Limerick City (Dáil Éireann constituency)
Location of Limerick City within Ireland
Limerick City is a parliamentary constituency in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. The constituency elects 4 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 when it replaced the former constituency of Limerick East. Most of the rural parts of the Limerick East constituency have been transferred to the Limerick constituency. It was first used at the 2011 general election.
The 2009 Act defines the constituency as:
- "In the county of Limerick the electoral divisions of:
- Ballycummin, Ballysimon, Ballyvarra, Castleconnell, Limerick South Rural, in the former Rural District of Limerick No. 1;
- and the city of Limerick;
- and, in the former Rural District of Meelick, in the county of Clare, the electoral division of Ballyglass."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Limerick 2011–|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2011 general election
|2011 general election: Limerick City|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7|
|Fine Gael||Michael Noonan||30.8||13,291|
|Fine Gael||Kieran O'Donnell||12.5||5,405||8,306||8,414||8,545||8,774|
|Fianna Fáil||Willie O'Dea||16.1||6,956||7,369||7,403||7,432||7,768||9,424|
|Labour Party||Jan O'Sullivan||14.7||6,353||7,122||7,161||7,314||7,728||8,079||8,520|
|Sinn Féin||Maurice Quinlivan||8.6||3,711||3,829||3,877||3,894||4,518||4,634||4,758|
|Labour Party||Joe Leddin||5.6||2,411||2,628||2,645||2,712||2,926||3,084||3,291|
|Fianna Fáil||Peter Power||5.3||2,303||2,399||2,429||2,466||2,533|
|Socialist Party||Cian Prendiville||1.7||721||740||769||799|
|Green Party||Sheila Cahill||1.1||490||520||542|
|Christian Solidarity||Conor O'Donoghue||0.4||186||197|
|Electorate: 64,909 Valid: 43,188 Spoilt: 429 (1.0%) Quota: 8,638 Turnout: 43,617 (67.2%)|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of political parties in the Republic of Ireland
- List of Irish by-elections
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Constituency Commission: Report on Dáil and European Parliament Constituencies 2007" (PDF). The Stationery Office, Dublin. p. 5. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "General election 2011: Limerick City". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Prendiville campaigned as a member of the United Left Alliance.