Lin and Larry Pardey
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Lin and Larry Pardey are sailors and writers, known for their small boat sailing. The Pardeys have sailed over 200,000 miles together, circumnavigating the world both east-about and west-about, and have pubished numerous books on sailing.
The Pardeys have sailed past all the great southern capes, including Cape Horn. Larry, assisted by Lin, built the two boats they used for two circumnavigations; both were under 30 feet and were designed by Lyle Hess. Neither boat had an engine.
Larry also was one of the first people to sail across the Sahara desert in 1967. In an expedition organized by the French Colonel de Buchett and sponsored by National Geographic among others, he captained a North American team of three including Richard Arthur and Warren Zeibarth as they sailed landyachts from Colum Bechar in Algeria to Noachott in Mauritania, a distance of approximately 1700 miles. For this each was awarded the Mauritanian Legion of Honor. In 1994 he joined 67 year old Leslie Dyball to take handicap honors in the bi-annual Round Britain and Ireland two-handed race on board the 30 foot S&S sloop Chough.
Together they have written eleven books and created five instructional DVD programs. Parts of these programs have been aired on PBS television.
In January 2014, As Long as It's Fun, the Epic Voyages and Extraordinary Times of Lin and Larry Pardey, a biography written by Herb McCormick, was released by Paradise Cay Publications.
The Cruising Club of America awarded their prestigious Far Horizon Award for 2009 to Lin and Larry in recognition of their combined voyaging on board many boats covering mileage totaling more than 200,000 for Larry and about 194,000 for Lin and doing so in a manner that is consistent with the goals of the CCA. They were presented with the SSCA award from the Seven Seas Cruising Association in recognition of their contributions to the sport of sailing and the cruising community - only the 16th time in the club's 60-year history this award has been presented.
- Mauritanian Legion of Honour, as Captain of first American team to sail across the Sahara Desert in a land yacht,1967.
- Outstanding Sailor of the year – West Vancouver Yacht Club 1978
- French Sailing Federation – Silver medal, Landyachting 1967
- Cruising Sailors to contribute most to the sport of Sailing - voted by readers of Sail Magazine 1990.
- International Oceanic Award - presented by Royal Institute of Navigation sponsored by Little Ship Club 1995 - in recognition of Larry's voyaging using traditional methods of navigation.
- Larry won the International Oceanic Award from the Royal Institute of Navigation in 1996, and was presented this honour by the Princess Royal, Princess Anne in 1997.
- Ocean Cruising Club Award - for contributions to Seamanship for small boat sailing. Presented to Lin Pardey 1996.
- Geoff Pac Memorial Award - to both Lin and Larry for fostering and encouraging ocean cruising in small yachts 1998 and 2001
- Cruising World Hall of Fame - 2000
- Ocean Cruising Club Merit Award – To Lin and Larry for inspiring voyages including a west-about rounding of Cape Horn 2003
- Seven Seas Cruising Club Service Award – To Lin and Larry for their lifetime voyaging achievements 2004
- Cruising Club of America Far Horizons Award - To Lin and Larry for lifetime achievements and contributions to seamanship 2009
- Sail Magazines Top 40 Sailors who made a Difference–2010- Citation - As America’s first couple of cruising, Lin and Larry have inspired countless sailors.
- Yachting Monthly - 25 Cruising Heroes Only non-British sailors chosen. March 2012
- Seven Seas Cruising Association - SSCA Award for contributions to the sailing community October 2015
- BoatUS – Leaders and Legends 2016 – Named among 50 people who made a difference to the world of boating
- Cruising in Seraffyn ISBN 0-901281-04-2
- Seraffyn's European Adventure ISBN 0-9646036-4-0
- Seraffyn's Mediterranean Adventure ISBN 0-924486-15-5
- Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure ISBN 0-9646036-3-2
- Storm Tactics Handbook ISBN ISBN 978-1-929214-47-1
- The Cost Conscious Cruiser ISBN 0-9646036-5-9
- The Self Sufficient Sailor ISBN 0-9646036-7-5
- The Capable Cruiser ISBN 0-9646036-2-4
- The Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew ISBN 0-9646036-0-8
- Details of Classic Boat Construction: The Hull ISBN 0-9646036-8-3
- Bull Canyon, a Boatbuilder, a Writer and Other WildlifeISBN 978-1-929214-67-9 Willa Cather Literary Award, Creative non-fiction 2012 - finalist Indie Book Awards - General Non-Fiction, also Memoirs
- Cruising Coral Seas
- Cruising with Lin and Larry Pardey
- Voyaging with Lin and Larry Pardey
- The Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew
- Storm Tactics
- Cruising Has No Limits ISBN 1-929214-17-0
- Get Ready to Cruise
- Get Ready to Cross Oceans
- Storm Tactics
- Cost control While You Cruise
- Down, Susan (18 March 1995). "Homes on the Sea". Times-Colonist (Victoria). p. 1.
- Lanthier, Nancy (19 August 2004). "Extra: Lin and Larry Pardey". Vancouver Sun. p. C18.
- As Long as It's Fun, the extraordinary voyages and adventures of Lin and Larry Pardey publisher=Paradise Cay Publications]] date=January 2014
- Duncan Wells (12 March 2015). Stress-free Sailing: Single and Short-handed Techniques. Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 122–. ISBN 978-1-4729-1974-8.
- "Lin & Larry - The Cold Hard Facts (bio)". Archived from the original on 22 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-05.
- Boating. 1977-01 - 1977-06. pp. 2–. ISSN 00065374. Check date values in:
- Herb McCormick (5 March 2014). As Long as It's Fun: The Epic Voyages and Extraordinary Times of Lin and Larry Pardey. Paradise Cay Publications. pp. 50–. ISBN 978-1-929214-99-0. C1 control character in
|title=at position 14 (help)
- John Vigor (1 August 2005). Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Sailing. Sheridan House. pp. 55–. ISBN 978-1-57409-338-4.
- Adlard Coles Heavy Weather Sailing, 6th Edition edited by Peter Bruce
- BoatUS, April/May 2016 - Leaders and Legends who moved the needle in the sport of boating