This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tan Sri Dr Lim Wee Chai is a billionaire Malaysian businessman. He is the chairman and founder of Top Glove Corporation Bhd, which was founded in 1991 and was listed on Bursa Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange) on 27 March 2001, and the Singapore Exchange (SGX) on 28 June 2016.
Lim graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree with Honours in Physics in 1982, from University Malaya, and obtained his Master of Business Administration in 1985 from Sul Ross State University in Texas, United States. He also obtained his PhD in Management from the University of Selangor in Malaysia in 2015, and was conferred an Honorary Doctorate in Business Administration by Oklahoma City University in the United States in 2016. In August 2018, Lim was also conferred an Honorary Doctorate in Entrepreneurship by Management & Science University, Shah Alam, Malaysia
In 1991, Lim founded Top Glove, a rubber glove manufacturing and trading business which started with only 1 factory and 1 production line. Under Lim's visionary stewardship, Top Glove has since emerged to be the world’s largest manufacturer of gloves, capturing about 25% of the world market share. Today, the company owns and operates 40 manufacturing facilities with a total of 648 production lines in Malaysia, Thailand and China. These factories have a production capacity of 60.5 billion pieces of gloves per year, to meet the demand of over 2,000 customers in more than 195 countries. In 2017, Lim announced that Top Glove would launch a new condom business in 2018 with a RM30 million (US$7 million) investment.
Involvement in associations
Lim has been actively involved in many glove industry-related associations and organisations in Malaysia. He served as the president of the Malaysian Rubber Glove Manufacturers' Association (MARGMA) from 1997 to 1999. Prior to that, he served as the vice-president, honorary Secretary and Treasurer of MARGMA for the past seven years. In addition, he was also the director of the Association of Malaysia Medical Industries (AMMI) and board member of the Malaysian Rubber Board in 1998 and 1999. In view of Lim's experience in manufacturing and global business, he was appointed as a Council Member of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) in 2010 and subsequently in 2011, as an Executive Council Member of The East Asia Business Council (EABC) by the Minister of International Trade and Industry Malaysia. In 2013, he was elected National Vice President of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) and was President of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) in 2016/2017. He has also been reappointed as EPF Board Member (2017 to 2019) by the Ministry of Finance and served as a Director and Board Member of University Malaya from 2015 to 2018. In addition, he holds the roles of Honorary President of the Malaysia-China Chamber of Commerce and Honorary Advisor of the Klang Chinese Chamber of Commerce, Lim Association of Malaysia as well as Huazong.
In 2018, Lim was one of three members of Universiti Malaya's board of directors whose services were terminated in an attempt to remove political appointees to the administration of the university.
Awards and recognition
Lim was also the recipient of many awards and accolades:
- Hall of Fame – Lifetime Achievement Award 2018 by The BrandLaureate
- The Malaysian Fujian Exemplary Leader 2017 by The Federation of Hokkien Associations of Malaysia (FHAM)
- FMM Icon Award 2016 by the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers
- Business Excellence Person of The Year, Sin Chew Business Excellence Awards 2016 by Sin Chew Media Group
- 2016 Malaysian Leadership Excellence Award, by the Malaysian Institute of Management (MIM)
- BrandLaureate Manufacturer Man of the Year (2012 to 2013)
- BrandLaureate Brand Icons Leadership Award in 2011
- Entrepreneur of the Year at the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards 2008
- Master and Country Entrepreneur of Malaysia for the Year, by Ernst and Young in 2004
At the corporate level, under Lim's leadership, Top Glove has garnered the following accolades:-
- ASEAN Business Awards 2018 Winner Priority Integrated Sector (Rubber-based) by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- Winner: Manufacturing- Chemicals & heavy Industries by Malaysia's 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2018, GTI Media
- Best Companies to Work for in Asia 2018 by HR Asia
- The BrandLaureate International ICONIC Brand 2018 by The BrandLaureate
- Most Innovative Award 2018 by Malaysian Rubber Export Promotion Council (MREPC)
- Export Excellence Award 2018 by Malaysian Rubber Export Promotion Council (MREPC)
- Nanyang Superb Brand Award 2018 (Category: Glove Innovation) by Nanyang Siang Pau
- MSWG- Asean Corporate Governance Award 2017 (Categories: Merit Award for Most Improved Corporate Governance Disclosure & industry Excellence for Mnufacturing) by MSWG
- Certificate of Excellence, Human Resource Development Awards 2017 by HRDF Malaysia
- Gold Recipient- Large Category 2017 FMM Excellence Award by Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers
- Winner: Healthiest Employees by AIA Vitality 2017
- Winner: Manufacturing- Chemicals & heavy Industries by Malaysia's 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2017, GTI Media
- Best Companies to Work For in Asia 2017 by HR Asia
- GRC Wickham Awards 2017- Technology Commercialization Award
- Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Award 2017- Lifetime Achievement
- The Edge Billion Ringgit Club 2017- Highest growth in profit after tax over three years (Silver)
- World Market Leader by Malaysia Canada Business Council (MCBC), 25th Anniversary Business Excellence Awards 2017
- MSWG Asean Corporate Governance Award 2016 (Categories: Merit Award for Most Improved & Industry Excellence - Manufacturing)
- Outstanding Global Venture Award in 2016 by Malaysia Retail Chain Association
- ASEAN Business Awards Malaysia 2016 Industry Excellence Award (Rubber-based) by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- Malaysian Leadership Excellence Award in 2016 by Malaysian Institute of Management (MIM)
- MSWG ASEAN Corporate Governance Award 2015 (Categories: Most Improved, Long Term Value Creation [10 years], Diverse Board, Industry Excellence [Manufacturing])
- 2015 Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific Medical Glove Company of the Year
- Top 2 Publicly Listed Companies with Outstanding Achievement, ASEAN Corporate Governance Outstanding Achievement Awards in 2015
- Malaysia's Largest Exporter of Rubber Gloves 2012 to 2014 by MREPC
- Malaysia's Largest Exporter of Rubber Products 2012 to 2014 by MREPC
- Malaysia's Top 5 Exporters of Rubber Gloves 2012 to 2014 by MREPC
- Asean Business Awards Malaysia 2015 AEC Priority Integration Sector Excellence (Rubber-based Products)by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- Best Mid-Cap Public Company by Finance Asia
- Ranked Malaysia’s 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2014 by GTI Media
- Asian Icon Award (World Class Entrepreneur) by Top 10 of Asia Award in 2014
- The BrandLaureate Best Brands (Brand of The Year, Manufacturing - Gloves) in 2014
- Outstanding Business Awards - Largest Rubber Glove Manufacturer by The Malaysia Book of Records in 2014
- Winner: Manufacturing – Chemicals & Heavy Industries in Malaysia’s 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2013 by GTI Media
- The Largest Rubber Glove Manufacturer by The Malaysia Book of Records in 2013
- The BrandLaureate President’s Award 2013 (Category: Glove)
- ASEAN Business Awards 2010 & 2012 by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- IDC Enterprise Innovation Awards 2010
- CIO Asia Awards 2010 for e-business by CIO Asia
- Growth Excellence Award 2009 by Frost & Sullivan
- Ranked number 1 among Top 100 companies in Bursa Malaysia with the best returns over the past five years, between 2002 and 2006, by The Edge in 2007
- Ranked number 1 in the Enterprise 50 Award 2007, by SME Corp, Malaysia
- Rubber Industry Award by Malaysian Rubber Board for the latex products category in 2005
- Annual Regional Best Managed Companies Award 2005 by Finance Asia
- KLSE Main Board Corporate Merit Award 2003 (Industrial Product Sector) by Bursa Malaysia in 2004
- KPMG Shareholder Value Award 2004
- "Oklahoma City University Commencement 2016" (PDF). Oklahoma City University (OKCU). Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Top Glove founder awarded doctorate". The Sun Daily. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Lim Wee Chai". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- "Top Glove to kick off condom business next year". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- "Top Glove's Lim buys 10.24% of Tropicana". The Edge Markets. 2017-10-25. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "Top Glove founder Lim Wee Chai joins Tropicana - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "Wee Chai Lim: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- "Universiti Malaya axes 3 directors from board | The Malaysian Insight". www.themalaysianinsight.com. 31 Jul 2018. Retrieved 2018-11-04.