Lime Point Light
Lime Point Light below the Golden Bridge
|Location||Golden Gate Bridge|
|Year first constructed||1883 (fog signal station)|
|Year first lit||1961 (current)|
|Construction||brick building (first)|
|Tower shape||square tower (first)|
post with beacon (current)
|Tower height||20 feet (6.1 m)|
|Focal height||15 feet (4.6 m) (current)|
|Light source||solar power|
|Characteristic||Fl W 5s. (current)|
F W (first)
|USCG number||6-4270 |
Lime Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse in California, on northern side of narrowest part of Golden Gate strait. The lighthouse sits at the base of a steep cliff near the North anchorage of the Golden Gate Bridge. It is built on a 100 ft long rock spur named Lime Point.
The brick structure for the Lime Point Lighthouse was built in 1883 as a fog-bell signaling station. It was eventually fitted with coal powered 12-inch steam whistles. During operation, the facility included the fog signal building, a coal shed, water tank, and a two-story keeper's quarters. The keepers building later upgraded to include a third floor.
In 1900, a lens lantern was hung on the south-east corner of the fog signal building, at a height of 20 feet above the water. In 1902, the coal-powered steam horn was modified to use crude oil to reduce operating costs and smoke pollution.
Lime Point Lighthouse continued to operate after the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge since it remained an effective position for a light and fog horn, even though Fort Point Light, at the South end of the bridge was decommissioned. Lime Point was automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1961, and the three-story dwelling and other buildings were torn down, leaving only the fog signal building.
- Lime Point The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 10 June 2016
- California Historic Light Station Information & Photography United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 10 June 2016
- "Marin County Points of Interest". noehill.com. NoeHill. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Lime Point Lighthouse". LighthouseFriends. Lighthousefriends.com. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- United States Coast Guard
- Lime Point Lighthouse Page at www.us-lighthouses.com
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Lime Point Lighthouse
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lime Point Light.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Marin County, California building and structure-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|