Linda Linda Linda
|Linda Linda Linda|
|Directed by||Nobuhiro Yamashita|
|Produced by||Hiroyuki Negishi
|Written by||Kōsuke Mukai
|Music by||James Iha
The Blue Hearts
Base Ball Bear
Linda Linda Linda (リンダ リンダ リンダ?) is a 2005 Japanese film directed by Nobuhiro Yamashita. It stars Bae Doona, Aki Maeda, Yu Kashii, and Shiori Sekine (of the band Base Ball Bear) as teenagers who form a band to cover songs by the Japanese punk rock band the Blue Hearts; the film's title comes from the hit Blue Hearts song "Linda Linda". A subtitled DVD was released on May 8, 2007. The band, Paranmaum (Korean for "the Blue Hearts"), released a CD single in Japan and Korea titled We Are Paranmaum. The film is licensed for the US market by VIZ Media.
A group of schoolgirls have formed a band to perform at their high school cultural festival in three days' time, but the guitarist and singer have quit. The remaining members, Kei, Kyoko, and Nozomi, decide to perform covers of Blue Hearts songs, including "Linda Linda", but need a new singer. They ask the first girl that walks by, Son, a Korean exchange student who is not fluent in Japanese, and name their band Paranmaum. The first day ends with all the girls working their hardest to learn their parts. Son practices at a karaoke parlor, and Kyoko talks to her crush, Kazuya.
The next day, the girls begin practicing early at school. When they regroup after school, Kyoko arrives late and they miss their time slot. Kei calls her ex-boyfriend and arranges some practice time in a studio. They leave late at night to return to school, and continue practising through the rest of the night.
By the next morning, Paranmaum are well rehearsed. As school begins, the girls go to their respective places to help out during the festival. Kei practices her guitar parts and talks to her rocker friend Takako. Son is supposed to help with the Japan-Korea culture exchange, but daydreams about the band. Kyoko sells crepes and Nozomi falls asleep on her bass guitar in a classroom.
Kei and Kyoko wake up Nozomi and fetch Son. Son rebuffs a classmate's confession of love. Over dinner at Nozomi's house, the girls persuade Kyoko to talk to her crush Kazuya before the performance the next day. They end the night back at school, practicing until early morning.
On the day of the performance, Paranmaum returns to the studio to practice. Exhausted, they fall asleep. Kei dreams about being celebrated and performing for the Ramones at the Budokan. At the school, the stage managers search for the band, but to no avail; to pass the time, their friends Takako and Moe perform impromptu music. Kei is woken by Kyoko's cellphone when Oe calls to ask where Kyoko is. The band rushes back to school in a taxi. Kyoko meets Kazuya while the band sets up minutes before the performance. Kyoko finally arrives and Paranmaum performs to an excited crowd.
- Bae Doona - Son
- Aki Maeda - Kyoko Yamada
- Yuu Kashii - Kei Tachibana
- Shiori Sekine - Nozomi Shirakawa
- Katsuya Kobayashi - Kazuya Oe
- Takayo Mimura - Rinko Marumoto
- Shione Yukawa - Moe Imamura
- Yuko Yamazaki - Takako Nakajima
- Keisuke Koide - Abe
- Masaki Miura - Tomoki Maezono
- Masahiro Komoto - Teacher Koyama
- Kenichi Matsuyama - Makihara
The soundtrack was released on July 20, 2005. The original instrumental tracks were composed by James Iha of the Smashing Pumpkins. The vocal tracks include Paranmaum (the band from the movie) singing covers of the Blue Hearts songs "Linda Linda", "Boku no Migite (My Right Hand)" and "Owaranai Uta (Never Ending Song)". There are also two songs by Base Ball Bear (the band Shiori Sekine belongs to in reality); they are "Sayonara Nostalgia" and "April Mirage". These two songs can be heard playing in the "crêpe shop" scenes featuring Kyoko and Oe Kazuya. Shione Yukawa (who plays Moe Imamura in the movie) and Hanako (from the band me-ism) also perform a few songs on stage at the festival itself.
- James Iha - Oopuningu Taitoru (2:44)
- Paranmaum - Linda Linda (2:38)
- James Iha - Houkago (1:04)
- James Iha - Yonin No Fuukei (1:20)
- Paranmaum - Boku No Migite (3:06)
- James Iha - Aru Hi No Hirusagari (0:26)
- Base Ball Bear - April Mirage (4:36)
- James Iha - Hiiragi Matsuri (0:30)
- Base Ball Bear - SAYONARA-NOSTALGIA (4:17)
- James Iha - Kaze Ni Fukarete (1:04)
- James Iha - Cat Walk (0:46)
- James Iha - Taisetsu Na Jikan (3:12)
- James Iha - Son No Yume (1:13)
- James Iha - Kei To Kyouko to Nozomi (0:42)
- James Iha - Yuugure No Kaerimichi (1:36)
- James Iha - Mabayui Gogo (0:53)
- Yukawa Shione - The Water Is Wide (1:29)
- James Iha - Yasashii Jikan (1:22)
- Yukawa Shione - Fuuraibou (3:19)
- James Iha - 3.30 p.m. (1:21)
- Paranmaum - Owaranai Uta (1:42)
- "DVD listing from VIZ Media". Retrieved 2007-06-01.