||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for academics. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Linda Smircich (born 1948) is a Professor of Management in the Isenberg School of Management, University of Massachusetts Amherst where she teaches Organizational Alternative Paradigms. She is part of the critical management studies approach field and a critical researcher in organizational culture and gender.
Linda Smircich has a B.S. from State University of New York at Oswego, M.B.A. and Ph.D. from Syracuse University. She was previously Chair of the Management Department at the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Her research interests are in the fields of organizational behavior and theory; qualitative research, alternative paradigms; cultural perspectives on organizations and management; organization change; gender and organization, feminist theory. Her earlier scholarly writing were centered on organizational culture, but currently she is pursuing a cultural and critical perspective on organization and management. Linda Smircich various publications are often co-authored with Marta Calàs and apply insights from cultural studies, postmodernism, feminism, and post-colonial theory to analyze organizational topics such as leadership, business ethics, and globalization.
- Outstanding College Teacher Award, 2009 Isenberg School of Management
- Distinguished PhD Alumni Award, 2008 Syracuse University Whitman School of Management
- Sage Award for Scholarly Contribution, 2006 Gender, Diversity & Organizations Division, Academy of Management
On Smircich and Calás
- Joanna Brewis, "Othering Organization Theory: Marta Calás and Linda Smircich", The Sociological Review, Special Issue: Sociological Review Monograph Series: Contemporary Organization Theory, edited by Campbell Jones and Rolland Munro, Volume 53, Issue Supplement s1, pp. 80–94, October 2005
- Linda Smircich @ UMass Archived 2010-06-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Brewis, Joanna (October 2005). "Othering Organization Theory: Marta Calás and Linda Smircich". The Sociological Review, Special Issue: Sociological Review Monograph Series: Contemporary Organization Theory. 53 (Supplement s1): 80–94.
- The Oxford Handbook of Organization Theory, At Home from Mars to Somalia: Recounting Organization Studies (Marta B. Calás, Linda Smircich)