Linda K. Burton
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Linda K. Burton|
|16th Relief Society General President|
|March 31, 2012– April 1, 2017|
|Called by||Thomas S. Monson|
|Predecessor||Julie B. Beck|
|Successor||Jean B. Bingham|
|Residence||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Alma mater||University of Utah|
|Spouse(s)||Craig P. Burton (m. 1973)|
Linda Kjar Burton (born October 19, 1952) was the sixteenth general president of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 2012 to 2017.
Linda Kjar was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, to parents Morris Ashton Kjar and Marjorie Castleton, the second of six children. While in her adolescence, she accompanied her family to Christchurch, New Zealand while her father served as president of the church's New Zealand South Mission. While in New Zealand, she attended the Church College of New Zealand.
She married Craig Palmer Burton in 1973. She studied elementary education at the University of Utah. She and her husband are the parents of six children. From 2007 to 2010, she served with her husband while he presided over the Korea Seoul West Mission.
Burton worked briefly as an LDS seminary teacher, and served previously on the general boards of the church's Relief Society and Primary organizations. As president of the Relief Society, Burton was an ex officio member of the church's Boards of Trustees/Education. In 2015, Burton became the first female member of the LDS Church's Priesthood and Family Executive Council (formerly Priesthood Executive Council, or PEC). In April 2017, Burton was released and succeeded by Jean B. Bingham, who had been serving as a counselor in the church's Primary General Presidency.
- Van Leer, Twila (March 31, 2012). "LDS Church announces changes to presiding bishopric, Relief Society presidency, First Quorum of the Seventy". Deseret News. Archived from the original on 2014-11-26.
- "New Presiding Bishopric, Relief Society Presidency and General Authorities Announced at Mormon General Conference", MormonNewsroom.org (news release), LDS Church, March 31, 2012, archived from the original on 2014-11-26
- "First Presidency Announces New Relief Society General Presidency: New member of Primary General Presidency also called", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2017-04-01
- "General Relief Society Presidency and Board", Callings: Relief Society, LDS Church, archived from the original on 2014-11-26
- "Linda K. Burton, Relief Society General President", Organization: General Auxiliaries, LDS Church, archived from the original on 2014-11-26
- Stack, Peggy (March 31, 2012). "New leaders for Mormon women". The Salt Lake Tribune. Archived from the original on 2014-11-26.
- Walch, Tad (18 August 2015). "In a significant move, women to join key, leading LDS Church councils". Deseret News..
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints titles|
Julie B. Beck
| Relief Society General President
March 31, 2012 – April 1, 2017
Jean B. Bingham