|Born||May 14, 1985|
|Occupation(s)||Actress, activist, producer, director, model|
Lina Esco (born May 14, 1985) is an American actress, producer, director and activist. She gained recognition in 2007 for portraying Jimmy Smits' character's daughter in the CBS television drama Cane. Esco has also performed in films, including London (2005), Kingshighway (2010), LOL (2012), and Free the Nipple. She is also known for portraying SWAT officer Christina "Chris" Alonso in S.W.A.T.
Esco was cast in her first television guest star role in 2006, as Angie Watson in series CSI: NY. In March, 2007 Esco joined the cast of the CBS drama Cane. In 2009, she guest starred in an episode of the Drop Dead Diva series with Paula Abdul. Esco played a lingerie model who had been fired for going public about her breast cancer survival story.
In February 2011, Esco was slated to join the cast of Fox's pilot Exit Strategy. Described as a high octane procedural set in the world of CIA agents who are sent in to "fix" operations gone bad. The cast included Ethan Hawke, Megan Dodds and with Antoine Fuqua directing. Esco was to play Mia, an MIT graduate and computer expert from South Boston. In 2014, Esco was cast in Ryan Murphy's pilot for HBO alongside Michelle Monaghan, Wes Bentley, Scott Speedman, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Esco's film debut was in 2005 with London. She is a supporting character in the 2012 comedy LOL.
Esco acted on "S.W.A.T." since its first season in 2017. She played Officer Christina "Chris" Alonso. Following the show's season five finale, Esco confirmed she was leaving the series to pursue other projects.
Producing and directing
In April 2010, Esco produced "My Friend is...", a public service announcement for the Academy Award-winning documentary The Cove alongside Oscar-winning producer Fisher Stevens joined forces with a number celebrities to bring awareness on the annual killing of dolphins in Taiji, Japan.
Esco has been showcased in various commercial, music videos, magazines and publications. In 2001, she was featured in the Sinéad O'Connor music video "Jealous". She appears briefly in Moby's music video for "Southside" featuring Gwen Stefani. She was also an extra for a series of Axe commercials one including with Nick Lachey for the "Clix" campaign in 2007. Esco also features in Halos's music video for "Amalgam" in 2010.
On January 12, 2011, it was reported that Lina would be showcased on the Louis Vuitton's jewelry collection for the Spring/Summer 2011. The campaign featured sixteen "It" girls from around the globe that included Alexandra Richards, Annabelle Dexter Jones, Mary Charteris, Alka Balbir, Mohini Geisweiller, DJette Clara 3000, Charlotte Lebon, Hailey Gates, Nathalie Love and Rinko Kikuchi.
Esco is in a 2013 NFL Women's Apparel Collection TV advertisement.
Activism and philanthropy
Esco has supported many foundations and organizations throughout her career.
Esco has been very involved in two organizations. Dolphin Project, which has gained much support from many celebrities, is an organization led by Richard O'Barry and aims to prevent dolphin slaughter and exploitation from occurring. On September 9, 2009, Esco held a private screening of The Cove in New York, alongside Russell Simmons and Fisher Stevens hosting the event to bring awareness on the film.
Esco may be best known for how involved she is in women's rights and the Free the Nipple campaign. The organization, as Esco states, is to promote sexual equality. Free the Nipple has attracted attention from numerous celebrities including Courtney Love and Miley Cyrus, who also has a song on the soundtrack of the Free the Nipple movie and continues to strongly support the organization.
Esco has been outspoken in advocating against sexual harassment (including recounting her own by Harvey Weinstein) and publicly calls on US states to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, which supporters claim would enshrine gender equality in the US's Constitution.
Esco is of Colombian descent. In 2017 she stated Harvey Weinstein had sexually harassed her, and that this had not been her only experience of sexual harassment. She has also spoken of being raped twice, while discussing the Me Too movement.
|2008||The Evening Journey||Marla||Short|
|2010||Where the Road Meets the Sun||Natasha|
|2014||Free the Nipple||With||formerly Girlrillaz, also as director & writer|
|2006||CSI: NY||Angie Watson||"Live or Let Die" (Season 2, Episode 18)|
|2007||Cane||Katie Vega||13 episodes|
|2008||Heroes: Destiny||Elisa||4 episodes|
|2009||Drop Dead Diva||Lina Martinez||"Grayson Anatomy" (Season 1, Episode 13)|
|2009||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Angela Paulson||"Death and Maiden" (Season 10, Episode 6)|
|2016||Kingdom||Ava Flores||8 episodes|
|2017–2022||S.W.A.T.||Christina "Chris" Alonso||Main role|
|2014||Free the Nipple||formerly Girlrillaz, also as actor, director and producer|
- "Almanac". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. May 14, 2023. p. A-2. ProQuest 2814723059.
Todays Birthdays: [...] Actor Amber Tamblyn, 40. Facebook co-founder, Mark Zuckerberg, 39. Actor Lina Esco, 38.See also:
- Ripley, Kimberly (December 27, 2011). "Miley Cyrus Comedy Release Date Set". Archived from the original on May 14, 2012. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (25 February 2011). "TV Castings Roundup: Slew Of Actors Book Pilots". Deadline. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "Gabel, Esco join 'Exit Strategy' pilot". Digital Spy. 25 February 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "Lina Esco: Christina 'Chris' Alonso". IMDB. Retrieved 19 Dec 2018.
- Petski, Denise (May 23, 2022). "Original 'S.W.A.T.' Cast Member Exits Ahead of Season 6". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 23, 2022.
- My Friend Is... YouTube. Retrieved 10 April 2015.[dead YouTube link]
- Kids Speak Out Against Dolphin Captivity - New PSA. YouTube. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2015.[dead YouTube link]
- "Free the Nipple (@freethenipple)". Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Keegan, Simon (28 December 2014). "Topless Miley Cyrus backs #freethenipple campaign for female equality". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Louis Vuitton handpicks 16 It girls for S/S 2011 jewelry collection!". Daily Front Row. Paris. January 22, 2011. Archived from the original on February 17, 2011.
- Ketel One Vodka (16 May 2011). "Ketel One® Vodka Launches New National Campaign" (Press release). Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Ellison, Sarah (September 10, 2013). "Fierce NFL Ad Highlights John Harbaugh Speech". Archived from the original on 18 September 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "tv.twcc.com". Archived from the original on 2017-07-20. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- Najarian, JW. "The Dolphin Project with Ed Begley Jr and Ric O'Barry". OnPurposeMagazine.com. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Lina Esco and Russell Simmons.jpg - udo salters photography". Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Tejada, Chloe (29 December 2014). "Miley Cyrus Supports 'Free The Nipple' With Topless Photo". Huffington Post Canada. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Strecker, Erin (16 December 2014). "Listen to Miley Cyrus' Song From the 'Free the Nipple' Film". Billboard.com. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Justice for #cyntoiabrown". Instagram. Archived from the original on 2021-12-24. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "S.W.A.T. Actress Lina Esco Talks Human Campaign and Opens Up about Alleged Sexual Harassment by Harvey Weinstein". 26 October 2017.
- "Actress Lina Esco Talks About Her Badass Character on "S.W.A.T."". LatinBoston.com. 8 January 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- Quinn, Dave. "S.W.A.T. Actress Lina Esco Talks Human Campaign and Opens Up about Alleged Sexual Harassment by Harvey Weinstein". People.com. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- The Playhouse Presents: The Sex Amendment, around the 34:05 mark. Retrieved May 12, 2021