Linden-McKinley High School
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Linden-McKinley High School|
|1320 Duxberry Avenue
Columbus, Ohio, (Franklin County) 43211
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Columbus City Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Daniel Good |
|Color(s)||Maroon and White |
|Athletics conference||Columbus City League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Josh DeVoll|
To ensure every student acquires the knowledge, and receives the personal support necessary, to graduate from high school prepared to successfully pursue either a career or post-secondary education.
Currently Linden McKinley maintains rigorous advanced placement courses in: English literature, English language, calculus, government and US history. In addition Kenyon College classes in English and Biology are held on site for dual credit.
Linden STEM Project
Beginning in the 2008-2009 school year, Linden McKinley high school will embark into a STEM curriculum. STEM, (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), will introduce cutting edge project-based learning alongside incorporated technology. The school will house grades 7-12 which will allow accelerated middle school students to receive additional high school credits in advanced coursework. In 2009, the current Linden McKinley high school will begin renovation to fully support the STEM curriculum.
The Linden STEM Project will have many educational and corporate sponsors such as: Ohio Dominican University, The Ohio State University, Battelle, and COSI, and students will be given opportunities for enriched instruction and post-secondary opportunities. Technology will be used to allow students to reach classrooms and professors around the world for interaction and educational opportunities. The school will be designed to serve students who want a learning experience that prepares them for the global job market through the belief that math, science and technology are essential to being successful in an ever changing world.
Leadership skills are developed through extra-curricular activities available both during and after the school day: Student council, GEWELS (Girls Empowered with Exceptional Leadership Skills), National Honor Society, SAVESNet, athletics, cheerleading, drill team, and marching band.
Athletic State Championships
The quarterly "Roundtable" brings educators, parents, agency providers, and community members together in a collaborative effort, for continuous school improvement. The Parent-Teacher Association, athletic and band boosters offer additional opportunities for parent involvement.
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- James E. Bowman - Linden's First 3-time All City Basketball Player, Former President of the Columbus Urban League
- Cedric Brown - NFL Player
- Kerry Charles - WGHP-TV News Anchor
- Jim Cleamons - NBA Player and Coach
- Gene D'Angelo - Longtime WBNS-TV General Manager (Wrote LMHS' alma mater)
- Buster Douglas - Boxing, World Heavyweight Champion
- Shaun Gunnell - 3-time All-City and 2-time All-State basketball player
- Hilmer Kenty - Boxing, World Lightweight Champion
- Jerry Page - Boxing, Olympic Gold Medalist
- Ernie Sullivan - CEO of Sullivan Staffing, Board Member Central State University, Former Vice President of Bank One
- Gene Thomas Harris - Superintendent, Columbus Public Schools
- William Thomas, Jr. - Actor
- Bobby Walston - NFL Player
- Ronnie Williams - CEO of Capital Choice Group Inc, and Small Business Entrepreneur
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- AdvancED. "AdvancED - Institution Summary". Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AAA". Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2009-01-23.