Wallen received a first-class degree in Mathematics and Physics from Durham University in 1982. He also holds a PhD in artificial intelligence from the University of Edinburgh, supervised by Alan Bundy. He was subsequently an academic at the Oxford University Computing Laboratory.
Wallen later moved into industry, working for the publisher Electronic Arts (EA), where he was CTO of EA Mobile, a business he helped to grow to create a $180 million business over three years. He then served as CTO for the online publishing business of EA internationally. Finally, Wallen joined the Californian film animation company DreamWorks, initially as Head of Research and Development from 2008 and later promoted to the position of CTO in 2012.
- Taylor, Colleen (3 October 2012). "DreamWorks Animation's New CTO Lincoln Wallen On Why Each New Movie Is Like A Startup [TCTV]". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "Lincoln Wallen – CTO: DreamWorks Animation SKG". Executive Profiles. Variety. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Giardina, Carolyn (3 October 2012). "DreamWorks Animation Promotes Lincoln Wallen to CTO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Finke, Nikki (3 October 2012). "DreamWorks Animation Promotes Lincoln Wallen To Chief Technology Officer". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "Gazette, 1982". Durham University. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Lincoln Wallen: Head of Technology for DreamWorks Animation SKG". People. World Building Institute. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Lincoln Wallen on LinkedIn
- TechCrunch (2 October 2012). "Lincoln Wallen of Dreamworks". YouTube. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "All posts tagged Lincoln Wallen". CIO Report. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 16 October 2015.