|Highest point||Mount Oldfield|
|Local government area||Mackay Region|
Lindeman Island is an island in the Lindeman Group of the Whitsunday Islands off the coast of Queensland, Australia. The island was named by Captain Bedwell after his sub-lieutenant, George Sidney Lindeman whilst aboard the Royal Navy vessel HMS Virago.
Lindeman Island was created after a volcanic mountain range was drowned by rising sea levels.
Lindeman Island resort was closed on 31 January 2012. On the 27 April 2012 it was purchased by White Horse Holding, a Chinese firm, for $12 million. The price paid was considerably lower than expected because the resort needed refurbishment.
White Horse are planning to redevelop the Island into three luxury resorts (5 star beach resort, 6 star spa resort, and 6 star eco resort) including upgrading the airstrip and facilities, a proposed 'safe harbour' where approximately 50 boats will be able to moor, two tourist villa precincts and a central village that will have a number of restaurants and cafes, sporting facilities, retail shops and communal recreation areas.
The Lindeman Island Project is currently going through what is known as the ‘Environmental impact statement process’ (EIS) If a ‘coordinated project’ has the potential to cause environmental, social or economic impacts, the project proponent must prepare an environmental impact statement.
White Horse are anticipating an approval late this year with construction to begin in 2017.
- "Lindeman Island - Culture and History". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. 1 January 2009. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- "About Lindeman Islands". Department of Environment and Resource Management. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Transport in Whitsunday Islands". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Club med looks for investors". Whitsunday Times. APN News & Media Ltd. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- "Lindeman shuts the doors". Whitsunday Times. APN News & Media. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- Dan Nancarrow (27 April 2012). "Run-down Lindeman Island sells for $12m". Brisbane Times. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "Home - Lindeman Island resort". Lindeman Island resort. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- Branco, Jorge. "$600 million revamp planned for run-down Whitsundays resort". Brisbane Times. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lindeman Island.|
- Lindeman Island. Queensland Holidays
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|