|Alma mater||Victoria College, Melbourne|
|Occupation||Founder, Kangaroo Kids Education Limited|
|Awards||Lifetime Award for Achievement in Education (2014)|
Alumni Excellence Award (2015)
Inspiring Business Leaders India Award (2016)
Lina Ashar is an Indian educationist, entrepreneur, and writer based in Mumbai. She is the chairman of Kangaroo Kids Education Limited (KKEL), an education chain that runs the schools. She is also the founder of Kangaroo Kids International Preschool and Billabong High International School. Lina has received numerous awards for her work. The most notable award she has received is the Lifetime Award for Achievement in Education by Education World in 2014.
Early life and background
Lina is an Australian citizen who grew up in England and presently lives in Mumbai. She finished her primary schooling in England and traveled to Australia to complete her secondary and tertiary schooling in Melbourne. She completed her Bachelor's degree in Education from Melbourne's Victoria College, Melbourne.
Lina began her career as a secondary school teacher in Melbourne, Australia. In 1990, she took a year-long sabbatical and came to India, while being in touch with her roots, she ended up taking up a school job in suburban Mumbai. She was surprised to see the education system is in India, so she started the first Kangaroo Kids Preschool in Bandra in a 650 square feet with a small batch of 25 students and today Kangaroo Kids is a chain of 70 preschools across India as well as in Dubai, Qatar, and the Maldives. Later she also founded Billabong High International School (BHIS) in 2004, which presently has 23 branches at 16 locations across India.
Awards and recognition
- Education Excellence by Indian Economic Development and Research Association
- Leading Woman Entrepreneur of the year in 2011
- "Education Entrepreneur of the Year" and Indian Education Awards- 2012 presented by Franchise India & Bloomberg
- Leading Women Entrepreneur by iiGlobal
- Lifetime Award for Achievement in Education by Education World
- Panelist at The Economic Times Future of Learning Summit 2014
- Who Do You Think You Are Kidding? Random House India, 2012, ISBN 9788184003628.
- Drama Teen: A Cool-Headed Guide for Parents and Teenagers, Random House India, 2016, ISBN 9789385990724.
- "Meet Edupreneur Lina Ashar – The founder of Kangaroo Kids Preschool". Inventiva. 26 August 2017.
- "Learning by doing: fun school with a price tag". Mint. 2 July 2008.
- Nair Anand, Shilpa (18 August 2013). "On a different path". The Hindu.
- Riaz Usman, Muhammad (23 December 2017). "Incubating the future thinkers, innovators". Khaleej Times.
- Choudhary, Anuradha (22 March 2017). "Kangaroo Kids raises $20 million from Gaja Capital". Mint.
- "Marketing lessons Kangaroo Kids can teach you". The Economic Times. 7 September 2018.
- "IEDRA award for educational excellence". Dinamalar. 2 December 2009.
- "Lifetime Achievement in Education Leadership: Lina Ashar". Education World, Inc.
- "Ms. Lina Ashar – Founder of Kangaroo Kids of Billabong High International School". India School News. 21 April 2016.
- "Ms. Lina Ashar, Chairperson, Kangaroo Kids Education Limited". India Infoline. 7 April 2006.
- "LiIn the Kanga". Times Internet. 2 November 2003.
- "How She Did It: Lina Ashar on Building Kangaroo Kids Into A National Chain Of Schools". SheThePeople.TV. 6 April 2017.
- "Lina Ashar receives Lifetime Achievement Award for Educational Excellence". DigitalLEARNING Magazine. 11 December 2009.
- "Lina Ashar awarded 'Leading Woman Entrepreneur of the year' award". India Infoline.
- "Award Winners – Indian Education Congress". Indian Education Congress.
- "Stuti Jalan won the Best Young Women Entrepreneur at the Women Leaders India Awards 2011". The SME Times. 26 April 2012.
- "Speakers Lina Ashar – TEDx". TED.