Location of Linden, Iowa
|• Total||0.79 sq mi (2.05 km2)|
|• Land||0.79 sq mi (2.05 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,119 ft (341 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||207|
|• Density||252/sq mi (97.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0458403|
Linden is a city in Dallas County, Iowa, United States. The population was 226 at the 2000 census and 199 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Des Moines–West Des Moines Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Linden is located at (41.643709, -94.270294).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center|
As of the census of 2010, there were 199 people, 84 households, and 58 families residing in the city. The population density was 251.9 inhabitants per square mile (97.3/km2). There were 92 housing units at an average density of 116.5 per square mile (45.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.0% White, 0.5% African American, and 0.5% Pacific Islander. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.0% of the population.
There were 84 households of which 26.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.0% were non-families. 23.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.81.
The median age in the city was 44.4 years. 23.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.5% were from 25 to 44; 33.6% were from 45 to 64; and 14.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 58.3% male and 41.7% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 226 people, 91 households, and 74 families residing in the city. The population density was 286.1 people per square mile (110.5/km²). There were 101 housing units at an average density of 127.9 per square mile (49.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.12% White, and 0.88% from two or more races.
There were 91 households out of which 31.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.6% were married couples living together, 4.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.6% were non-families. 16.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.77.
In the city, the population was spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 115.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,500, and the median income for a family was $32,917. Males had a median income of $29,821 versus $21,354 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,392. About 6.7% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen and 13.8% of those sixty five or over.
Parks and recreation
Linden has a well maintained city park, community building, and baseball field. A shelterhouse, a water fountain, and seasonal restroom facilities are located along the Raccoon River Valley Trail. Camping is available at Camp Riverside.
For outdoors and water enthusiasts, Linden has two nearby access points to the Middle Raccoon River: the Middle Raccoon River Access and the Cowles Access. The Middle Raccoon River Access is a hand carry down primitive access point to the river. Cowles Access is a hard-surface boat ramp. Camp Riverside is located at the Cowles Access.
As of 2018[update] the current mayor is Ken Basquin. Click here to go to the City of Linden website for more information on the city council, including contact info, and more.
- Travis Geopfert, American decathlete and track and field coach
- Two time Drake Relays decathlon champion (2004, 2006)
- Head track and field/cross country coach at the University of Northern Iowa from July 3, 2008, until September 30, 2009
- Assistant track and field coach (Field Events and Multi-Event Athletes) and the recruiting coordinator for the cross country/track & field programs at the University of Arkansas from October 2009
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Linden Daze 2005 website Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- Linden Daze is this Weekend
- 2015 Linden Daze
- 10th Annual Linden Daze this Weekend
- Raccoon River Valley Trail Association website Archived 2011-10-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- Dallas County Raccoon River Valley Trail website Archived 2011-08-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- River Access website: Kayak Rental Floats Archived 2011-10-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) website: North Raccoon River, South Raccoon River, Middle Raccoon River, and Raccoon River Expedition & Fishing Guide
- Outdoors Iowa website: Middle Raccoon River - P28 to Cowles Access Archived 2011-09-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- University of Northern Iowa Athletics profile: Travis Geopfert Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- University of Arkansas Razorbacks Athletics profile: Travis Geopfert
- Arkansas Razorbacks: Travis Geofert
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Linden, Iowa.|
- City-Data Comprehensive statistical data and more about Linden