Lily's Driftwood Bay
|Lily's Driftwood Bay|
|Genre||Animated cartoon series|
|Created by||Colin Williams|
|Directed by||Colin Williams and Darren Vandenburg (Season 1)|
Tim Harper (Season 2)
|Music by||Score Draw Music|
|Country of origin||Northern Ireland|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||100 (list of episodes)|
|Editor(s)||Brian Philip Davis|
|Running time||7 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sixteen South |
|Original network||Nick Jr. and Milkshake! (UK)|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||5 May 2014 –|
Lily's Driftwood Bay is a Northern Irish 2D animated mixed-media television series for children. Produced in Northern Ireland, the series premiered on Nick Jr. in the UK and Ireland on 5 May 2014. It is created and produced by Sixteen South and Ingenious Media, based on an original idea and characters by Joanne Carmichael.
A young sea-treasure hunter named Lily and her Dad live in a beach hut on an otherwise deserted beach. They give the impression of a family living 'off grid' with their patched clothes and Dad's plain look - their transport is an old van, and Lily having only a seagull for friendship and most of her toys composed of 'sea treasure' found on the beach.
In episode 35 "Goodbye Seabird" Lily is presented a framed photograph, from her father, showing a slightly younger Lily, her father and a blonde-haired lady by her father's side. The episode deals with the death of a seabird on Driftwood Bay and a suggestion could be that Lily's mother recently died given that Lily appears only a couple of years younger in the photograph.
- Lily (Orlagh O’Keefe): The protagonist of the series, an imaginative, happy-go-lucky, cheerful and feisty young 5-year-old Northern Irish red-headed girl with a vivid imagination. Lily is always accompanied by her best friend, Gull (a Seagull) who often spies "sea treasure" that is washed up on the shore by her beach hut. Once Lily finds the sea treasure, she wonders what it could be, and gets whisked away to Driftwood Bay, an island that exists only in her imagination. During the title sequence Lily creates pictures of her animal friends with things that have washed up on the beach, which come to life on Driftwood Bay. Her catchphrases are "Sea treasure!", "Every day, a new adventure washes up on the beach!", "Hoop-dee-doo!", "Hooray!", "Across the way on Driftwood Bay!", "Come on, Gull!", "Aye, aye, Captain Salty!" and "What is it, Gull?"
- Salty Dog (Peter Mullan): Salty is a Scottish dog and the captain of a boat called "Delilah." He lives on Driftwood Bay. His catchphrases are "All aboard for Driftwood Bay!", "Land ho!", "Aye, aye, young Lily!", "Welcome aboard, Old Delilah!", "Golden goose caps!", "Moldering mudskippers!", "Lumbering lobsters!" and "Slippery scallions!"Salty takes Lily to Driftwood Bay on his boat. Salty seems to be in love with Hatsie Hen.
- Nonna Dog (Annette Crosbie): Nonna is a Scottish dog who is Salty's older sister and the owner of the Cockle Cafe on Driftwood Bay.
- Hatsie Hen (Tameka Empson): Hatsie is a train-driving English hen who Salty seems to be in love with. She lives on Driftwood Bay.
- Bull Dozer (Ardal O'Hanlon): Bull is an Irish bull who lives on Driftwood Bay.
- Wee Rabbit: (Jane Horrocks) Wee Rabbit is a Welsh rabbit who lives on Driftwood Bay. She is shy and loves art.
- Lord Stag (Stephen Fry): Lord Stag is an English stag who lives in Stag Castle on Driftwood Bay.
- Dad (Richard Dormer): Lily's Dad who loves her and stays at home, always there when she returns from her adventures.
- Gull (Paul Currie): Gull is Lily's best friend who is a seagull and is very squawky and talkative.
- Puffin (Paul Currie): Puffin is a puffin who lives on Driftwood Bay.
- Noleen Hen (Dolly Parton): Noleen is a famous American country singer/songwriter and guitarist who gets washed up in a storm on Driftwood Bay. She appears in the episode "The Salty Chicken."
- Dredger Tom Fox (Robert Brydon): The antagonist of the series. Tom is a seafaring Welsh silver fox who is Nonna's former childhood sweetheart. He appears in the episode "The Proposal."
- Roweena Rabbit is Wee Rabbit's sister who appears in "Fabulous Darling"
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.K. dates)|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||52||5 May 2014||TBA|
|2||TBA||7 August 2017||TBA|
Season 1 (2014)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Australian air date|
|1||"Honking Haddock"||TBA||TBA||19 May 2014|
|Salty Dog prepares for having lunch with Hatsie Hen and uses old Honking Haddock aftershave. He doesn't listen when Lily tells him that he has a bad smell.|
|2||"Old Bertha"||TBA||TBA||20 May 2014|
|Salty Dog's old ship broke down.|
|3||"Stop That Pudding"||TBA||TBA||21 May 2014|
|4||"Puffin Muffins"||TBA||TBA||22 May 2014|
|5||"Starfish In The Sky"||TBA||TBA||23 May 2014|
|6||"All At Sea"||TBA||TBA||24 May 2014|
|7||"Silly Seals"||TBA||TBA||25 May 2014|
|8||"Pirate Puffin"||TBA||TBA||26 May 2014|
|9||"Harbour Cookies"||TBA||TBA||27 May 2014|
|10||"Seaweed Pie"||TBA||TBA||28 May 2014|
|11||"Runaway Stag"||TBA||TBA||29 May 2014|
|12||"Snippy"||TBA||TBA||30 May 2014|
|13||"Splatball"||TBA||TBA||31 May 2014|
|14||"Thar She Blows"||TBA||TBA||1 June 2014|
|When Lily and Salty Dog see a mystery creature that looks like a big, blue rock on their way to Driftwood Bay, all the friends gather on the ship and discover the creature was a whale. Featuring the song "No Place Like Sea" with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.|
|15||"Rescue"||TBA||TBA||2 June 2014|
|16||"A Bee In A Million"||TBA||TBA||3 June 2014|
|17||"Time Out"||TBA||TBA||4 June 2014|
|18||"The Mystery Key"||TBA||TBA||5 June 2014|
|19||"Logbook Lookout"||TBA||TBA||6 June 2014|
|20||"The Carnival"||TBA||TBA||7 June 2014|
|21||"Windy Things"||TBA||TBA||8 June 2014|
|22||"The Dance-Off"||TBA||TBA||9 June 2014|
|23||"Message In A Bottle"||TBA||TBA||10 June 2014|
|24||"Stop! Watch"||TBA||TBA||11 June 2014|
|Salty's watch washes up from the ocean and Lily looks after it.|
|25||"The Being Helpful Badge"||TBA||TBA||12 June 2014|
|Lily gets an award after it washes up on the beach.|
|26||"Bedtime Scarf"||TBA||TBA||13 June 2014|
|27||"A Very Important Visitor"||TBA||TBA||12 November 2014|
|28||"A New Arrival"||TBA||TBA||13 November 2014|
|29||"Plastic Iceberg"||TBA||TBA||14 November 2014|
|30||"This Flying Light"||TBA||TBA||15 November 2014|
|31||"The Monster Of Wild Rocks"||TBA||TBA||16 November 2014|
|32||"Storm-A-Coming!"||TBA||TBA||17 November 2014|
|33||"Summer Holiday"||TBA||TBA||18 November 2014|
|34||"Bulls Might Fly"||TBA||TBA||19 November 2014|
|35||"Goodbye Seabird"||TBA||TBA||20 November 2014|
|After finding that Old Razorbill has died the inhabitants of Driftwood Bay remember his life and hold a funeral. The episode ends with Lily's father giving her a framed photograph depicting her father, a lady and a slightly younger Lily. All are standing in close proximity and posing as in a typical family portrait. The episode might suggest that Lily's mother died relatively recently due to Lily being only a couple of years younger in the photograph. Featuring the song "Someday" with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.|
|36||"Catch That Picture!"||TBA||TBA||21 November 2014|
|37||"A Slippery Customer"||TBA||TBA||22 November 2014|
|38||"A Sheepy Situation"||TBA||TBA||23 November 2014|
|39||"Help!"||TBA||TBA||24 November 2014|
|40||"Funny Fluffy Things"||TBA||TBA||25 November 2014|
|41||"Captain Lily"||TBA||TBA||26 November 2014|
|42||"Dance Date"||TBA||TBA||27 November 2014|
|43||"Shush, Puffin!"||TBA||TBA||28 November 2014|
|44||"Fiddlin' Flatfish"||TBA||TBA||29 November 2014|
|45||"Whale Rescue"||TBA||TBA||30 November 2014|
|46||"Delivery Disaster"||TBA||TBA||1 December 2014|
|47||"Next Please!"||TBA||TBA||2 December 2014|
|48||"Remembering Grampy"||TBA||TBA||3 December 2014|
|A knotted rope piece washes up on the beach. Lily discovers that it's a special day for Salty's father when she asks Salty if everything is okay.|
|49||"Winter Games"||TBA||TBA||4 December 2014|
|It's snowing in Driftwood Bay. Bull wants to win a medal like one that Lily has.|
|50||"Snowy Sheep Chase"||TBA||TBA||5 December 2014|
|Salty thinks that a snowstorm is coming. He and Lily put the sheep away. However, one escapes into the storm.|
|52||"All Aboard!"||TBA||TBA||6 December 2014|
|Lily finds a xylophone and makes music with it. It features "Driftwood Bay (The Best Friends Song)" with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.|
Season 2 (2017)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||TVO Kids air date|
|TBA||"Runaway Boat"||TBA||TBA||7 August 2017|
|TBA||"Say Cheese"||TBA||TBA||8 August 2017|
|TBA||"Lucinda"||TBA||TBA||9 August 2017|
|TBA||"Songs of the Sea"||TBA||TBA||10 August 2017|
|TBA||"The Cuttlefish Cup"||TBA||TBA||11 August 2017|
|TBA||"Old Grampy River"||TBA||TBA||14 August 2017|
|TBA||"My Fair Hen"||TBA||TBA||15 August 2017|
|TBA||"The Houseguest"||TBA||TBA||16 August 2017|
|TBA||"Under New Management"||TBA||TBA||17 August 2017|
|TBA||"The Wanderin' Walrus"||TBA||TBA||18 August 2017|
|TBA||"Rockpool Roulade"||TBA||TBA||21 August 2017|
|TBA||"Halibut Howler"||TBA||TBA||22 August 2017|
|TBA||"Spanner in the Works"||TBA||TBA||23 August 2017|
|TBA||"Flying Felicity"||TBA||TBA||24 August 2017|
|TBA||"Oil Spill"||TBA||TBA||25 August 2017|
|TBA||"Big Puffball"||TBA||TBA||28 August 2017|
|TBA||"Peace and Quiet"||TBA||TBA||29 August 2017|
|TBA||TBA||30 August 2017|
|Lily finds a whistle. Bull is unable to catch his sheep Lightning so he disguises himself as one. Stag puts antlers on his ewe.|
|TBA||"Parker"||TBA||TBA||31 August 2017|
|TBA||"Haddock Haul"||TBA||TBA||1 September 2017|
- September 4: Drip Drip Drip
- September 5: Farewell Puffin
- September 6: Nurse Bull
- September 7: The Great Staggerini
- September 8: Rise and Shine
- September 11: Monster Mash
- September 12: Potty Parsley
- September 13: Fishing for Dandelions
- September 14: Fire!
- September 15: Mumsie
- 18: Lost in the Garden
- 19: The Daily Driftwood
- 20: Beached
- 21: Celestial Surprise
- 22: Wee Rabbit, Big Voice
- 25 Sea Mist
- 26 Bootcamp
- 27 At Your Service
- 28 Guiding Light
- 29 Paper Lanterns
- October 2nd: Mr. Parrot
- 3 Home
- 4 St. Scallion's Day
Season 3 (2018)
The final 3 episodes aired on 2 July 2018 on TVO, air order in Eastern Standard Time:
- "The Proposal" at 11:14am. Bull thinks Salty has proposed marriage to his sister Nonna.
- "Fabulous Darling" at 11:28am. Hatsie's sis Roweena visits.
- "The Salty Chicken" at 11:42am. A duet is proposed to Salty by a visiting starlet.
Home video history
The series premiered on Universal Kids in the United States on 12 May and on ABC in Australia on 19 May 2014. In Ireland, it airs on RTÉ. It is now also airing on Channel 5 - Milkshake! in the UK. Piwi+ in France on August 2016. In Canada it was broadcast on Family Jr. on September 3, 2016, then season 2 aired on TVO Kids in August 2017.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (3 February 2014). "Sixteen South Announces Driftwood Bay Voice Cast". Animation World Network. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Lily's Driftwood Bay". ABC. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Mon Aug 7". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 7 August 2017.
11:44 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Season 2 Runaway Boat
- "Mon Aug 21". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:43 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Rockpool Roulade
- "Tue Aug 22". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:43 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Halibut Howler
- "Wed Aug 23". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:43 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Spanner In The Works Nonna's pipes need repairing and Salty, being a loyal brother, pledges to fix them for her. Salty's plumbing skills, however, are not up to much and things are soon erupting in a cartastrophic way. Stubborn Salty finally relents and lets Hatsie, a real plumbing expert, fix the problem!
- "Thu Aug 24". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:44 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Flying Felicity Lord Stag finds his old motor car, the Flying Felicity, and takes her out for a spin without having her checked by a mechanical expert. Lord Stag's terrible driving leaves a lot to be desired and, when his brakes fail, Lord Stag has a lucky escape!
- "Fri Aug 25". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:43 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Oil Spill Salty over-oils his old winch, inadvertently causing a terrible oil slick in his beloved ocean and, even worse, endangering Puffin! The island pulls together to rescue their seabird friend.
- "Mon Aug 28". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:43 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Big Puffball Muddy Bull is told to leave the café until he can clean himself up. Lily goes one better and gives Bull a full, fancy makeover. Bull's friends find his new image funny and laugh at him, without realising that they are hurting Bull's feelings.
- "Tue Aug 29". tvo.org. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017.
11:43 am Lily's Driftwood Bay Peace and Quiet Salty is taking Hatsie for a peaceful picnic. He plans to play her a little song that he's written about his special hen. Lily, however, misunderstands Salty's wishes and decides to supply some music of her own, much to Salty's displeasure!
- "Sprout Readies for 'Driftwood Bay' Debut". License Global. 1 May 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.