Lincoln Community School
|Lincoln Community School|
|Type||Private, not for profit, college preparatory, co-educational, International|
|Principal||Jeff Eller, Megan Maher, Marina Gijzen|
|Grades||Pre-Kindergarten – 12|
|Colour(s)||Blue and white|
|Website||Lincoln Community School|
Lincoln Community School is a private school in Accra, Ghana, West Africa. It is a non-profit, college-preparatory, international school. There is an expatriate population associated with the various embassies, Foreign Service agencies, NGO’s, United Nations organisations, and international businesses. They also have a large number of students whose parents are Ghanaian nationals. 25% of the students are Americans, 8% are Ghanaians, and 67% are from other countries. English is the language of instruction. Classes are offered from Pre-school through to grade 12. The school year is divided into 2 semesters (August–December & January–June) and additionally into quarterly assessment periods. It was established in 1968.
Lincoln Community School is authorised by the International Baccalaureate (IB) to offer the Primary Years (PYP), Middle Years (MYP) and Diploma Programmes (DP). It is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), The Council of International Schools (CIS) and is a member of The Association of International Schools in Africa (AISA).
The school has 78 classrooms including art rooms, science labs, technology labs, music rooms, a visual and performing arts center, junior and senior school libraries, an early childhood center, and office space for guidance and administration. Sports facilities include a multipurpose hall, playground, a multipurpose court, 2 fields and a swimming pool, a gymnasium, a stage, and dressing room facilities. Playground space includes 2 playing fields with recreational apparatus and a playground with a multipurpose court. There are three libraries (HUBs), one for the Elementary School, one for Middle School and another for High School.
As of August 2018, the student population is 704 students from 61 countries.
In 2011, there were 68 faculty members, including 26 U.S. citizens, 19 host-country nationals, 18 third-country nationals, and 5 U.K. citizens. There were also 25 teaching assistants.
The School is governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Members of the LCS Parent Association elect 6 directors for a two-year term and three directors are appointed by the U.S. Ambassador.
- "Lincoln Community School". State Dept. Office of Overseas Schools. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "International Baccalaureate Organization: Lincoln Community School Profile". Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Middle States Association of Colleges and School: Directory of Members". Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Council of International Schools: School Information Page". Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Membership Directory". Association of International Schools in Africa. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "Membership Profile". Association of International Schools in Africa. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "School Profile". International Schools Service. Retrieved 10 March 2011.