Lina is a common female given name in Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, especially among those born after 1980. It has roots in old Persian, Greek, German, and Arabic.
In 2011 it was one of the most popular female given names in Germany. It was initially used as a shortened form of names such as Karolina, Nikolina, Adelina, Evelina and Paulina. Since "-lina" is a diminutive suffix, it has no meaning of its own in Swedish. The Danish and Norwegian form is "Line".
The Greek writing is Λίνα. In Greek, it means "sunlight", and also refers to the olive crown used for a hero.
In Persian it means "light", "a ray of sunlight" or "pretty girl".
In Arabic "Lina" (لينة) refers to a small, young palm tree. It means "tender" or "tenderness".
- Lina Pheng (Okay Youtuber)]], Youtube channel ThatgirlLinaisagamer who was born in Texas, Grandprarie
- Lina (American singer), neo-soul recording artist who was born in Denver, Colorado
- Lina (South Korean singer), (born 1984) singer who is a member of The Grace
- Lina Kostenko (born 1930), Ukrainian poet and writer
- Lina Cavalieri (1874–1944), Italian operatic soprano
- Lina Heydrich (1911–1985), wife of SS-Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich
- Lina Krasnoroutskaya (born 1984), Russian former tennis player
- Lina Magull (born 1994), German footballer
- Lina Marengo (1911–1987), Italian actress
- Lina Medina (born 1933), the youngest confirmed mother in medical history
- Lina Morgenstern (born 1830), German writer, educator, feminist and pacifist
- Lina Nikolakopoulou (born 1958), Greek lyricist
- Lina Radke (born 1903), German runner and the first Olympic champion in the 800 m for women
- Lina Tsaldari (1887–1981), Greek politician
- Lina Bo Bardi (1914–1992), Brazilian Modernist Architect born in Italy.
- Lina Wertmüller (born 1926), Italian film director
- Lina Leandersson (born 1995), Swedish actress
- Wang Lina (disambiguation)
- Li Na (disambiguation)
- Lina Makhul (born 1993), Arab singer
- Lina, a heroine in the video game Dota 2.
- Lina, a heroine from the video game Riviera: The Promised Land
- Lina Inverse, fictional sorceress from the anime series Slayers
- Lina Mayfleet, main character in the Books of Ember
- Lina, the maid in Astrid Lindgren's stories of Emil i Lönneberga (Emil of Maple Hill)
- Lina Lamont, character played by Jean Hagen in the movie Singin' in the Rain
- Lina (McLaidlaw), Aysgarth, character played by Joan Fontaine in the movie Suspicion (film)
- Lina the dog-like monster, in The Princess and Curdie
- Lina, a fictional character from the TV short series Jay Jay's Mysteries from Jay Jay the Jet Plane
- Lena, a fictional character from the animated TV show series DuckTales (2017).
- LINA (software), a software to run applications compiled for Linux under Windows and OS X (Macintosh).
- frequency of given name Lina in Germany (chart) beliebte-vornamen.de Accessed: August 14, 2012
- 1000 most popular given names in 2011 (list) with Lina ranked 7th beliebte-vornamen.de Accessed: August 14, 2012
- Petrovsky, p. 33
- Н. А. Петровский (N. A. Petrovsky). "Словарь русских личных имён" (Dictionary of Russian First Names). ООО Издательство "АСТ". Москва, 2005. ISBN 5-17-002940-3
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|