Linda Chapa LaVia
Linda Chapa LaVia
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives|
from the 83rd district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Brent Hassert (redistricted)|
|Born||August 16, 1966|
Aurora, Illinois, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Chicago|
|Profession||Full Time Legislator|
Linda Chapa LaVia (born August 16, 1966) is a Democratic member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 83rd District since 2003. The district covers part of Kane County, including the city of Aurora. She was first elected to the Illinois General Assembly in 2002 defeating Bob O'Connor, an Aurora Alderman-At-Large, becoming the first Hispanic to win a seat in the state legislature outside of Cook County.
In 2014, Chapa LaVia made racial comments by calling state Representative John Anthony a "half." Anthony is black with Puerto Rican heritage. Chap LaVia later apologized for her remarks on the House floor. In her apology she said, "I want to deeply apologize to my side of the aisle over here, my colleagues, my brothers and sisters for my personality meltdown yesterday."
Chapa LaVia, her husband and two children live in Aurora.
- Riopell, Mike (2014-04-10). "Chapa LaVia apologizes over racial comments". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Lord, Steve (2015-06-24). "Chapa LaVia launches run for Aurora mayor". Aurora Beacon News/Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Lord, Steve. "Irvin, Guzman lead in Aurora mayoral primary". Aurora Beacon-News. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- Newman, Craig (2012-09-02). "Who are the Illinois delegates to the Democratic National Convention?". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- Lazansky, Shea (November 12, 2018). "Pritzker: Transition to be focused on veterans". Morris Daily Herald. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- Representative Linda Chapa LaVia (D) 83rd District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Linda Chapa LaVia at Illinois House Democrats
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|