Lily Pond Avenue
|Length||0.60 mi (0.97 km)|
|North end||School Road/Tompkins Avenue|
|South end||Father Capodanno Boulevard|
Lily Pond Avenue is the middle leg of Staten Island's coastal eastern corridor, possessing the same route as School Road and Father Capodanno Boulevard. Important intersections include Tompkins Avenue, Narrows Road, Major Avenue, and McClean Avenue. Lily Pond Avenue passes underneath the Staten Island Expressway at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Landmarks include the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge Memorial.
Toll plaza reconstruction
The Lily Pond toll plaza reconstruction project was notable for going far over the timeline for its completion in 2008. The project was started in 2006, but had taken longer than originally planned. States Senator Diane Savino and Member of the Assembly Michael Cusick criticized the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the construction delays. The project was finally expected to be completed in 2014. There were concerns as early as 1994 about the huge mass of concrete used in the Lily Pond Bridge, which is one of three bridges or passes on the Staten Island side of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.
Points of interest
- The S51 and S81 along Lily Pond Avenue's entire route.
- The S53 from the Staten Island Expressway to McClean Avenue.
- The X4, X5, X7, and X8 from the Staten Island Expressway to Father Capodanno Boulevard.
The New York City Marathon directs buses and private vehicles to Lily Pond Avenue, which is just outside the main staging area for the start of the famous foot race. The street is then closed to through traffic.
The City of New York has a designated bicycle lane on Lily Pond Avenue.
In popular culture
Lily Pond Avenue is mentioned in several police procedural novels: in F. P. Lione's The Crossroads, the second volume of the Midtown Blues series, Lione's Skells: A Novel, the third volume of the Midtown Blues series, and Jamise L. Dames's Pushing Up Daisies: A Novel,
- Overview map of Lily Pond Avenue route (Map). Google Maps. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "Verrazano-Narrows Bridge Memorial, Arrochar, Staten Island". Bridgeandtunnelclub.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- New York, Washington. Le aree urbane e i dintorni: Guide verdi del mondo, p. 136.(Touring Editore, 2007). ISBN 9788836527687. (In Italian). Found at Google Books. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- Yates, Maura (August 24, 2008). "Lily Pond project:The slow road". Staten Island Advance. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- "Contract Awarded to Remove Brooklyn-bound Toll Booths at Verrazano-Narrows Bridge". mta.info. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Philip Dale Cady, Concrete bridges in aggressive environments: Philip D. Cady International Symposium, p. 246. (ed. Richard E. Weyers) (American Concrete Institute, 1994). Found at Google Books. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- "Staten Island motorcyclist killed in Fort Wadsworth crash is identified". Staten Island Advance. March 30, 2012. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- Sharp, Sonja (March 30, 2012). "Motorcyclist Killed in Collision on Staten Island". DNAinfo. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- Sedon, Michael (March 31, 2012). "'He loved that bike': Staten Island motorcyclist killed in crash was multi-faceted". Staten Island Advance. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- "Staten Island Nursing Homes - Nursing Homes - NYC Caregiver : Making it easier to care". Nyc.gov. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Approach Roads to Verrazano-Narrows Bridge at the MTA official website. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- "Local and Limited-Stop service between Grant City and St George Ferry Terminal" (PDF). Mta.info. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Local Service Between Port Richmond, Staten Island, and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn" (PDF). Mta.info. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Express service between Staten Island and Manhattan" (PDF). Mta.info/nyct. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Transportation to the Start of the ING New York City Marathon". 2012. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- "Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, street closures for New York City Marathon". Staten Island Advance Staten Island Advance. October 30, 2009. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- "NYC Bicycle Lane and Trail Inventory (1) - Part 6" (PDF). Nyc.gov. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- F. P. Lione, The Crossroads: A Novel, p. 127 (Baker Books, 2005) ISBN 9781441237255. Found at Google Books. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- F. P. Lione, Skells: A Novel, p. 165 (Baker Books, 2006) ISBN 9781441237262. Found at Google Books. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- Jamise L. Dames, Pushing Up Daisies: A Novel, p. 15 (Simon and Schuster, 2005) ISBN 9781416517269. Found at Google Books. Accessed July 2, 2012.