Lilydale railway station
Lilydale railway station platform in March 2015
|Location||Maroondah Highway, Lilydale|
|Distance||39.07 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 December 1882|
Lilydale railway station is the terminus of the Lilydale line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Lilydale opening on 1 December 1882. It was upgraded to a Premium station on 31 July 1996.
The station has an enclosed waiting area, which also contains former refreshment rooms which are opened by the Victorian Railway Institute on Friday afternoons and evenings. Stabling facilities are situated at the north-eastern end of the station.
Until it was truncated at Lilydale in 1980, the line continued to Healesville. The line between Yarra Glen and Healesville is now used by the Yarra Valley Tourist Railway. The track from Lilydale to Yarra Glen, including Coldstream and Yering is now disused. The Yarra Valley Tourist railway originally leased the entire line. However, they discontinued their lease on the section from Lilydale to Yarra Glen, because of the bad condition of the bridges in that section. However, there are hopes to eventually restore the entire line.
Also branching off at Lilydale was the Warburton line. It opened in 1901, and closed on 1 August 1965. The track was removed in the early 1970s, as was the bridge over the Maroondah Highway. Most of the right-of-way is still intact, and has been turned into the Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail. The exception to this is the part of the line approximately 800 metres beyond where it branched off at Lilydale. Mount Lilydale Mercy College currently leases this part of the line, which runs through its property. This is the only part of the line that is currently obstructed. Boom barriers replaced hand gates at Maroondah Highway in 1985.
Platforms & services
Martyrs Bus Service operates one route via Lilydale station:
McKenzie's Tourist Services operate two routes via Lilydale station:
Ventura Bus Lines operate eight routes to and from Lilydale station:
- 670:Ringwood via croydon via Chirnside Park via Lilydale railway station and Lilydale Lakeside campus extension the 670 service will not extend to Lilydale Lakeside Campus during Semester holiday periods
- 677: to Chirnside Park Shopping Centre
- 679: Ringwood station - Chirnside Park Shopping Centre
- Lilydale Vicsig
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- VR History by Andrew Waugh
- "Projects in planning". levelcrossings.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 683 Chirnside Park - East Warburton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 684 Eildon - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 685 Chirnside Park - Healesville timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 663 Belgrave - Lilydale timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 673 Lilydale - Lilydale Lakes timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 676 Lilydale circuit timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 677 Lilydale Station - Chirnside Park timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 679 Chirnside Park Shopping Centre - Ringwood timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 680 Lilydale - Mooroolbark timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Telebus 1 Lilydale - Chinside Park timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Junction||Continued as the Healesville line||Coldstream|
|Junction||Warburton branch||Mount Evelyn|
|List of closed railway stations in Melbourne|