Limone sul Garda
|Limone sul Garda|
|Comune di Limone sul Garda|
Limone sul Garda
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Province / Metropolitan city||Brescia (BS)|
|• Mayor||Franceschino Risatti|
|• Total||26 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||69 m (226 ft)|
|• Density||45/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Saint day||July 10|
Despite the presence of famous cultivations of lemons (the meaning of the city's name in Italian), the town's name is probably derived from the ancient lemos (elm) or limes (Latin: boundary, referring to the communes of Brescia and the Bishopric of Trento). In 1863-1905 the denomination was Limone San Giovanni.
Until the 1940s the city was reachable only by lake or through the mountains, with the road to Riva del Garda being built only 1932, but today Limone is one of the most renowned tourist resorts in the area.
In 1979 researchers discovered that people in Limone possess a mutant form of apolipoprotein (called ApoA-1 Milano) in their blood, that induced a healthy form of high-density cholesterol, which resulted in a lowered risk of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases.
The protein appears to have given residents of the village extreme longevity - a dozen of those living here are over the age of 100 (for c. 1,000 total inhabitants). The origin of the mutation has been traced back to a couple who lived in Limone in the 17th century. Research has been ongoing to develop pharmaceutical treatments against heart disease based on mimicking the beneficial effects of the ApoA-1 mutation.
- "The World Gazetteer". Archived from the original on 2013-02-09. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
- "ISTAT". demo.istat.it. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Sirtori, C. R.; Calabresi, L.; Franceschini, G.; Baldassarre, D.; Amato, M.; Johansson, J.; Salvetti, M.; Monteduro, C.; Zulli, R.; Muiesan, M. L.; Agabiti-Rosei, E. (17 April 2001). "Cardiovascular status of carriers of the apolipoprotein A-I(Milano) mutant: the Limone sul Garda study". Circulation. 103 (15): 1949–1954. doi:10.1161/01.cir.103.15.1949. PMID 11306522.
- "LONG LIFE IN LIMONE - Visit Limone Sul Garda". Visit Limone Sul Garda. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- Lowe, Derek (16 November 2016). "The Long Saga of Apo-A1 Milano". In the Pipeline. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Limone Sul Garda.|
|This article on a location in the Province of Brescia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|