Lincolnshire loop line
The Lincolnshire loop line was authorised on 26 June 1846 as part of the London and York Railway bill. The then renamed Great Northern Railway purchased the Witham Navigation and all navigation rights the same year and began construction of the new line, partly beside the river, in 1847. The line opened in 1848 and was for a short period the main route to the north and Scotland until the line from Peterborough to Retford was opened in August 1852. Closure came in sections: the first was Woodhall Junction to Boston which closed to passengers and goods on 17 June 1963.[page needed]
The line from Lincoln to Boston was known as the Witham loop because it followed the course of the River Witham, passing through Washingborough, Five Mile House, Bardney, Southrey, Stixwould, Tattershall, Dogdyke, and Langrick. The line from Boston to Spalding passed through three intermediate stations, Kirton, Algarkirk and Sutterton, and Surfleet; much of this section is now under the A16 road. The final section to Peterborough also had three intermediate stations, Littleworth, St James Deeping, and Peakirk. This section is the only part of the line that remains in operation, although most of the stations have long been closed and disused.[page needed]
List of railway stations
- Gainsborough – line and station open.
- Saxilby – line and station open.
- Lincoln Central – line and station open.
- Washingborough – closed and disused.
- Five Mile House – closed and disused.
- Bardney – closed and disused.
- Southrey – closed and disused.
- Stixwould – closed and disused.
- Woodhall Junction – closed and disused.
- Tattershall – closed and disused.
- Dogdyke – closed and disused.
- Langrick – closed and disused.
- Boston – line and station open.
- Spalding – line and station open.
- Peterborough – line and station open.
Water Rail Way
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Water Rail Way.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lincolnshire Loop Line.|
- "Great Northern Railway Company: Records". The National Archives.
- "Disused Stations". Subterranea Britannica.
- Ludlam, A.J. (July 1995). Lincolnshire Loop Line (GNR) and the River Witham. Locomotion Papers. The Oakwood Press. ISBN 978-0853614647.
- "Water Rail Way". Sustrans. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "Photographs of Water Rail Way". Geograph project. Retrieved 2013-03-12.