Linda Ruth Petzold
Linda Petzold at MFO, 2006
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Awards||J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software (1991), ACM Fellow (2011), SIAM/ACM Prize in Computational Science and Engineering (2013)|
|Fields||Computer science, Mechanical engineering|
|Institutions||University of California, Santa Barbara|
|Thesis||An Efficient Numerical Method for Highly Oscillatory Ordinary Differential Equations (1978)|
|Doctoral advisor||Charles William Gear|
Linda Ruth Petzold (born 1954) is a professor of computer science and mechanical engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where she is also listed as affiliated faculty in the department of mathematics. Her research concerns differential algebraic equations and the computer simulation of large real-world social and biological networks.
Petzold did both her undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, earning a bachelor's degree in mathematics and computer science 1974 and a doctorate in computer science in 1978 under the supervision of C. William Gear.
Petzold was the first winner of the J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software, for her work on DASSL, a system for the numerical solution of differential algebraic equations. In 2011 she won the SIAM/ACM Prize in Computational Science and Engineering.
She was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 2004 "for advances in the numerical solution of differential/algebraic equations and their incorporation into widely distributed software." She became a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics in 2009 and of the Association for Computing Machinery in 2013; She is also a fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Nya hedersdoktorer utsedda inom teknik och naturvetenskap (in Swedish), Uppsala University, September 18, 2014, retrieved 2015-06-11.
- Faculty profile, UCSB, retrieved 2015-06-11.
- Linda Petzold at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- The Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software Archived 2015-06-13 at the Wayback Machine, ICIAM 2007, retrieved 2015-06-11.
- ACM award citations, retrieved 2015-06-11.
- NAE member profile, retrieved 2015-06-11.
- SIAM Fellows list, retrieved 2015-06-11.
- Cha, Christine (January 10, 2012), "UCSB Professors Lead the Way in Computer Science", Daily Nexus, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- "Conferment Ceremony 2015". Uppsala University. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Estrada, Andrea (March 10, 2011), "Linda Petzold Receives UCSB Faculty's Top Honor", The UC Santa Barbara Current
- Linda Petzold (June 1981). "An Efficient Numerical Method for Highly Oscillatory Ordinary Differential Equations" (PDF). SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis. 18 (3): 455–479.