|Component villages||Limanu, 2 Mai, Hagieni, Vama Veche|
|• Mayor||Daniel Georgescu (Social Democratic Party)|
|• Total||76.66 km2 (29.60 sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
At the 2011 census, Limanu had 5,445 Romanians (88.97%), 8 Hungarians (0.13%), 84 Roma (1.37%), 3 Germans (0.05%), 6 Turks (0.10%), 177 Tatars (2.89%), 173 Lipovans (2.83%), 8 others (0.13%), 216 with undeclared ethnicity (3.53%).
The commune includes four villages:
- Limanu (historical names: Caracicula, Greek: Limani (Port), Turkish: Karaçuklu)
- 2 Mai
- Hagieni (historical names: Hagilar, Turkish: Hacılar)
- Vama Veche (historical names: Ilanlâc, Turkish: İlanlık)
The village was founded by Mihail Kogălniceanu in 1887 under the name Două Mai. Its first inhabitants were Russians from Bucharest, Iași and Galați. Later Lipovans from Tulcea County and Romanians from Argeș County settled here.
Vama Veche is a village in the Limanu commune, at . In 2002, it had a population of 178.
It was founded in 1811 by a few Gagauz families, originally being named "Ilanlîk". Its current name literally means "Old customs point", named so after the Southern Dobruja (or Cadrilater) had been included in Romania in 1913. In 1940, however, that region was ceded to Bulgaria, and the village has since lain once again near the border.
After finishing this campaign Crassus led his troops against the cave called Ciris(Keiris/Ceiris). For the natives in great numbers had occupied this cave, which is extremely large and so capable of defence that the tradition obtains that the Titans took refuge there after their defeat suffered at the hands of the gods; and here they had brought together all their herds and their other most cherished belongings. 4 Crassus first sought out all the entrances to the cave, which are tortuous and difficult to discover, walled them up, and in this way subdued the men by famine.
-Dio Cassius LI
Some historians identified the Titan cave as Limanu cave.
Twin towns - Sister cities
- "Luptă strânsă pentru Consiliul Judeţean Constanţa între PSD şi PNL. Noua garnitură de primari" (in Romanian). Ziua de Constanța. 7 June 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Constanța County at the 2011 census" (PDF) (in Romanian). INSSE. February 2, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "2002 census results". Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Plan de management al rezervatiei marine 2 mai — Vama Veche, Reservația Marină 2 Mai - Vama Veche, p.40. Accessed 14 October 2006.
- Dio Cassius LI 26
- Cave Limanu http://www.directbooking.ro/landmark-details-cave-limanu-622.aspx