May 18, 1925
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US
|Died||July 17, 1998
New York, New York, US
Boys Club Award
Christopher Award 1972
|Spouse||Russell Hoban (1944–1975, divorced); 4 children (Phoebe, Abrom, Esmé, Julia)|
Lillian Hoban (May 18, 1925 – July 17, 1998) was an American illustrator and children's writer best known for picture books created with other writers including her husband Russell Hoban. According to OCLC, she has published 326 works in 1,401 publications in 11 languages.
She was always interested in art and wanted to become an artist. At age 14, she started classes at Graphic Sketch Club. Later on, she won a scholarship to the Philadelphia Museum School of Art, where she majored in Illustration. After getting married and settling in New York City, Hoban gave up art to study dance at the Hanya Holm School. She dedicated to dancing until the birth of her third son. She began to write her own stories only after having four children of her own. She based her tales on their experiences.
Her "I-Can-Read" books about Arthur the chimpanzee and his little sister Violet, and the series Frances the Badger written by Russell (some illustrated by Garth Williams, most by Lillian), continue to be extremely popular among children as time goes by, widely considered to be classics. Charlie the Tramp, about a wayward young beaver and his family, is out of print.
Hoban illustrated the Riverside Kids series including Russell Rides Again, Elisa In The Middle, Superduper Teddy, and Busybody Nora. The last Riverside Kids book she illustrated is Ever-Clever Elisa.
Selected books for children
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Back to School Day. New York: HarperCollins, 1996. Print. ISBN 0060249552
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Birthday Party. New York: HarperCollins, 1999. Print. ISBN 006027798X
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Camp-Out. New York, NY: HarperCollinsPublishers, 1993. Print. ISBN 0060205253
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Christmas Cookies. New York: Harper & Row, 1972. Print. ISBN 0060223677
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Funny Money. New York, N.Y: Harper & Row, 1981. Print. ISBN 006022343X
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Great Big Valentine. New York, N.Y: HarperCollins, 1989. Print. ISBN 006022407X
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Halloween Costume. New York, N.Y: Harper & Row, 1984. Print. ISBN 0060223871
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Honey Bear. New York: Harper & Row, 1974. Print. ISBN 0060223693
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Loose Tooth: Story and Pictures. New York: Harper & Row, 1985. Print. ISBN 0060223537
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Pen Pal. New York: Harper & Row, 1976. Print. ISBN 0060223715
- Hoban, Lillian. Arthur's Prize Reader. New York: Harper & Row, 1978. Print. ISBN 0060223790
- Hoban, Lillian. Silly Tilly and the Easter Bunny. New York: Harper & Row, 1987. Print. ISBN 0060223928
- Hoban, Lillian. Silly Tilly's Thanksgiving Dinner. New York: Harper & Row, 1990. Print. ISBN 0060224223
- Hoban, Lillian. Silly Tilly's Valentine. New York: HarperCollins, 1998. Print. ISBN 006027400X
- Hoban, Lillian, and Phoebe Hoban. The Laziest Robot in Zone One. New York, N.Y: Harper & Row, 1983. Print. ISBN 0060223499
- Saxon, Wolfgang; “Lillian Hoban, 73, a Writer for Children, Dies”,The New York Times
- "Obituary: Lillian Hoban". The Independent. Retrieved 2016-03-05.