Linda Miller (engineer)
|Alma mater||United States Military Academy |
University of California, Berkeley
Linda Miller OBE (born 1961) is an American civil engineer who works for Bechtel. She is currently director of the excavation works for the Sydney Metro project, having recently been in charge of Crossrail's Farringdon Station.
Miller is from Arizona. She has a Bachelors degree in engineering from United States Military Academy in West Point, New York. After graduating, Miller started her career in the United States Army, where she flew helicopters. She earned a Masters degree in engineering from the University of California, Berkeley.
Miller has worked as Bechtel for more than 25 years. Throughout her career she has been a champion of engineering projects that leave a positive legacy. While working on the Boston Central Artery, a 161 mile road and tunnel project, she appeared on a PBS documentary. She worked on a new launch project at Cape Canaveral and the Seattle Monorail Project.
She worked on the Connaught Tunnel, a Victorian rail tunnel built in 1878 between Stratford and North Woolwich. At the start the team only had 135 year-old drawings as a guide, and had to use giant props to support the excavation. She described the project as 'open heart surgery'. She thinks it is boom time for tunnelling, with new technology putting the UK at the cutting-edge. She was seconded as project manager of Farringdon station. The station includes platform and concourse tunnels, ticket halls, escalators, and adits built using sprayed concrete lining. In March 2017, Miller left the UK and moved to Australia to begin work on the Sydney Metro.
She encourages all young women she meets to consider careers in engineering; including the children of Crossrail staff. She was selected as one of the Top 50 Influential Women in Engineering in the UK in 2016. That year, she was shortlisted for the WISE Campaign 2016 Woman of the Year Award. She appeared on the BBC Two documentary about Crossrail, The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway. She has been a speaker at the Royal Institution, the Institution of Civil Engineers and Farringdon station. In 2017 she was awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for "services to engineering and to promoting gender equality".
- Cacciottolo, Mario (2015). "Who wants to work in a tunnel?". BBC News. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- WISE. "Inspiration | Linda Miller". www.wisecampaign.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "#TeamCrossrail Blog: Linda Miller, Project Manager Connaught Tunnel". Crossrail. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Women in Engineering". Bechtel Corporate. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Bechtel Corporation (2014-10-02), Unleash Potential: Leaving A Positive Legacy, retrieved 2018-04-01
- "Meet the stars of Series 2". Crossrail. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "The most complex urban transportation project in U.S. history". Bechtel Corporate. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Deep inside London's biggest construction project ever". Guide. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Dowling, Tim (2017-05-23). "The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway review – like Top Gear for train fans". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Engineers think smaller for monorail bridge". seattlepi.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "In Pictures: The Connaught Tunnel". Londonist. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Crossrail Project (2014-07-23), Behind the hoardings: Crossrail Connaught Tunnel, retrieved 2018-04-01
- "Meet the stars of Series 1". Crossrail. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Topham, Gwyn (2015-06-05). "Always boring, never dull: Britain at cutting edge of tunnelling boom". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Carpenter, Louise. "Tunnel Vision: Vogue Meets The Women Of Crossrail". Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "IABSE British Group – FoD London 2016 – Speakers". iabse.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Smart Cities Council | Partner spotlight: Bechtel, ABB, Oracle, SunGardPS, Bit Stew, Imex". smartcitiescouncil.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Construction Manager – News". www.constructionmanagermagazine.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Bechtel Engineers Named In UK's Top 50 Women In Engineering". Bechtel Corporate. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Bechtel. "Bechtel's Linda Miller Shortlisted for the 2016 WISE Woman of the Year Award". 3blmedia.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "12th Brunel International opening lecture, London". Institution of Civil Engineers. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Crossrail/ Bechtel – Site visit around Crossrail's Farringdon Station | Rail Week". www.railweek.com. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Engineering secrets of Crossrail". Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Lee, Rebecca. "Women lead Queen's Birthday Honours". www.ciht.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Knighthood for Westfield founder Frank Lowy". www.theconstructionindex.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-04-01.