|English: Our Language|
National anthem of Moldova
|Lyrics||Alexei Mateevici, 1917|
|Music||Alexandru Cristea, 1942|
"Limba noastră" (instrumental)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Limba noastră" (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈlimba ˈno̯astrə] (listen), meaning "Our Language") has been the national anthem of the Republic of Moldova since 1994. For a short period before that, the official anthem of the country was Deșteaptă-te, române!, which was also (and remains today as) the national anthem of Romania. The lyrics were written by Alexei Mateevici (1888–1917) a month before his death. Mateevici contributed significantly to the national emancipation of Bessarabia. The music was composed by Alexandru Cristea (1890–1942).
Uniquely among national anthems, the focus of "Limba noastră" is the national language, Moldovan (sometimes seen as a dialect of Romanian: see controversy over ethnic and linguistic identity in Moldova). It calls for the people to revive the usage of their native language. The poem does not make a named reference to the language; it is only called poetically "our language".
"Limba noastră", like "Deșteaptă-te, române!", makes reference to the awakening from the sleep of death: "a people suddenly awaken from the sleep of death" and "awaken, Romanian, from the sleep of death", respectively.
National anthem of Moldova
|National anthems of Moldova|
The original poem contains four stanzas of twelve verses each. For the anthem, the verses were selected and reorganised into five stanzas of four verses each.
Limba noastră-i o comoară
A treasure is our language that surges
Limba noastră is based on a twelve-verse poem. Today, only verses 1, 2, 5, 9, and 12 are used in the national anthem.
|Original Romanian||Cyrillic (used in Transnistria)||English translation|
Mateevici, author of the poem. In the background are written quatrains from the "Limba noastră".
- Anthem of the Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic
- Deșteaptă-te, române!, former national anthem of Moldova
- Moldovan language
- "Moldova: Limba noastră". NationalAnthems.me. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Ford, Chris (23 June 2016). "Not Sports: A Color Coded Map of Every National Anthem's Subject". All My Sports Teams Suck. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Limba noastră.|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Wikisource, "Limba noastră", full text of Mateevici's poem (in Romanian)
- State Symbols of the Republic of Moldova - The official page of the Republic of Moldova features a page about the flag and anthem, which include vocal and instrumental versions
- President's House - The official website of the President of Moldova has a page with information about the anthem. The Romanian version of the page also contains the music score of the anthem.
- Moldova: Limba noastră - Audio of the national anthem of Moldova, with information and lyrics
- "Romanian Nationalism in the Republic of Moldova" by Andrei Panici, American University in Bulgaria, 2002