1 January 1963 |
Peckham, London, England
|Notable work||Bad Girls (1999–2003)
EastEnders (1991-1992 & 2006-)
|Spouse(s)||Stavros Virilis (1992–present)|
Linda Virilis, known professionally by her maiden name, Linda Henry (born 1 January 1963) is an British actress, known for her roles as Yvonne Atkins in the ITV television drama Bad Girls (1999–2003) and Shirley Carter in the BBC soap opera EastEnders, a role she has played since 2006. She had previously appeared in Eastenders as the original Lorraine Salter, the mother of Mandy Salter from 1991 to 1992. Her other TV credits include Cracker (1995), Prime Suspect (1997) and Trial & Retribution (1998). She has also appeared in the films Beautiful Thing (1996) and The Business (2005).
Henry was brought up in Peckham, London. She spent some time with the 'Old Vic Youth Theatre', and at seventeen she went to the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art. Henry later set up a production company, Buster, which still exists although she is no longer involved with it.
As well as her role in Bad Girls she is also remembered for her role as Sandra in the film Beautiful Thing  and has appeared in the British television programmes The Bill, Birds of a Feather, Touching Evil, Cracker, A Touch of Frost, Trial & Retribution as Marilyn Spark and EastEnders, where she played Lorraine Salter, the prostitute mother of the teenage tearaway Mandy Salter (Nicola Stapleton).
On 8 September 2006 it was announced Henry would be returning to EastEnders in a different role, this time playing Shirley Carter, mother to Carly (Kellie Shirley) and Deano (Matt Di Angelo) and ex-wife of Kevin (Phil Daniels). Shirley arrived in Walford in December 2006. Henry took part in the 2008 "WestEnders" Children in Need appeal where she sang alongside other EastEnders cast members. She is close friends with co-star Cheryl Fergison, who played her on-screen best friend Heather Trott. She also took part in a 2008 EastEnders edition of The Weakest Link and appears in the 2010 spin-off series EastEnders: E20. In 2009, her co-star in Beautiful Thing, Tameka Empson (she played next-door neighbour Leah Russell to Henry's Sandra Gangel) would join EastEnders herself, as Kim Fox.
Henry married Stavros Virilis in 1992.
In 2014 she was arrested for racially aggravated harassment. Henry pled not guilty and stood trial on 11 February 2015 at Bexley Magistrates Court in South London. She was charged under her married name and later cleared of all charges.
- 2010: EastEnders: E20 — Shirley Carter (5 episodes)
- 2006: EastEnders — Shirley Carter (2006–present)
- 2005: The Business — Shirley
- 1999: Bad Girls — Yvonne Atkins (1999–2003)
- 1998: Trial & Retribution — Marilyn Spark (2 episodes)
- 1997: Born to Run — Judith (1 episode)
- 1997: Touching Evil TV series .... Justine Barber
- 1996: Beautiful Thing — Sandra Gangel
- 1996: A Touch of Frost — Sue Venables (1 episode)
- 1993: The Bill — Anne Riley / ... (2 episodes, 1993–1995)
- 1995: An Independent Man — Julie Read (1 episode)
- 1995: Prime Suspect — Forensic Scientist
- 1994: Casualty — Diane Daw (1 episode)
- 1994: Moving Story — Sheila Roebuck (1 episode)
- 1993: Cracker — Mrs. Perry (1 episode)
- 1993: Don't Leave Me This Way — Janet Weir
- 1991: EastEnders — Lorraine Salter (1991–92)
- 1990: Birds of a Feather — Viv McCarthy (1 episode)
- 1990: The Play on One — Carol Fairwater (1 episode)
- 1989: The Nineteenth Hole — Council tenant (1 episode, 1989)
- 1989: Forever Green — Doc (1 episode, 1989)
- 19??: Eurocops — Linda Jackson (3 episodes)
- 1988: For Queen & Country — Kim
- 1988: The Comic Strip Presents... — Jackie (1 episode, 1988)
- 1988: Screen Two (1 episode, 1988)
- 1988: Rockliffe's Babies — Sharon Hagerty (1 episode, 1988)
- 1982: The Young Ones — Girl at party (1 episode, 1982)
- EastEnders' Linda Henry cleared: Heather Trott actress Cheryl Fergison shows her support for ex co-star - Mirror Online
- "Linda Henry on TV.com". TV.com. TV.com. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Shirley Carter". Holy Soap. Channel Five. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Linda Henry". MTEDB. MTEDB. Archived from the original on 2007-08-10. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "BBC - EastEnders - Characters - Shirley Carter played by Linda Henry". BBC Online. BBC. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Former Bad Girl to join EastEnders - RTÉ Ten". RTÉ.ie. RTÉ.ie. Archived from the original on 2012-10-26. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Thomas, Kate; Crossley, Lucy (27 November 2014). "EastEnders star Linda Henry vows to fight race-hate claim in court". Mail Online. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "BBC News - EastEnders actress to stand trial for harassment". BBC Online. 27 November 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Stenhouse, Ann (27 November 2014). "EastEnders star Linda Henry to stand trial accused of hurling racist abuse outside restaurant - 3am & Mirror Online". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "EastEnders' Linda Henry cleared over 'racist abuse' rant". BBC. 11 February 2015. Retrieved 11 February 2015.