Limmen Bight River
|Gulf of Carpentaria, Australia|
|Basin size||15,938 km2 (6,154 sq mi)|
|- average||36.8 m3/s (1,300 cu ft/s)|
The headwaters rise at the base of the Favenc Range near O.T. Downs and Broadmere Stations. It then flows in a northerly direction, with many smaller tributaries feeding the river which forms a series of braided channels across the plains. It flows past Sculthorpe Pound and through Limmen Gate hemmed to the east by the Tawallah Range. It continues through Limmen National Park past the Four Archers near Burketown Crossing and eventually discharges in the Limmen Bight in the Gulf of Carpentaria. Fifteen tributaries join the river including October Creek, Balbirni Creek, Lansen Creek, Crooked Creek, Tyangkulta Creek, Cox River and Nathan River. It also flows through a large permanent billabong, Broadmere waterhole.
The catchment occupies an area of 15,938 square kilometres (6,154 sq mi) and is situated between the Roper River and Towns River catchments to the north and west, the McArthur River catchment to the south and the Rosie River catchment to the east. The river has a mean annual outflow of 1,160 gigalitres (1.517×109 cu yd),
The river's estuary, which occupies an area of 62.1 square kilometres (24 sq mi) of open water, is in near pristine condition. The tide-dominated delta has multiple channels and is surrounded by an area of 21.2 square kilometres (8 sq mi) covered with mangroves.
- "Map of Limmen Bight River, NT". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Bauhinia Downs - Northern Territory" (PDF). Australian Government Publishing Service. 1964. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Drainage Divisions" (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. 2005. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 April 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Limmen Bight River" (PDF). TRaCK. 2009. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Australian Catchment, River and Estuary Assessment" (PDF). Natural Heritage Trust. 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 February 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Limmen River, NT". Australian online Coastal Information. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- "Place Names Register Extract - Limmen Bight". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 14 May 2015.