Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Hong Khaou|
|Produced by||Dominic Buchanan|
|Written by||Hong Khaou|
|Music by||Stuart Earl|
|Edited by||Mark Towns|
|Distributed by||Artificial Eye |
Lilting is a 2014 British drama film written and directed by Cambodian-born British director Hong Khaou, whose short film, Spring, was selected for Sundance and Berlinale film festival 2011. It is produced by Dominic Buchanan, whose debut film Gimme The Loot had its World Premiere at SXSW in March 2012 and went on to win the Grand Jury Prize for Best Narrative Feature.
The film had its world premiere on 16 January 2014, on Day One of the Sundance Film Festival, at which it competed in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition. It won the Cinematography Award: World Cinema Dramatic at the festival. The film had a theatrical release in UK on 8 August 2014 and released on 26 September 2014 in United States.
Lilting tells the story of a mother's attempt at understanding who her son was after his untimely death. Her world is suddenly disrupted by the presence of his lover. Together, they attempt to overcome their grief whilst struggling against not having a shared language.
- Ben Whishaw as Richard
- Andrew Leung as Kai
- Cheng Pei-pei as Junn
- Morven Christie as Margaret
- Naomi Christie as Vann
- Peter Bowles as Alan
The script, original titled Lilting the Past, won third spot in the 2011 Brit List, a list of the best unproduced British screenplays.
During production, as part of the Microwave scheme, Michael Winterbottom mentored writer/director Khaou, while producer Buchanan was mentored by Ken Marshall, producer of London to Brighton, Filth and Song for Marion. As with all Microwave films, the budget was £120,000. It is the first bilingual film to be made under the Microwave scheme.
Lilting was met with positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 81% of 47 film critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 6.9 out of 10. The Sites consensus said:"Skillfully weaving multiple delicate tonal strands into a quietly affecting whole, Lilting serves as a thoroughly compelling calling card for writer-director Hong Khaou." On Metacritic the film has 61 rating from 23 reviews.
Justin Chang, in his review for Variety, said that the film "Hong Khaou makes a fine debut with this quietly resonant cross-cultural chamber piece." David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter praised the film, saying, "Delicate and unhurried almost to a fault, though also hauntingly sexy and even humorous at times." Amber Wilkinson from Telegraph gave the film three out of five stars and praised the lead actor that "Whishaw is magnetic as a man pushed to the edge of fragility by mourning, but who still suggests a quiet strength." Dominic Mill of We Got This Covered gave a positive review and said, "The subject matter is powerful, and the performances are wonderful – in a world of big and showy dramatism, Lilting gets its point across without feeling the need to shout about it."
|2014||Sundance Film Festival||World Cinema Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic||Hong Khaou||Nominated|
|Cinematography Award: World Cinema Dramatic||Urszula Pontikos||Won|
|2015||26th GLAAD Media Awards||Outstanding Film - Limited Release||Hong Khaou||Won|
- "Lilting (2014) – International Box Office Results – Box Office Mojo".
- "Microwave – Get Inspired – Lilting – Cast and Crew – Crew – Writer/Director – Hong Khaou".
- "Microwave – Get Inspired – Lilting – Cast and Crew – Crew – Producer – Dominic Buchanan".
- "Sundance Institute Announces Films in U.S. and World Competitions, NEXT for 2014 Sundance Film Festival – Sundance Film Festival". Archived from the original on 5 December 2013.
- "Sundance: 'Whiplash' & 'Rich Hill' Win Grand Jury Awards; Dramatic Directing Goes To Cutter Hodierne For 'Fishing Without Nets'". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "'Whiplash' Owns the 2014 Sundance Film Festival Awards Netting Two Top Prizes". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Lilting UK release date". Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Lilting BBC UK". Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Lilting". Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Tony Grisoni's Kingsland amongst new Microwave projects".
- "'Call Up' tops Brit List". Variety.
- "Microwave heats up three pics". Variety.
- "Hong Khaou's LILTING announced among new Microwave projects – United Agents".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 November 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Microwave – Get Inspired – Lilting – Directors Vision".
- "Microwave's Lilting, starring Ben Whishaw, underway in London".
- "Ben Whishaw goes from Skyfall Q to budget film". The Evening Standard.
- "Lilting (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- "Sundance Film Review: 'Lilting'". Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Lilting: Sundance Review". Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Lilting, review". Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Lilting Review [LLGBT 2014]". Retrieved 19 January 2014.