A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||9 March 1960|
Afshar studied guitar at the Boston Conservatory of Music. She won the 2000 Orville H. Gibson Award for Best Female Classical Guitarist, as well as the 10th, 11th and 12th annual "Premier Guitarist" awards by the Memphis Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, Inc. Afshar was awarded the 2008 Distinguished Teaching Award, the 2000 Eminent Faculty Award, and the 1996 Distinguished Research Award at The University of Memphis. Her other awards include the Tennessee Arts Commission Individual Artist Fellowship Award in Music, the National Endowment for the Arts Recording Award, a Top Prize in the Guitar Foundation of America Competition, Grand Prize in the Aspen Music Festival Guitar Competition, and First Prizes in both the Music Teachers' National Association and the American String Teachers' Association Guitar Competitions.
Afshar was chosen as "Artistic Ambassador" for the United States Information Agency to Africa.
Discography, books, and DVDs
- Caprichos de Goya, Op. 195 – CD, Summit Records (1994)
- A Jug of Wine and Thou – CD, Summit Records (1999)
- Possession – CD, Archer Records (2002)
- Hemispheres – CD, Archer Records (2006)
- Virtuoso Guitar – DVD, Mel Bay (2008)
- One Thousand and One Nights – CD, Kargah-e Musiqi (2013)
- Musica da Camera – CD, Archer Records (2013)
- Bach on Fire- CD, Archer Records (2014)
- Classical Guitar Secrets Vol. 1 – DVD, Guitar Control (2011)
- Classical Guitar Secrets Vol. 2 – DVD, Guitar Control (2011)
- Five Popular Persian Ballads – Mel Bay (2000)
- Essential Bach for Guitar Arranged by Lily Afshar – Mel Bay (2012)
- Classical Guitar Collection Vol. 1 – DVD, Guitar Control (2016)
- Classical Guitar Collection Vol. 2 – DVD, Guitar Control (2016)
- Scarlatti and Weiss for Guitar – arranged for guitar by Lily Afshar, Mel Bay (2016)
- Spanish Composers for Classical Guitar – arranged for guitar by Lily Afshar, Mel Bay (2016)
- Valses Poeticos by Enrique Granados – arranged for guitar by Lily Afshar, Mel Bay (2016)
- Maurice J. Summerfield: The Classical Guitar. Its Evolution, Players and Personalities Since 1800, 5th edition (Blaydon-on-Tyne: Ashley Mark Publishing Co., 2002), p. 28.
- "Bio+Lily Afshar". Personal Website. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Summerfield (2002), as above.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2010-07-22.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Doctoral Thesis: 24 Caprichos de Goya, Op. 195, for guitar by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco and their relation to Goya's etchings by Lily Afshar
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lily Afshar.|