Lincoln College Preparatory Academy
This article or section appears to be slanted towards recent events. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lincoln College Preparatory Academy|
2111 Woodland Avenue|
Kansas City, Missouri 64108
|Type||Public High School|
|Motto||"If You Are Not Here To Learn, You Are Trespassing."|
|Established||1865 as Lincoln High School, renamed LCPA in 1986|
|School district||Kansas City Public Schools 33|
Lincoln College Preparatory Academy (LCPA) (also known as Lincoln Prep Academy or The Castle on the Hill) is a three-year middle school and four-year college preparatory magnet school in the Kansas City, Missouri School District. The school is highly competitive as students are sometimes required to take entrance exams to get in. The high school offers International Baccalaureate programs.
Lincoln was ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the "Top 100 High Schools" in the United States in 2012 and 2015. In 2008 and 2014, the school received the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
Lincoln College Preparatory Academy is an award-winning middle and high school. More than 90% of its graduates enroll in college. The 2014 graduating class of 151 students received $15.6 million in scholarships, grants and financial aid. High achievement has been consistent, as the 115 graduates in 2002 received scholarships and financial aid in excess of $3 million. The student-teacher ratio is 14.0:1.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Lincoln Tigers actively participate in the following sports:
- This section does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Chamber Choir
- Gospel Choir
- Concert Choir
- Debate: In 2015, Lincoln Prep Tiger Debate became the first school to "triple crown qualify" to three different national championships. Under the coaching direction of Sohail Jouya, Ellen Baker and Monica Medeiros qualified to the National Association of Urban Debate Leagues National Championship, the National Speech and Debate Association National Championship, and the National Catholic Forensic League Grand National Tournament.
- Drama Club
- FIRST LEGO League
- FIRST Robotics: The Tigerbytes are FRC Team 1775. In 2014, the team competed in the Kansas City Regional and the Oklahoma City Regional. They advanced to compete at the 2014 FRC World Championship held in St. Louis with 400 teams from around the world.
- Jazz Band
- Key Club
- Science Olympiad
- Solar car racing
- Student Council
- Wind Ensemble: In March 2015, the Wind Ensemble traveled to Orlando, Florida to compete in Festival Disney, an annual musical performance festival. They performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City in March 2013.
- "LINCOLN COLLEGE PREP". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-08-28. Retrieved 2010-12-13.