||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Lina Dorado-August 2008
|Born||Lina Isabel Dorado
April 2, 1975
Bogotá, Colombia, South America
Lina Dorado (born April 2, 1975) is a contemporary artist and filmmaker based in New York City noted for her multimedia work and travel photography, Lina Dorado has authored two books in bilingual editions: Doble Vista / Second Sight (Arte Dos Gráfico-Editores) and Drawing Only, Solo Dibujo (Villegas Editores) alongside her long term collaborator: Luis Cantillo. Their book Doble Vista / Second Sight written by Dorado and photographs by both was acquired by the New York Public Library Museum of Modern Art in New York MOMA and the Whitney Museum for their Artists' Books Collection.
Early life and education
Born in Bogotá she attended a screenwriting seminar at 16 years old with the writer and producer Juana Uribe and landed a job writing for television as part of the creative writing team behind the TV series "De Pies a Cabeza", that went on to write many T.V hits including Colombia’s Betty la Fea ( Now the American comedy-drama television series Ugly Betty).
Dorado entered the B.A program in Fine Arts at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, where she was awarded for three consecutive terms the academic recognition matricula de honor (gaining top marks in her class with the right to free registration the following year). Dorado then moved to London earning a B.A.(Hons.) degree in Fine Arts specialized in Film and Video at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.
With a First Class Honours degree from Central Saint Martins, Dorado applied to the graduate film program at Columbia University in New York City. She graduated from Columbia University in 2006 earning an MFA in film directing.
After publishing two books and widely exhibiting her art work, she concentrated on her film work for which she is best known: She directed 2 AM, Two Around The Mountain (2005), premiered in New York at the Brooklyn Museum her first feature documentary: Dalai Lama, Colombia. Backstage previewed in New York city at the Maysles Institute in March of 09 and in the Tibet Center in DUMBO. Dorado has acted as a story editing advisor for films such as: Gogol Bordello Non-Stop (2008), Directed by Margarita Jimeno, and Abraham-Obama (2009) Directed by Kevin Chapados.In April 2009 Dorado traveled to India where she shot and directed a series of shorts about Tibetan Communities in exile, documenting the program of the Namgyal Monastery "The Heart of Tibet in Exile", organized by the Monastery of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.
As a music video film director she collaborated with musician and actor Mario Duarte Mario Duarte and his rock band La Derecha La Derecha, she wrote and directed a video titled The Specialist and the Eye". for their song "El Puñal". As of November 2012, the video had surpassed the one million views on YouTube. and the song was nominated as best rock alternative song of the year 2012 by the Colombian music magazine Shock
In 2012, Dorado directed a short documentary video about the Abbot Investiture of Tibetan Buddhist monk and photographer [Nicholas Vreeland]] commissioned by the Tibet Center This is a small document of an event of historic importance since Vreeland is the first Westerner appointed abbot of a Tibetan Buddhist monastery
Born in Bogotá, Colombia, she is the daughter of actor and screenwriter Humberto Dorado and painter Maria Moran. She worked alongside contemporary artist Luis Cantillo for over ten years they claim to "continue to comment and participate in each others endeavors" but each of them currently pursues their own individual work while admitting that their career "continues to be informed and influenced by their extraordinary artistic collaboration". Dorado lives in New York city with her long term partner, whom she married in 2011.
Selection of Exhibitions and Projects
- 2005 - Viper Video and New Media Festival, Basel, Switzerland
- 2005 - Brooklyn International Film Festival, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, USA
- 2005 - Independents Film Festival, Tampa, Florida, USA
- 2005 - 2 AM (Dos Alrededor de la Montaña), Alliance Française, Bogotá, Colombia (solo)
- 2004 - Doble Vista, Galería Diners, Bogotá, Colombia (solo)
- 2004 - Field of depth, Latin Collector, New York
- 2004 - Urbes Interiores, Luis Angel Arango, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2004 - A deux, Web Project, Forum de l’Image, Toulouse, Francia
- 2004 - Errancias, Centro Cultural Comfandi, Cali, Colombia
- 2003 - Afuera, Museo de Arte Universidad Nacional, Bogotá, Colombia (solo)
- 2003 - Errancias, Valenzuela y Klenner Arte Contemporaneo, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2003 - Still Life / Naturaleza Muerta, Biblioteca Luis Angel Arango, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2003 - V Bienal de Venecia Bogotá, Centro Comunal Venecia, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2003 - Solo Dibujo, Museo de Arte Universidad Nacional, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2003 - 16 FilmWinter, Stuttgart, Alemania
- 2002 - Airborne, Midlanda KonstHall, Timra, Suecia
- 2002 - File 2002, Instituição Cultural Paço das Artes, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2002 - EntreCasa, Galeria SantaFe, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2002 - Portatil, Museo de Arte Universidad Nacional, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2001 - What we did on our holidays, Hastings Museum of Art, Inglaterra
- 2001 - Travellers’ Tales InIVA, Londres, Inglaterra
- 2001 - Mobil Art, Gallery Rocket, Harajuku, Tokyo, Japan
- 2000 - A.U.R.E.L.S. Galerie d'Aurel, Francia
- 2000 - Transito, Museo de Arte Universidad Nacional, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2000 - Wigs, Diamonds and a Frozen Turkey, W.i.s.h. Gallery, Londres, Inglaterra
- 1999 - X-hibit 99, London Institute Gallery, Londres, Inglaterra
- 1999 - Barclays Drawing Award, Northampton, Inglaterra
- 1999 - Walk, Lambeth Walk, Londres, Inglaterra
- 1999 - Dislocation, Notting Hill Arts Club, Londres, Inglaterra
- 1998 - Emergencia, Museo de Arte de La Universidad Nacional, Bogotá, Colombia
- 1997 - 2nd Portobello Film & Video Festival, Londres, Inglaterra
Doble Vista/Second Sight, Written by Lina Dorado.Photos by Lina Dorado and Luis Cantillo.Publisher: Arte Dos Grafico, Bogotá, Colombia
Sólo Dibujo, Author. Original Concept :Lina Dorado curated by Luis Cantillo, Villegas Editores, Bogotá, Colombia
Best Director Award, Columbia University (New York, 2004)
First Prize Fine Arts Short Film, New Screen TV (USA, 2006)
II Bienal Inter-Americana de Video (Washington D.C., 2004)
File Festival (Brazil, 2004).The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship, England.
Poporo Animation Story by Lina Dorado 1st Award, Inter-American Biennial of Video Art, Washington DC, USA 2004
2nd Award, Salón de Fotografía ´El Municipal´, Bogotá, Colombia 2002
Mención de honor, Barclays Drawing Award, Northampton, Inglaterra 1999
1st Award, XXIII Salón Francisco Antonio Cano, Bogotá, Colombia 1996
El Tiempo Newspaper, Bogota, Colombia Jan 17 2005
Semana Libros No.2, Cuando el libro es un objeto de arte, Luis A. Parra, Nov 04
NY Art Magazine, Carlos Motta, Summer 2004
Revista Cromos, 'Los que vuelven', Dominique Rodriguez, June-04
ArtNexus Magazine No.53, Review of "Still Life", Marta Rodríguez, Summer 2004
El Tiempo, Los recorridos de dos artistas nómadas, Paola Villamarín, 16-03-04
Revista Diners, 'Arte a duo' Margarita Garcia, March 2004
Revista Cromos, Dominique Rodriguez, 12-03-04
El Tiempo, Lecturas Dominicales, Trabajo Fotográfico de Dorado-Cantillo, Graham Ellard, 14-03-04
ArtNexus Magazine No.49, Review of "Solo Dibujo", Marta Rodríguez, Summer 2003
Arte en Colombia, Review of "Solo Dibujo", Marta Rodríguez, Summer 2003
Periodico UN, Miguel Huertas, Sólo Dibujo, April 20, 2003, p. 24.
Revista Cambio, Más allá del dibujo, Nelly Peñaranda, April 2003
Zona de Distención, Primer salón abierto de Fotografía, Carlos Sanabria, January 2003
A6, Revista Asterisco, 'Dibujo:Aforismo pretencioso, Jose Roca, 2002
Le Monde, Jeunes artistes en liberté à la Galerie d'Aurel, Jacques Bugier, 25/08/2000
Biblioteca Luis Angel Arango, Bogotá, Colombia Museo de Arte Universidad Nacional, Bogotá, Colombia Museum of Modern Art (Colección libros de artista), Nueva York, EU Whitney Museum of American Art (Colección libros de artista), Nueva York, EU
- "iniva / people".
- "second sight / doble vista".
- "Solo Dibujo /Drawing Only".
- "Illustrated, descriptive index to the Artists’ Book Collection, located in the Kohler Art Library, University of Wisconsin-Madison".
- "The New York Public Library-Artists Book-DobleVista /SecondSight Catalogue Entry".
- "La televisión en Colombia - Una historia para el futuro - page 179".
- "'Ugly Betty' grows into swan around globe-Entertainment News, TV News, Media- Variety". February 5, 2006.
- "2AM Two Around the Mountain".
- "Brooklyn Film Fest: 2005: 'TWO AROUND THE MOUNTAIN'-film details".
- "Maysles Institute/Calendar/March".
- "Tibet in Harlem".
- "Tibet in Dumbo".
- "Gogol Bordello Non-Stop/ Hopzafilms / film details". Archived from the original on 2009-02-17.
- "Heart of Tibet in Exile".
- "NamgyalEvents". Archived from the original on 2009-04-21.
- http://www.boxmov.com/video-clips/videos/item/406-video-el-puñal-la-derecha "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- "'La Derecha - El Puñal (Video Oficial) – Laderechabanda". YouTube (Google, Inc.). Retrieved 12 Dec 2012.
- "Nominados Premios Shock 2012".
- "Tibet Center".
- "June 15, 2012 ~ Buddhist Abbot Nicholas Vreeland". Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly. PBS.
- "Mi hija es mi tesoro dorado".
- "Retrato con papá, En Imagenes, Lina Dorado, hija del actor Humberto Dorado, acaba de graduarse con honores de cineasta en Nueva York y es una de las promesas del arte colombiano". Cambio. Archived from the original on 2011-08-07.
- "Dorado + Cantillo Projects".
- Lina Dorado on IMDb
- http://www.telegrama.org] at Lina Dorado + Luis Cantillo official site