesAsia.Retrieved.2013-05-21
- (Chinese)"365 Details".Yahoo.Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "365 (Evolution Edition)".YesAsia.Retrieved.2013-05-21
- (Chinese)"365天進化 JPM黃金三角能量啟動".YahooTaiwan.Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- (Chinese)"JPM全裸黏TT 感情好大呼「好膩喔！」".KKBox.Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- JPM. 365. 2013. CD.
- (Chinese)"365".KKBox.Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "壹電視微電影《愛味男女》".Flavor Lover Official Facebook Page.Retrieved.2013-05-21
- Liao Xiao Jie and Qiu Wang Zi. 舞可取代. 2010. CD.
- Lollipop and Hey Girl. Brown Sugar Macchiato. 2007. CD.
- Lollipop. Gyashan. 2007. CD.
- Yesasia.com The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries TV Original Soundtrack (OST) (Limited Edition). Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- Choc7. Too Young. 2009. CD
- Lollipop. I Am Legend. 2009. CD
- 鄧福如. 原來如此！！. 2011. CD
- Kimberley. Kimberley. 2012. CD
- "Kimberley陳芳語《愛你AINI》Official MV(HD)".YouTube.Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- Cheng, Andy. 傳奇星2011寫真記事. N.p.: n.p., 2011. Print.
- (Chinese) Liao LilJay's Weibo Account
- (Chinese) Liao LilJay's Wretch Blog
- Liao Xiao Jie's 1st account on Facebook
- Liao Xiao Jie's 2nd account on Facebook
- (Chinese) JPM at Sony Music
- JPM on Facebook
- A Legend Star on Facebook
- on 's channelYouTube