Lincoln College Preparatory Academy
|Lincoln College Preparatory Academy|
"If You Are Not Here To Learn, You Are Trespassing."
|2111 Woodland Avenue
Kansas City, Missouri
|Type||Public High School|
|Established||1865 as Lincoln High School, Renamed LCPA in 1986|
|School district||Kansas City Public Schools 33|
Lincoln College Preparatory Academy (LCPA) (Also known as Lincoln Prep Academy or The Castle on the Hill) is a 3-year middle school and 4 year college preparatory Magnet School in the Kansas City, Missouri School District. The school is highly competitive as students are required to take entrance exams to get in. The high school offers Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs.
Lincoln was ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the "Top 100 High Schools" in the United States in 2012 and 2015. In 2008 and 2014, the school received the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
Lincoln College Preparatory Academy is an award-winning middle and high school in Kansas City, Missouri. More than 90% of Lincoln graduates enroll in college annually. The 2014 graduating class of 151 students received $15.6 million in scholarships, grants and financial aid. High achievement has been consistent as the 115 graduates in 2002 received scholarships and financial aid in excess of $3 million. The student teacher ratio is 14.0:1. The school actively participates in the FIRST robotics competition and JROTC. The high school Wind Ensemble band played at Carnegie Hall in New York during the 2008–2009 school year and returned during the 2012–2013 school year. In 2011, the high school Wind Ensemble traveled to China. Also in the same year, the Lincoln College Preparatory Academy Chamber Choir received their first "1" Superior rating at the State Festival in April. No choir at Lincoln has received this high honor since 2002 and no choir at any other school in the KCMSD has received this score since 2001.
The Lincoln Tigers actively participate in the following sports
Extra curricular activities
- Chamber Choir
- Gospel Choir
- Concert Choir
- Debate In 2015, Lincoln Prep Tiger Debate became the first school to "triple crown qualify" to three different national championships. Under the coaching direction of Sohail Jouya, Ellen Baker and Monica Medeiros qualified to the National Association of Urban Debate Leagues National Championship, the National Speech and Debate Association National Championship, and the National Catholic Forensic League Grand National Tournament.
- Drama Club
- FIRST LEGO League
- FIRST Robotics The Tigerbytes, FRC Team 1775. In 2014, the team competed in the Kansas City Regional, the Oklahoma City Regional and advanced to compete at the 2014 FRC World Championship held in St. Louis, MO with 400 teams from around the world.
- Jazz Band
- Key Club
- Science Olympiad
- Solar car racing
- Student Council
- Wind Ensemble In March 2015, the Wind Ensemble traveled to Orlando, Florida to complete in Festival Disney, an annual musical performance festival. The acclaimed Wind Ensemble performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City in March 2013.
- Official Website of Lincoln Athletics
- Lincoln Prep at KCPS
- Lincoln College Preparatory Academy at International Baccalaureate Organization
- Lincoln College Preparatory Academy at U.S. News & World Report
- History of Lincoln College Preparatory Academy