This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tan Sri Dr Lim Wee Chai is a Malaysian businessman. He is the chairman and founder of Top Glove Group of Companies, which was founded in 1991 and was listed on Bursa Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange) on 27 March 2001 and the Singapore Exchange (SGX) on 28 June 2016.
Lim graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree with Honours in Physics in 1982 from University Malaya, and obtained his Master of Business Administration in 1985 from Sul Ross State University in Texas, United States. He also obtained his PhD in Management from the University of Selangor in Malaysia in 2015 and was conferred an Honorary Doctorate in Business Administration by Oklahoma City University in the United States in 2016.
In 1991, Lim founded Top Glove Sdn Bhd, a rubber glove manufacturing and trading business which started with only three (3) production lines. Under Lim's visionary stewardship, Top Glove has since emerged to be the world’s largest rubber glove manufacturer, capturing about 25% of the world market share. Today, the company owns and operates 30 manufacturing facilities with a total of 500 production lines in Malaysia, Thailand and China. These factories have a production capacity of 48 billion pieces of gloves per year, to meet the demand of over 2,000 customers in more than 195 countries.
Involvement in associations
Lim has been actively involved in many glove industry-related associations and organisations in Malaysia. He served as the president of the Malaysian Rubber Glove Manufacturers' Association (MARGMA) from 1997 to 1999. Prior to that, he served as the vice-president, honorary Secretary and Treasurer of MARGMA for the past seven years. In addition, he was also the director of the Association of Malaysia Medical Industries (AMMI) and board member of the Malaysian Rubber Board in 1998 and 1999. In view of Lim's experience in manufacturing and global business, he was appointed as a Council Member of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) in 2010 and subsequently in 2011, as an Executive Council Member of The East Asia Business Council (EABC) by the Minister of International Trade and Industry Malaysia. In 2013, he was elected National Vice President of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) and in 2016, elected as President of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM). He has also been reappointed as EPF Board Member (2017 to 2019) by the Ministry of Finance and is a Board Member of University of Malaya (2015 to 2018). In addition, he holds the roles of Honorary President of the Malaysia-China Chamber of Commerce and Honorary Advisor of the Klang Chinese Chamber of Commerce, Lim Association of Malaysia as well as Huazong. He was also appointed Council Member of the National Science Council (March 2017 to March 2019) in his capacity as FMM President, by the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
Awards and recognition
Lim was also the recipient of many awards and accolades, including the Master and Country Entrepreneur of Malaysia for the Year, by Ernst and Young in 2004; Entrepreneur of the Year at the Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards 2008; the BrandLaureate Brand Icons Leadership Award in 2011; the BrandLaureate Manufacturer Man of the Year (2012 to 2013). Recently, in 2016, he also received the Malaysian Leadership Excellence Award, by the Malaysian Institute of Management (MIM), Business Excellence Person of The Year, Sin Chew Business Excellence Awards 2016 by Sin Chew Media Group and FMM Icon Award 2016 by the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers.
At the corporate level, under Lim's leadership, Top Glove has garnered the following accolades:-
- World Market Leader by Malaysia Canada Business Council (MCBC), 25th Anniversary Business Excellence Awards 2017
- MSWG Asean Corporate Governance Award 2016 (Categories: Merit Award for Most Improved & Industry Excellence - Manufacturing)
- Outstanding Global Venture Award in 2016 by Malaysia Retail Chain Association
- ASEAN Business Awards Malaysia 2016 Industry Excellence Award (Rubber-based) by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- Malaysian Leadership Excellence Award in 2016 by Malaysian Institute of Management (MIM)
- MSWG ASEAN Corporate Governance Award 2015 (Categories: Most Improved, Long Term Value Creation [10 years], Diverse Board, Industry Excellence [Manufacturing])
- 2015 Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific Medical Glove Company of the Year
- Top 2 Publicly Listed Companies with Outstanding Achievement, ASEAN Corporate Governance Outstanding Achievement Awards in 2015
- Malaysia's Largest Exporter of Rubber Gloves 2012 to 2014 by MREPC
- Malaysia's Largest Exporter of Rubber Products 2012 to 2014 by MREPC
- Malaysia's Top 5 Exporters of Rubber Gloves 2012 to 2014 by MREPC
- Asean Business Awards Malaysia 2015 AEC Priority Integration Sector Excellence (Rubber-based Products)by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- Best Mid-Cap Public Company by Finance Asia
- Ranked Malaysia’s 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2014 by GTI Media
- Asian Icon Award (World Class Entrepreneur) by Top 10 of Asia Award in 2014
- The BrandLaureate Best Brands (Brand of The Year, Manufacturing - Gloves) in 2014
- Outstanding Business Awards - Largest Rubber Glove Manufacturer by The Malaysia Book of Records in 2014
- Winner: Manufacturing – Chemicals & Heavy Industries in Malaysia’s 100 Leading Graduate Employers 2013 by GTI Media
- The Largest Rubber Glove Manufacturer by The Malaysia Book of Records in 2013
- The BrandLaureate President’s Award 2013 (Category: Glove)
- ASEAN Business Awards 2010 & 2012 by ASEAN Business Advisory Council
- IDC Enterprise Innovation Awards 2010
- CIO Asia Awards 2010 for e-business by CIO Asia
- Growth Excellence Award 2009 by Frost & Sullivan
- Ranked number 1 among Top 100 companies in Bursa Malaysia with the best returns over the past five years, between 2002 and 2006, by The Edge in 2007
- Ranked number 1 in the Enterprise 50 Award 2007, by SME Corp, Malaysia
- Rubber Industry Award by Malaysian Rubber Board for the latex products category in 2005
- Annual Regional Best Managed Companies Award 2005 by Finance Asia
- KLSE Main Board Corporate Merit Award 2003 (Industrial Product Sector) by Bursa Malaysia in 2004
- KPMG Shareholder Value Award 2004