29 August 1946 |
Melbourne Victoria, Australia
Lindy Davies (29 August 1946, Melbourne, Victoria) has worked as a Director, Actress, Actor Trainer and Performance Consultant, winning awards and nominations for performance, direction and inspirational leadership.
Davies has worked as a Performance Consultant in film in Toronto, Vancouver, New York, London, Sydney and Melbourne. She has conducted master classes for actors, writers and directors at the Canadian Film Centre from 2010 - 2016.
- National Theatre of Slovenia: Scenes From an Execution
- National Theatre of Slovenia: The Changeling
- Moscow Maly Theatre, Old Times.
- Wyndham's Theatre West End, Old Times (with Julie Christie, Leigh Lawson and Harriet Walter).
- Theatr Clywd, Old Times (with Julie Christie and Leigh Lawson)
- Chichester Festival Theatre, Hedda Gabler (with Harriet Walter Nicholas Le Prevost and Phyllida Law)
- Chichester Festival Theatre, Suzannah Andler (with Julie Christie)
- Sydney Theatre Company, Three Days of Rain, A Month in the Country (Opera House), Old Times
- Bell Shakespeare Company:, As You Like It (Opera House);
- Belvoir St Company B, Scenes from an Execution (nominated for a Sydney Theatre Award for Best Director)
- State Theatre Company of South Australia, Room to Move
- Playbox, Fool for Love
- Victorian College of the Arts, The Rover, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Women Beware Women (Middleton/Barker), The Cherry Orchard, Three Sisters, Lysistrata.
- National Institute of Dramatic Art, A Midsummer Night’s Dream; Electra; Miss Sarah Sampson.
- Pram Factory: Calling For Help
- La Mama: Calling For Help
- Open Stage: Marat Sade; Ride Across Lake Constance; The Birthday Party
Lindy Davies has developed an approach to performance: a process; which is an intuitive imaginative connection to language, space and transformation.
She has worked as a Performance Advisor/Consultant on many films including:
- Sarah Polley’s Away from Her with Julie Christie.
- Lindy also worked with Julie Christie on Neverland and Troy.
- Alan Rudolph's Afterglow with Julie Christie.
- Sally Potter's The Tango Lesson.
- Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet with Julie Christie.
- Dennis Potter's Karaoke with Julie Christie.
- Michael Whyte's The Railway Stationman with Julie Christie.
- Pat O’Connor's Fools of Fortune with Julie Christie.
- Australia: includes Looking For Alibrandi, Radiance, The Leaving of Liverpool, Talk, MDA.
- Indivision Lab 2009 AFC Consultant alongside Christine Vachon, Susanne Bier and Claudia Karvan.
- Screen Australia 2011 Flash Black Performance Workshop for Indigenous Directors.
- From November 1995 to January 2007, Lindy Davies was the Head of the School of Drama at the former Victorian College of Arts in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Lindy Davies created an integrated curriculum for the training of Actors, Directors, Writers, Theatre-Makers, Designers and Technical Practitioners at the School of Drama of the former Victorian College of the Arts in Melbourne.
- From 1979-1982 she held the position of Head of Acting at the Victorian College of Arts.
- From 1970-1978 she was a Lecturer in Drama at Melbourne State College.
- Malcolm, (AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actress)
- Belvoir St Company B, Scenes from an Execution (Galactea), (nominated for a Critic’s Circle Award for Best Actress)
- N.I.D.A. Company, Vassa, (Vassa) (nominated for a Critic’s Circle Award for Best Actress)
- State Theatre Company of South Australia, The Seagull (Arkadina) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Martha), Wild Honey (Anna Petrovna).
- Hunter Valley Theatre Company, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Martha), Condor Award for Best Actress.
- New Work: Lyndal Jones: Prediction Piece; Nan Hassall: Biennale Piece; Jenny Kemp: The White Hotel.
- Playbox, Upside Down at the Bottom of the World, (Frida), World is Made of Glass (Magda), Buried Child (Haley).
- Rex Cramphorn's Actor's Development Stream, Antony and Cleopatra,(Cleopatra) Britannicus (Agrippina), Hamlet (Gertrude) Not Suitable for Adults (Kate).
- La Mama, Mishka and Nomagava.(Mishka); Thoughts on Meeting A Friend; Halewyn; Tombstone.
- The Pram Factory, Marvellous Melbourne; Marvellous Melbourne II; Chicago Chicago; Don's Party.
- La Mama Experimental Theatre Company: Calm Down Mother; Comings and Goings; Birth of Space; I Don’t Know Who to Feel Sorry For; Dimboola, Halewyn.
- Malcolm, (AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actress)
- Sidney Myer Performing Arts Award - A special citation for her contribution to performing arts in Australia.
- Recipient of the Monash University Distinguished Alumni Award for inspirational leadership and significant contribution to the theory and practice of drama.
- "The 1998 Rex Cramphorn Memorial Lecture: Become the Change". Australasian Drama Studies. Issue 34. April 1999.
- "Cate Blanchett - Biography". Cate Blanchett. 11 May 2011.
- Walter, Harriet (1999). Other People's Shoes: Thoughts on Acting. Viking. ISBN 9780670883530.
- Billington, Michael (2007). Harold Pinter. Faber and Faber. p. 371. ISBN 978-0571234769.
- Christie, Julie (11 September 2006). Away from her (DVD Commentary). Canada: Lionsgate Films (US).
Julie Christie refers to Davies as her acting guru
- Ginters, Laura (April 2007). "Lindy Davies: a path to a process, Part 1". Australasian Drama Studies (50).
- Ginters, Laura (April 2008). "Lindy Davies: A Path to a Process, Part 2". Australasian Drama Studies (52).
- Strube, Helen (1996). The autonomous actor : a case study of Lindy Davies (Thesis). Queensland University of Technology.
- "Lindy Davies". cfccreates.com. Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- "Lindy Davies directs "The Changeling" in Drama - Slovenian National Theatre". Vimeo. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- McFadyean, Melanie (23 July 1995). "Julie Darling". Independent – via independent.co.uk.
- Gross, John (17 August 1996). "Hedda to Hedda". The Telegraph – via telegraph.co.uk.
- "Distinguished Alumni Awards". Monash University.