|Born||7 May 1986|
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||Classical crossover, Operatic pop(Popera)|
Sony Music Entertainment,
Warner Music Group,
Universal Music Group(2014-present)
|Revised Romanization||Im Hyeongju|
Lim Hyung Joo (born May 7, 1986) is a UN Peace Medal (United Nations Peace Medal) winning (the first and the youngest Korean awarded) South Korean operatic pop (popera) tenor and classical crossover singer. He has sold more than 1.2 million (1,200,000) records worldwide, including over 1 million (1,000,000) in South Korea, and his total digital songs, singles and albums (including digital downloads, streaming and ringtone service) sold more than 10 million (10,000,000) units.
Life and career
Lim Hyung Joo released his first solo album at the age of 12 in 1998. He made his debut as popera tenor at the age of 17 years in 2003. On February 25 that year, at the inauguration day of the 16th president of Republic of Korea, he was the youngest person to sing the national anthem of Korea. His performance had been aired abroad. In addition, Lim Hyung Joo had a first solo concert abroad in June 2003, at the New York's Carnegie Hall. He was the youngest Korean male vocalist to give a solo concert in that venue. The performance was very highly received.
Lim performed with the world's major venues and orchestras. He gave performances in New York's Carnegie Hall, Alice Tully Hall at the Lincoln Center, and Hollywood Bowl, Walt Disney Concert Hall & Orpheum Theatrein Los Angeles, Main Hall of Knafel Center at Harvard University in Boston, St John's Smith Square in London and Wiener Konzerthaus, Paris' Salle Gaveau, and The Cathedral of Saint-Louis des Invalides and La Madeleine in Paris, Teatro di Marcello in Rome, Universal Hall in Berlin, AmsterdamRoyal Concertgebouw, Marble Hall of Mirabell Palace in Salzburg, Studio of Radio and television broadcasting in the Czech Republic, Tokyo Suntory Hall & Tokyo International Forum Main Hall(Hall A), Izumi Hall in Osaka, Main Auditorium of China Public Diplomacy & Culture Exchange Center in Beijing, Westin Shanghai, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall in Taipei and others. He performed with Berliner Symphoniker, Berlin Sinfonie Orchester, Wiener Sinfonie Orchester, Czech Symphony Orchestra, Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, New York Metropolitan Opera Chamber Orchestra, Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra, New Jersey Philharmonic Orchestra, Bavarian Chamber Orchestra, Salzburger Solisten, Vienna Soloists Ensemble, Vienna Mozart Ensemble Orchestra, American Union Chamber Orchestra, Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra, KBS Symphony Orchestra, Korean Symphony Orchestra, Eurasian Philharmonic Orchestra, Seoul Pops Orchestra, Prime Philharmonic Orchestra and numerous groups in Taiwan and Japan. Furthermore, he is the first Korean artist who conquered all three halls at Carnegie Hall, and the fourth youngest man ever to give a solo concert at the Opera Theater in the Seoul Arts Center. By the age of 27, he had performed at the TOP 3 classical concert halls of Korea (Concert Hall & Opera Theater of the Seoul Arts Center, Main Auditorium of the Sejong Center in Seoul, Main Hall 'Hae' of the National Theater of Korea).
- Seoul, Shinyongsan Elementary School (graduation)
- Seoul, Yewon Arts School (graduation 'vocal')
- New York City, Juilliard School of Music Pre-College vocal judges unanimously passed
- Florence, Accademia San Felice di Musica (graduation 'operatic voice'-Bachelor of Music)
- Vienna, Franz Schubert Konservatorium Invited student ('operatic voice'-Master of Music)
- Rome, Civica Scuola delle Arti di Roma (graduation 'operatic voice'-Artist Diploma)
Lim was a spokesperson for: the Seoul National University Hospital & LG Household & Health Care "beautiful face campaign", the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the Korea Tourism Organization "Korea In Motion" campaign, the 2009 Seoul Chungmuro International Film Festival, the Seoul CO2 honor Dr. PR committee, the Jung-gu district of Seoul, the Seoul St. Mary's Hospital of Catholic University, and of the 2011 Daegu IAAF World Championships. As of 2014, he is a spokesperson for the Korean Red Cross, the Community Chest of Korea 'Fruit of Love' campaign, the International Relief and Development World Vision, the Korea Association YWCA, the Green Growth National Union, the UNESCO Korean National Commission's first goodwill ambassador for peace and arts, the Promotional ambassador for 2015 Gwangju Summer Universiade, and He is the Art-one Cultural Foundation founder.
Art-one was established by Lim in January 2008 to celebrate the anniversary of his 5th world and 10th domestic debuts. He wanted to help disadvantaged, talented people by donating his proceeds.
Lim was the youngest editor of the magazine Weekly Kyunghyang, and he is an interviewer for the US magazine Forbes (Korean Edition). He was the youngest columnist from 2010 to 2015 in Dong-A Ilbo. In addition, Lim published his first essay, "Only One", with his mother in March 2005, and the book was ranked the top bestseller in Youngpoong bookstore.
- Lim Hyung-joo Becomes 1st Korean to Win UN Peace Medal 《Chosun Ilbo》, Retrieved 09 December 2010
- Lim Hyung-joo Concert 《KBS》,Retrieved 31 January 2008
- Yoon, GiBack (2013-12-15). "Popera Emperor 'Lim Hyung Joo, cumulative album sales in its debut 15 years exceeded 1 million". Sports world.
- Son, Min young (2011-03-25). "Global popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo, Japan Fuji TV special live appearances". HanKook economy.
- Lee, TaeMoo (2011-09-29). "'Read the newspaper of the year star 'popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo" (in Korean).
- Lee, yoon young (2003-01-06). "Boy tenor Lim Hyung Joo popera album release". Yonhab News.
- Lee, hyun woo (2008-07-14). "Lim Hyung Joo 'Never Ending Story' World is chosen to star series protagonist". Newsen.
- Kim, young hwa (2003-02-24). "Special broadcast by three presidential inauguration broadcast". Hankook Ilbo.
- "I'm very excited because I'll stand in the Carnegie Hall". Hankook Ilbo. 2003-05-15.
- "Today's Music". Naver.
- Kang, min jeong (2012-10-29). "Popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo, 日 standing solo concert ... "happy and seolrenda"". Hankook Ilbo.
- Lee, yoon me (2014-01-27). "Descended into the streets of the popular "Emperor of popera '". Herald economy.
- Seo, jeong min (2012-11-14). "Seoul Arts Center Opera Theatre performances, standing alone, it's blessing". Hankyoreh.
- Park, min kyoung (2013-09-30). "Lim Hyung Joo, world debut in the 10th anniversary concert 'Korea TOP3 Classical concert venues conquest'". World Ilbo.
- Moon, Sung Gyu (2005-10-05). "Lim Hyung Joo appointed ambassador". YonHab News.
- "Lim Hyung Joo's 'Fruit of Love' ambassadors". 2011-06-06.
- "World popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo, commissioned by World Vision ambassador". KookMin Ilbo. 2009-12-14.
- "Pop-opera singer Lim Hyung-joo named UNESCO's goodwill envoy for peace, arts". Yonhap. 2014-12-15.
- Paul, Osborne (2014-12-11). "Popera star appointed promotional ambassador for Gwangju 2015". insidethegames.
- Jun, ji hyun (2008-01-03). "Lim Hyung Joo established art, physical Gifted Education Foundation". Mae Il economy.
- Park, Se youn (2011-05-17). "Popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo donated 100 million donation, donation hidden king '". Mae Il economy.
- Kang, kyoung ji (2008-01-03). "Lim Hyung Joo The purpose of the Foundation, the gifted is gifted ..." Newsis.
- Lee, seung hun (2009-06-26). "Lim Hyung Joo, turned over to the interviewers through the 'Forbes'". Asia economy newspaper.
- "New morning, new face, new opinion". Dong-A Ilbo. 2010-06-28.
- Jeong, SunMin (2005-04-06). "'Cool care, indifferent love' Only One". financial news.
- "Popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo "I want to dig art gifted."". Nocutnews. 2008-04-10.
- Kim, Nam In (2004-10-09). "Popera Tener Lim Hyung Joo". Chosun Ilbo.
- Kang, eunjin (2005-06-14). "Lim Hyung Joo New York concert, Hillary Clinton attend". My Daily.
- You, Sang woo (2004-05-07). "Popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo, even classic Korean Wave". newsis.
- "Kenny G "Lim Hyung Joo has exact pitch."". Star news. 2005-04-11.
- Gwon, Young Cheol (2005-04-12). "Middle and high school students, "most people would like to see ..."". nocutnews.
- Kang, Kyoung Ji (2007-10-08). "Popera tenor Lim Hyung Joo 'romance of autumn night'". newsis.
- Lee, Ji Hyung (2005-12-04). "Lim Hyung Joo's first classic series 日 'Kōhaku Uta Gassen' appeared". MaeIl.
- Lee, Eun Jeong (2010-12-08). "Lim Hyung Joo, Korea First Nations' peace medal Award". YonHab news.
- Sung, Ho Cheol (2011-09-30). "15 year newspaper subscription newspaper ... Read Star Lim Hyung Joo". Chosun Ilbo.
- Lee, Jeong Hyuk (2013-01-29). "Lim Hyung Joo, "2012 Best Music / DVD 'Classic Division 1-3 above all accounts". Sports Chosun.
- Kim, Seong Han (2014-01-29). "Lim Hyung Joo, the second year in a row this year's Music Classical Division 1, second sweep". Sports HanKook.
- Nam, Min (2014-10-20). "Lim Hyung Joo, 美 California 'the House of Representatives Award'". Herald.
- "'Popera' singer Lim Hyung-joo to receive US presidential award". The Korea Times(Yonhap). 2015-02-17.
- "The 3 Popera tenors in the world=ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1228082/". CNNiReport. 2015-03-25. Missing or empty
- "'The TOP 5 most influential popera singers in the world'". Lim Hyung-joo Official Website. 2015-05-01.
- "30 under 30 asia". Forbes. 2016-02-01.